Frank Veldman

Chris Monter

Reaction score
I talked to Frank Veldman after his Eastview team defeated Apple Valley in overtime. He is visiting Southern Illinois tomorrow and will miss his team's game in La Crosse. He visited North Dakota State last week and one of their coaches was at the game Friday. The new Minnesota DC visited Eastview to talk to Veldman Friday. His grandfather was a wrestler and football at the "U."

Chris Monter

Chris....after talking to Frank, is there anyway this kid walks on to the U?

I think he is the one kid left in the state that could be a big time contributor in the Big 10.

Yes, I am also curious as to whether Frank has serious interest in the Gophers or vice versa. Like Bob, I think he really be an asset to the team's future.

Veldman is 6'4 and about 195 lbs. He's a top-shelf athlete. In addition to football, he's a solid basketball player and an elite high jumper in track. I've been told that he has never really hit the weights that hard. I could see him adding weight pretty easily once he gets into the S&C program. Could this kid be a 6'4 220 lb OLB in waiting? His speed might not open many eyes at FS, but at OLB he could be another Mike Rallis. The kid can hit, he's a sure tackler and has great instincts. I'd like to see him at The U.

VELDMAN has chosen NDSU over Northern Illinois, Southern Illinois, SDSU and Walk On @ Minnesota.

should be a great get, disappointed in Ernie from Bemidji & Bjorkand choosing a Minnesota Walk on over NDSU, but oh well.

VELDMAN has chosen NDSU over Northern Illinois, Southern Illinois, SDSU and Walk On @ Minnesota.

should be a great get, disappointed in Ernie from Bemidji & Bjorkand choosing a Minnesota Walk on over NDSU, but oh well.

Kill might be calling if Osunde is gone as seems to be confirmed at this point.

Dang, this was a kid that I really hoped would walk on at the U.

I am not 100% sure lakes is right because he said similar things about a ton of other guys who didn't end up going to NDSU (Bjorklund, Heifort, Pfeiffer), but if this is true I guess I can't fault the kid. I don't know why a kid would choose NDSU over Northern Illinois (even though I don't see where NIU offered him).

Dang, this was a kid that I really hoped would walk on at the U.

I am not 100% sure lakes is right because he said similar things about a ton of other guys who didn't end up going to NDSU (Bjorklund, Heifort, Pfeiffer), but if this is true I guess I can't fault the kid. I don't know why a kid would choose NDSU over Northern Illinois (even though I don't see where NIU offered him).

The only thing I can see he is closer to home.

Considering the number of open scholarships the U of M now has with very few, if any visits scheduled for next weekend, I'm surprised Veldman isn't a candidate for a scholarship offer from MN.

The only thing I can see he is closer to home.

Yeah, I suppose.

The Northern Illinois thing just doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Kill seems to really like to recruit kids that he knows pretty well. He said so much and it is evident in the guys that he wanted who he was going after at Northern Illinois (Jones, Rabe, Bush, Montgomery). I really think if Kill offerred him while he was at Northern Illinois that he would have thought that this kid was talented and for real. I would have a hard time believing that Kill would be recruiting this kid at NIU, be impressed enough to offer him, then get the job at his state and not offer him here (especially since DB, H-Back, and WR are positions of need).

I guess my point is that if Kill was interested in him at Northern Illinois, I really think he would have been offered from the U. I could certainly be wrong, but...

Yeah, I suppose.

The Northern Illinois thing just doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Kill seems to really like to recruit kids that he knows pretty well. He said so much and it is evident in the guys that he wanted who he was going after at Northern Illinois (Jones, Rabe, Bush, Montgomery). I really think if Kill offerred him while he was at Northern Illinois that he would have thought that this kid was talented and for real. I would have a hard time believing that Kill would be recruiting this kid at NIU, be impressed enough to offer him, then get the job at his state and not offer him here (especially since DB, H-Back, and WR are positions of need).

I guess my point is that if Kill was interested in him at Northern Illinois, I really think he would have been offered from the U. I could certainly be wrong, but...

I am in agreement.

Frank Veldman, 6’4 200
Eastview - Sr. - DB
The 6-4, 200-pound free safety was named defensive player of the year in the new South Suburban Conference. Earned Metro Player of the Year votes. Has offers from Northern Illinois, NDSU, SDSU, and Southern Illinois as well as walk on offer at U of Minnesota.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2011/01/23/another-veldman-may-be-on-the-way/

Eastview wide receiver/safety Frank Veldman has verbally committed to NDSU

Frank Veldman, 6’4 200
Eastview - Sr. - DB
The 6-4, 200-pound free safety was named defensive player of the year in the new South Suburban Conference. Earned Metro Player of the Year votes. Has offers from Northern Illinois, NDSU, SDSU, and Southern Illinois as well as walk on offer at U of Minnesota.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2011/01/23/another-veldman-may-be-on-the-way/

Eastview wide receiver/safety Frank Veldman has verbally committed to NDSU

Well, it looks like he is heading up to Fargo. The whole Northern Illinois thing still doesn't make sense (especially since I can't find it anywhere else besides some other gopher website and I am pretty sure he confused it with Southern Illinois).

NDSU loss that is for sure..

He's not "Minnesota Athlete of the Year". He's the "Pioneer Press Male Athlete of the Year". He was "a finalist for Minnesota's Mr. Football Award, he was the South Suburban Conference defensive player of the year, and he played in the Minnesota high school all-star game last weekend". A damn fine award none-the-less, but you always exagerate things, then wonder why no one takes you too seriously.

I thought Bjorklund was switched from walk-on to scholie.

Bjorklund is a full scholarship athlete. I know Veldman's dad and grand-dad, so my next comment is not tainted toward the positive. Frank got his Senior football acolades based completely on his Junior year football and high school track and field career. His Senior football year was monumentally average. He showed no progress. I'll willingly take some shots here, but refute me.

Bjorklund is a full scholarship athlete. I know Veldman's dad and grand-dad, so my next comment is not tainted toward the positive. Frank got his Senior football acolades based completely on his Junior year football and high school track and field career. His Senior football year was monumentally average. He showed no progress. I'll willingly take some shots here, but refute me.

I went to every Eastview game last season, and to call Veldman's season average is a gross misrepresentation. He was a stud, as usual. I didn't compare his junior season with his senior season, but he was a rock on D and did everything they asked him to do on O. He had a ton of big plays on both sides of the ball. Far from average.

I went to every Eastview game last season, and to call Veldman's season average is a gross misrepresentation. He was a stud, as usual. I didn't compare his junior season with his senior season, but he was a rock on D and did everything they asked him to do on O. He had a ton of big plays on both sides of the ball. Far from average.

I'll take your word for it, but I have heard a couple of different HS coaches say that he did not "progess". Time will tell, and I wish Frank the best.

I'll take your word for it, but I have heard a couple of different HS coaches say that he did not "progess". Time will tell, and I wish Frank the best.

He was asked to do a lot of different things last year. Eastview's D was small and did not have a lot of skill in the front 7. Veldman was asked to play in the box a lot and support the run more than your average FS would be. He was the glue on that D and allowed the defensive coaches to cover a lot of their weaknesses knowing they had Frank handling things in the back.

He was practically a LB against Rosemount.

Top Bottom