FSN: Gophers' Campbell not backing down from TCU, Ohio State comments

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

Gophers linebacker De'Vondre Campbell made a pair of statements last season that turned some heads.

For starters, he said TCU -- Minnesota's early non-conference opponent -- was "a lot better" than an Ohio State team that eventually went on to win the national championship. Campbell also declared that the Gophers would face the Buckeyes again three weeks after their mid-November matchup, alluding to the Big Ten championship game.

The latter didn't happen as Minnesota fell one win short of playing for the conference crown. The former is debatable, too, as the Buckeyes looked the part of a dominant national champion as they rolled past Oregon in the title game.

Several months after his controversial comments, Campbell and his Gophers teammates are preparing for the 2015 season -- which just so happens to begin against that same TCU team. When asked Thursday about his previous comments, Campbell doubled down.

"I'm not taking anything away from Ohio State. Great team. Once again, congratulations to them on winning the national championship," Campbell said. "But overall, I just feel like TCU had a better overall team and it really consisted of the players. I feel like their defense complemented their offense. I don't know. It's just what I think from playing against both teams, honestly."

http://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...wn-from-fierce-tcu-ohio-state-comments-040915

Go Gophers!!

Va tech probably thought tcu was better also. Osu peaked at the right time or jones was a lot better qb for them. Regardless, Campbell is in a dog fight to start, so maybe his focus should be on his own game.

I'm sure he's mostly trying to get himself and his team fired up and mentally prepared for the TCU opener, but I don't like the idea of giving OSU bulletin board material, either. As far as focusing on himself, I agree, but IIRC the reporter asked him the question about TCU earlier, he didn't bring it up himself; he just answered honestly.

I'm sure he's mostly trying to get himself and his team fired up and mentally prepared for the TCU opener, but I don't like the idea of giving OSU bulletin board material, either.

OSU doesn't need bulletin board material for a team like Minnesota who I doubt they view as a real threat. They've got bigger things to worry about than what a linebacker thinks on an 8-5 team.

Headline definitely doesn't match the story. The comments he made last year were a little out there but this is just giving his opinion on two great teams. Saying TCU is better than OSU isn't that shocking of an opinion, he would probably back off some from calling TCU "a lot better" but having the opinion that TCU was a better overall team then OSU is not that crazy of an opinion even with Ohio State winning it all last year. Who knows what would have happened if TCU had gotten a shot in the playoff.

TCU clearly played us better on defense than OSU. OSU obviously got their **** together as the season concluded and rolled through an overrated Oregon team, as well as 59-Donut game, and Alabama. It was an impressive three game stretch. Even more so if you saw the VA tech embarrassment.

TCU should have made it in over Oregon or Florida State, although I understand the weak reasons for keeping those two in the field.

What an epic matchup it would have been.

TCU lost some good players, as did the gophs. Should be interesting to watch the chess match b/t Jerry and Patterson.

I can't disagree at all with Campbell comments they don't have a 8 team playoff like they should and TCU would of been in. Some argue they should been one of the top 4 I thougt so. They were the best team I saw all year. They weren't in so we will never know. But can't say they weren't.

I'm sure he's mostly trying to get himself and his team fired up and mentally prepared for the TCU opener, but I don't like the idea of giving OSU bulletin board material, either. As far as focusing on himself, I agree, but IIRC the reporter asked him the question about TCU earlier, he didn't bring it up himself; he just answered honestly.

Now if we can just get an OSU player to say something bad about the Gophers, then we will beat them.

Top Bottom