Fox Sports Prediction

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score

This article expresses about where I feel the Gophers will end up (7-5) if Brosmer is pretty good, but not great. If Brosmer is great, and our D play improves, could be 8 or 9 wins. Of course, if Brosmer isn't good, or the D doesn't improve, or we have too many injuries of key personnel, the Vegas line of 4.5 might be right on. I say 8 wins. Go Gophers.

Technical correction: Fox News doesn't do sports. Fox News refers to the cable channel that is primarily politically oriented. The Fox Network has a general news arm called Fox Network news and they also have a sports arm (Fox Sports). This article is produced by someone at the local affiliate of the Fox Network (Fox9).

Perhaps the Fox group should have adjusted the name of Fox News like NBC did with MSNBC to distinguish the political news network from the rest of their news organizations.

Yeah as others have mentioned, it might be helpful to switch the title to FOX 9, also of note it's the channel that broadcasts the weekly P.J. Fleck Show.

As for the piece itself, not a bad take and I can see things turning out that way. I think he even somewhat alluded to games having the chance of going either way like with Maryland and Wisconsin.

Last note on FOX, anyone else really miss FOX Sports North/FOX Sports Net? Maybe it's just nostalgia but FSN had such good productions for its sports, would air national shows like The Best Damn Sports Show Period, had a great set-up for Gophers hockey and they would also publish articles about all Twin Cities teams on its website.

Plus on the national side of things it would offer some good live events like Golden Boy Boxing and college football from other parts of the country. It added some variety in the line-up and was a nice local alternative to ESPN, CBS Sports Net, NBC Sports Net and FS1. Maybe I just have nostalgia glasses on but Bally Sports North just pales in comparison.

Technical correction: Fox News doesn't do sports. Fox News refers to the cable channel that is primarily politically oriented. The Fox Network has a general news arm called Fox Network news and they also have a sports arm (Fox Sports). This article is produced by someone at the local affiliate of the Fox Network (Fox9).

Perhaps the Fox group should have adjusted the name of Fox News like NBC did with MSNBC to distinguish the political news network from the rest of their news organizations.
I respect how Fox editorially siloes Fox News from the rest of their properties.

My skin starts to crawl when I watch even a minute of their propaganda machine, but I have never noticed political bias or politics of any sort leaking into their coverage of sports. Same with local news.

This is refreshing since between Fox and Fox's co-ownership of BTN they will cover the majority of Gopher games going forward.

On the prediction thing, I was listening to an episode of the "Eyes on B1G" podcast. this is two guys from Iowa and Illinois (both start with "I") who talk about B1G football. They are doing review episodes with 3 teams to a podcast.

the one with the Gophers was.....interesting. they talk a little about the team in general and then go through the schedule and try to predict the record. the general consensus was that a lot of the games could go either way, but both guys wound up guessing/predicting that the Gophers would finish with 6 or 7 wins and make it to a bowl game.

they seemed to like the O-Line but had questions about depth at WR and RB. on defense, they said LB was the weak spot.

On the prediction thing, I was listening to an episode of the "Eyes on B1G" podcast. this is two guys from Iowa and Illinois (both start with "I") who talk about B1G football. They are doing review episodes with 3 teams to a podcast.

the one with the Gophers was.....interesting. they talk a little about the team in general and then go through the schedule and try to predict the record. the general consensus was that a lot of the games could go either way, but both guys wound up guessing/predicting that the Gophers would finish with 6 or 7 wins and make it to a bowl game.

they seemed to like the O-Line but had questions about depth at WR and RB. on defense, they said LB was the weak spot.
We are fine at RB. We need a couple receivers to step up. If healthy I think our linebackers are fine. It's the safeties and cbs that are thinner than I'd like.

Linebacker depth and quality is pretty clearly questionable.

Yeah as others have mentioned, it might be helpful to switch the title to FOX 9, also of note it's the channel that broadcasts the weekly P.J. Fleck Show.

As for the piece itself, not a bad take and I can see things turning out that way. I think he even somewhat alluded to games having the chance of going either way like with Maryland and Wisconsin.

Last note on FOX, anyone else really miss FOX Sports North/FOX Sports Net? Maybe it's just nostalgia but FSN had such good productions for its sports, would air national shows like The Best Damn Sports Show Period, had a great set-up for Gophers hockey and they would also publish articles about all Twin Cities teams on its website.

Plus on the national side of things it would offer some good live events like Golden Boy Boxing and college football from other parts of the country. It added some variety in the line-up and was a nice local alternative to ESPN, CBS Sports Net, NBC Sports Net and FS1. Maybe I just have nostalgia glasses on but Bally Sports North just pales in comparison.
Looks like MLB is going to step in next season for baseball. Sinclair's Diamond Sports can die on the vine for all I care.

We are fine at RB. We need a couple receivers to step up. If healthy I think our linebackers are fine. It's the safeties and cbs that are thinner than I'd like.
We have a couple receivers who will if Max is as good as advertised and Fleck is willing to try the forward pass.

This article expresses about where I feel the Gophers will end up (7-5) if Brosmer is pretty good, but not great. If Brosmer is great, and our D play improves, could be 8 or 9 wins. Of course, if Brosmer isn't good, or the D doesn't improve, or we have too many injuries of key personnel, the Vegas line of 4.5 might be right on. I say 8 wins. Go Gophers.
You've got it all covered like shooting ducks with a shotgun.

looking at the schedule, I think most people agree that the Gophers are going to have a lot of close games - or at least close games on paper.

close games are often decided by turnovers. last year from what I can tell, the Gophers were +2 in takeaway/giveaway margin. (correct me if I'm wrong). ideally, that figure needs to be better. the Gophers don't have a lot of margin for error.

and then, of course, there are special teams. I've just gotten used to the idea that special teams are going to be bad - in terms of running back punts and kicks, or holding down other teams' return games. If somehow the new special teams coordinator can improve the Gophers' performance in those areas, that might be enough to tip the balance in some of those close games.

Top Bottom