Former Vikings guard Steve Hutchinson elected to Hall of Fame

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Steve Hutchinson, a guard so historically fierce and fundamentally sound that the Vikings created a “poison pill” scheme to pilfer him from the Seahawks in his prime, reached the Pro Football Hall of Fame in his third year of eligibility Saturday.

“Going through this process the last [three] years, it’s a hard day,” said Hutchinson, the last of five to get the knock on the hotel door from Hall of Fame President David Baker. “I’ve never been so tired from not doing anything.

“The knock was 3:35 [p.m.] and I’m thinking, ‘I’m getting another late [rejection] call. As soon as the knock happens, it’s hard to explain. It’s like a weighted vest is taken immediately off your shoulders.”

The five-time first-team All-Pro and seven-time Pro Bowler was with his wife, Landyn, and kids, Lilly and Luke, when the knock came.

“That last 10 minutes, it seemed like it was seven hours,” he said. “It was crazy. I was getting all tight. Then you get the knock and ... you start floating. And it’s like, ‘Is this real?’ We all just kind of broke down at once. It’s great. It’s indescribable. I sound like an idiot right now.”

Hutchinson had spent his first five seasons in Seattle as the 17th overall draft pick in 2001. He finished his career with the Titans in 2012. In between was a six-year Vikings career in which Hutch was named first team All-Pro three times, second-team twice and made five of his seven Pro Bowls.

Skol Hutchinson!!

The best job in all football is the HOF Knock on Door guy. Same guy every year, same amazing news he gets to deliver.

Skol Hutchinson!!

Top Bottom