Fox 9: Gophers: Who are the new faces for the 2024-25 basketball squad?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Wald:

ISAAC ASUMA

One of Minnesota’s top high school seniors, Asuma had several scholarship offers and had more teams calling about him when he committed to Johnson and the Gophers. He led Cherry to a state championship, and was a finalist for Mr. Basketball. A consensus four-star and top-100 recruit, he’ll give the Gophers guard depth, likely off the bench to begin the season.

FRANK MITCHELL

A transfer from Canisius, Mitchell gives the Gophers a big body at 6-8 and 240 pounds. He was a Second Team All-MAAC pick last year after averaging 12.1 points and 11.6 rebounds per game in 28.1 minutes. He’ll likely fill Payne’s spot.

TREY EDMONDS

The Texas-San Antonio transfer gives Minnesota another big body inside at 6-10 and 255 pounds. He actually looks like Payne at first glance. He started all 32 games last year and averaged seven points and 5.8 rebounds per game.

CALEB WILLIAMS

Gophers fans should know the name well. Williams, a graduate transfer from Macalester, scored 41 points on Minnesota in an exhibition to start last season. He’s a guard that can handle the ball, shoot and get in the lane. He had 51 points against Concordia-Moorhead last year, and averaged 20 points per game for the Scots. He finished No. 3 in all-time scoring at Macalester with 1,566 points.

FEMI ODUKALE

A transfer from New Mexico State, Odukale gives the Gophers a guard with size at 6-6 and 205 pounds. He has 80 college starts and averaged 10.7 points and 6.4 rebounds per game last season. He played more than 28 minutes per contest.

BRENNAN RIGSBY

A transfer from Oregon, Rigsby averaged 6.1 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.1 assists per game in 36 games. He made 21 starts, and scored a season-high 19 points in a win over Michigan. He could compete for one of the starting guard spots.

LU’CYE PATTERSON

A transfer from Charlotte, Patterson is a Minneapolis native and coming home for his senior season. He’s a two-time All-AAC pick and led Charlotte in scoring at 14.6 points per game last season, starting all 31 games. He has more than 1,110 points in 124 career games, and 82 starts.

SO WHAT’S THE STARTING 5?

Let’s hold our horses there. It’s way, way to early to predict a starting five. We can safely pencil in Garcia and Mitchell as starters. Fox could start as well, but the Gophers might find his energy better used off the bench. Odukale, Rigsby and/or Patterson likely compete for the other starting guard spot, and Mitchell and/or Edmonds could start alongside Garcia. Asuma and Williams will provide depth off the bench.

Go Gophers!!

Per Wald:

ISAAC ASUMA

One of Minnesota’s top high school seniors, Asuma had several scholarship offers and had more teams calling about him when he committed to Johnson and the Gophers. He led Cherry to a state championship, and was a finalist for Mr. Basketball. A consensus four-star and top-100 recruit, he’ll give the Gophers guard depth, likely off the bench to begin the season.

FRANK MITCHELL

A transfer from Canisius, Mitchell gives the Gophers a big body at 6-8 and 240 pounds. He was a Second Team All-MAAC pick last year after averaging 12.1 points and 11.6 rebounds per game in 28.1 minutes. He’ll likely fill Payne’s spot.

TREY EDMONDS

The Texas-San Antonio transfer gives Minnesota another big body inside at 6-10 and 255 pounds. He actually looks like Payne at first glance. He started all 32 games last year and averaged seven points and 5.8 rebounds per game.

CALEB WILLIAMS

Gophers fans should know the name well. Williams, a graduate transfer from Macalester, scored 41 points on Minnesota in an exhibition to start last season. He’s a guard that can handle the ball, shoot and get in the lane. He had 51 points against Concordia-Moorhead last year, and averaged 20 points per game for the Scots. He finished No. 3 in all-time scoring at Macalester with 1,566 points.

FEMI ODUKALE

A transfer from New Mexico State, Odukale gives the Gophers a guard with size at 6-6 and 205 pounds. He has 80 college starts and averaged 10.7 points and 6.4 rebounds per game last season. He played more than 28 minutes per contest.

BRENNAN RIGSBY

A transfer from Oregon, Rigsby averaged 6.1 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.1 assists per game in 36 games. He made 21 starts, and scored a season-high 19 points in a win over Michigan. He could compete for one of the starting guard spots.

LU’CYE PATTERSON

A transfer from Charlotte, Patterson is a Minneapolis native and coming home for his senior season. He’s a two-time All-AAC pick and led Charlotte in scoring at 14.6 points per game last season, starting all 31 games. He has more than 1,110 points in 124 career games, and 82 starts.

Let’s hold our horses there. It’s way, way to early to predict a starting five. We can safely pencil in Garcia and Mitchell as starters. Fox could start as well, but the Gophers might find his energy better used off the bench. Odukale, Rigsby and/or Patterson likely compete for the other starting guard spot, and Mitchell and/or Edmonds could start alongside Garcia. Asuma and Williams will provide depth off the bench.

Go Gophers!!
These articles often exaggerate the rankings. Asuma isn't a 4-star and consensus Top-100 prospect. That's simply a lie. 247 has him at #100 exactly. But other services have him outside the Top-150.

Don't get me wrong...I think he's a good prospect. But these articles lie.

Kk
These articles often exaggerate the rankings. Asuma isn't a 4-star and consensus Top-100 prospect. That's simply a lie. 247 has him at #100 exactly. But other services have him outside the Top-150.

Don't get me wrong...I think he's a good prospect. But these articles lie.
Actually no it isn't a,exagerration his stock rose toward the end of laat year!

Go Gophers!!

Agree that you can pencil in Garcia and Mitchell. Patterson very likely. I would be very surprised if the 4th leading rebounder in the country (2nd in rebounding percentage) this past season doesn't start. Odukale is a 5th year senior and has played enough to be the likely 5th starter but this last starter position could be a bit more unsettled.

What's more interesting is how the minutes will shake out. Last year Johnson had 3 starters who averaged over 30 minutes per game and Mitchell was just under that at 29.7 minutes per game. Of course, Garcia likely plays over 30 minutes per game but there is enough depth possibly to warrant the other starters playing under 30 minutes per game.

The rankings are still viewable and are updated. And he's clearly NOT a consensus Top-100.

These articles almost always lie like this.
Agree that you can pencil in Garcia and Mitchell. Patterson very likely. I would be very surprised if the 4th leading rebounder in the country (2nd in rebounding percentage) this past season doesn't start. Odukale is a 5th year senior and has played enough to be the likely 5th starter but this last starter position could be a bit more unsettled.

What's more interesting is how the minutes will shake out. Last year Johnson had 3 starters who averaged over 30 minutes per game and Mitchell was just under that at 29.7 minutes per game. Of course, Garcia likely plays over 30 minutes per game but there is enough depth possibly to warrant the other starters playing under 30 minutes per game.
If there are no other choices, who do you think would make the better big wing?
KAYDN BETTS?
or
PARKER FOX?

If there are no other choices, who do you think would make the better big wing?
KAYDN BETTS?
or
PARKER FOX?
Kadyn Betts. I have a sneaky suspicion that he will surprise with a good year. He might be the reason that CBJ has not been desperate to get a wing with the last scholarship.

Last edited:

Who cares where he’s ranked. He’s a gopher and I like the kid.
Yeah. It's not a big deal in this case. I just finally mentioned how these articles ALMOST ALWAYS LIE about the rankings.

Whenever we get a guy who's Top-150 in some services...they say he's consensus 4-star. I've noticed that many times.

Ben has always had his starters play many minutes to win the game. It is something that has never changed and I actually favor the approach.

It's unclear whether he does that because of a personal philosophy or because of the perception that the bench players are not trustworthy. He's only been here for three years so the word "never" seems premature.

I'd say that there is a reasonable argument about whether JOJ should have been played more in the latter part of the past season but I can understand why he didn't trust most of the other bench players over the last three years to play more. Having said that, if you don't play a bench, you probably won't have a bench.

Last edited:

We need scoring...we need an offensive threat besides Garcia. I think the guy that can possibly be "the guy" is Caleb Williams. #1 he needs the opportunity to be in the rotation in the non-conference games. (Not the last four minutes) If he is and doesn't pan out...okay, but he's the guy with the most scoring potential. I hope he gets a chance.

Another nice interview with him in the video above.

What might turn out to be Ben’s biggest coup was getting Mitchell from Canisius. (Brilliant if no NIL was involved.) Similar to last year however, the team is probably a good player short. Hopefully they can defend.

Ben has always had his starters play many minutes to win the game. It is something that has never changed and I actually favor the approach.
Ben hasn't had the luxury of having 3-4 decent BIG type guys sitting next to him. I thought last year he would have a deeper bench but Ihnen fizzled as I expected, Betts wasn't ready and JOJ did what ever he did that kept him off the floor. This year "could" be different as there is lots of PT experience on the bench and Betts might actually contribute but.....

Ben has often chosen to win the game and, as a result, has often lost the season.
If you don't play your substitutes whenever possible, you will fatigue your starters and likely never develop depth which will cost you wins in the end.

Ben has often chosen to win the game and, as a result, has often lost the season.
If you don't play your substitutes whenever possible, you will fatigue your starters and likely never develop depth which will cost you wins in the end.
That was clear last year. It seems like this year's roster was constructed to be more balance and have more ball-handlers available. Alot of depth, no matter who is starting along Dawson and MMJR.

Ben really hasn't had a decent bench to call on. Thus his guys got worn down.

This season has nine very experienced players plus Asuma and maybe Betts to play around with. His first year he had six and the young guys were either hurt or not able to contribute. Then just Garcia, Battle, and Cooper plus Samuel and all the rookies his second season. We all know about last year.

This could be the year where Ben could actually have more options and a service able bench. It will be interesting to watch to see who gets the majority of the PT.

Ben really hasn't had a decent bench to call on. Thus his guys got worn down.
Good coaches play enough bench players (regardless of losses) to eliminate late season collapses.
You give them singular tasks (1-1 defense, rebound, screen, pass) that they can execute, and maybe they will become skilled enough to EARN playing time when the games really matter.

Had some time to kill today so I looked at MPG stats. Interesting info.

On a national level, Hawkins ranked at #215 at 33.2mpg and Garcia at 32.0 wasn't ranked in the top 350 players! Surprised? Me too! Yet NU's Buie and Barnhizer ranked #11 & #14 at 36.5 and 36.4 mpg and no one talks about that.

In the BIG for all games, Hawk is #12, Garcia #19, Christie #28, MM #30 and PP #65. NU had 3 guys in the top 11. For BIG games only, Hawk is #5, Garcia #24, MM #29, Christie #31 and PP #57. NU had 3 in the top 17. Nebraska didn't have a player listed until #26 and #28 which may indicated that they use their bench the most of any BIG probably followed by Wisky.

With four of our players listed at or near the top 30 of BIG games only, the Gophers and NU clearly are relying on their top guys.

Top Bottom