Former recruits who chose other schools...

go4fan

Reaction score
I was looking at a few of the season previews on rivals cause i was curious. What caught my eye were the number of players who were close to coming here but chose to go somewhere else and how much of an impact they have or are going to have.

Wisconsin's preview said watch for Beau Allen to contribute right away. I saw somewhere he is listed at 325 pounds!! yikes. Also Owatonna native Casey Dehn was listed as the 2nd team RT. 6'6" 299 for the dude. I don't think we went after him hard but that would be nice.

Michigan: Taylor Lewan is being compared to Jake Long already...if only he came here. No more Dom Alford, wouldn't that be awful...

Arkansas: Ronnie Wingo is listed as the starting RB. 6'3" 222. How good would he look in our backfield.

I also read somewhere that Broderick Smith had a great spring game at K-State and is expecting to do great things there this fall.
I am by no means bashing Brew. He has not done as well as I have hoped but I am not ready to jump ship yet. I DO believe that we are not anywhere close to signing these boys with Mason. He is a turd. Makes me wonder "what if" all of these guys came to MN...if only.

I thought Broderick Smith went to KU?

We can pull our hair out and gnash our teeth over kids who chose to go elsewhere. At least Brewster and staff are identifying guys who can be successful. If he starts to win look out. That's why people are so freaked out by him. They know that the moment he starts winning the floodgates will open.

It goes both ways. Do you think Texas Tech would be interested in having Keanon Cooper on their roster? What about WVU and Michael Carter? Sucks that Broderick Smith wanted to get closer to his family, but it's pretty cool that Beal found his way up here.

Well put Breakin' The Plane, I have always said that recruiting high school kids is not for the faint of heart. Many kids change their minds about as often as they change their underwear !

I know it works both ways...we came so close on these guys just thinking how nice it would be to have them. I was in no way complaining, just stating a fact.

Interesting thread--it's fun to think about some of those guys on our team. Your sentiment is right on the money though: to even be "in the mix" for kids who end up going on to do great things in college really shows that the level of recruiting has been raised here. LaMichael James is another one we just missed out on (although his off field troubles might make some glad we did).

Oh, and to add to BTP's list, I'm pretty sure OSU would love to see Rashede Hageman on their D-line. Man, I saw him today and that kid is an absolute B-E-A-S-T.

Oh, and to add to BTP's list, I'm pretty sure OSU would love to see Rashede Hageman on their D-line. Man, I saw him today and that kid is an absolute B-E-A-S-T.

I hope so. We need a pass rush this fall.

Man - If only we had gotten all of the recruits we ever wanted, we would have won so many national titles!!!

If I'm not mistaken, I think both of Dehn's parents went to Wisconsin. I don't think we had much of a chance. His mind was set well before signing day.

Beau Allen has not even played a college down and by all account was not even a great high school player. If he is gonna be a contributer this season they may be in for a long one. Was Chris Hawkins or James Louis on any of these previews because we could have used either. It's unfortunate as I think Broderick Smith has a kid back home.

Lamichael James is one we missed out on for sure.

I'm sure Michigan would love to have Mark Ingram instead of Alabama.
I'm sure Penn State would love to have Terrelle Pryor instead of Ohio State.

You'll drive yourself crazy doing this.

Beau Allen has not even played a college down and by all account was not even a great high school player. If he is gonna be a contributer this season they may be in for a long one. Was Chris Hawkins or James Louis on any of these previews because we could have used either. It's unfortunate as I think Broderick Smith has a kid back home.

Lamichael James is one we missed out on for sure.

I love it......first it was Beau Allen had heart problems and when that was proven to be a lie created here now the kid can't play. HA

False.

Actually, many (it may even be accurate to say most) of the posters here (who actually saw him play) were saying Allen wasn't very good even when the Gophers were pushing hard to sign him. But I'm sure you knew that already.

Right, and I'm sure all of those posters here saying he wasn't very good in no way were saying that to deflect the disappointment when he ultimately chose to go elsewhere.

But it is funny to read gopher fans talk about how someone who hasn't played a snap of college football can't play and hasn't proven anything. This is the exact opposite foundation of people on this board saying the Gopher D is going to be unstoppable. From what I've read around here Rashede Hageman doesn't even need to play a snap of college football. He should just go straight to the NFL.

Who knows how good Beau Allen will be. No one is a sure fire bet, but I feel pretty good about a ready made DT who tips the scale at 325 and lives in the weight room.

Right, and I'm sure all of those posters here saying he wasn't very good in no way were saying that to deflect the disappointment when he ultimately chose to go elsewhere.

What's your point? The fact remains that many/most GH posters were not optimistic about Allen, well before he voluntarily moved to Wisconsin (for some reason).

But it is funny to read gopher fans talk about how someone who hasn't played a snap of college football can't play and hasn't proven anything. This is the exact opposite foundation of people on this board saying the Gopher D is going to be unstoppable. From what I've read around here Rashede Hageman doesn't even need to play a snap of college football. He should just go straight to the NFL.

Oh no! Fans of a team are excited about that team! Perish the thought!

You're seriously surprised that fans of a team like its own players more than another team's? How long have you been following sports?

Who knows how good Beau Allen will be. No one is a sure fire bet, but I feel pretty good about a ready made DT who tips the scale at 325 and lives in the weight room.

No one knows how good he will be. That's the point. I just wouldn't get too excited about a 300-pounder who routinely got his ass handed to him by undersized OL who won't get anywhere near a Big Ten roster in their lifetimes.

Seriously...buckyville.yuku.com. You can all talk about how great Beau Allen will be on that website. I know it has like 1/50 of the traffic that GH has, but it does exist.

If I'm not mistaken, I think both of Dehn's parents went to Wisconsin. I don't think we had much of a chance. His mind was set well before signing day.

ahh screw him! My buddy in HS pinned him at state for wrestling!

Dehn's very good, and will see the field very early in his Badger career. Brew offered him before he went to Badger camp, but did it in a way that was very off-putting. 4 days later he verballed to UW. Your buddy should have tried football, instead of letting the big kid from Mayo toss him around on the wrestling mat.

Dehn's very good, and will see the field very early in his Badger career. Brew offered him before he went to Badger camp, but did it in a way that was very off-putting. 4 days later he verballed to UW. Your buddy should have tried football, instead of letting the big kid from Mayo toss him around on the wrestling mat.
Yeah, the worst thing a high school football player can hear is "I think your a great player and I want you to come play for me." Besides EVERY wis recruit is the greatest ever, haven't we learned to accept this "fact" yet?

1) Beau Allen's rivals highlight film was just awful. He was completely controlled by a 180 # guard and I dont' think his highlight film included 1 "highlight." He seems like a kid who was full grown very early, and that's why he established a name for himself, his size, not because he was dominating, much like the Dunbar kid is doing in Prior Lake. I wouldn't have been mad had he committed here, but I wasn't impressed. Maybe he will end up a player but I just don't see it.
2) Most agree that 'Shede has a lot of technique to learn. We just know what an athlete he is, and if he figures the rest out, it's a very good bet that he will be a star, plus our coach constantly touts his strength and explosiveness.
3) If you don't want to read the opinions of some gopher homers, Gopherhole is probably a place you should avoid. I wouldn't go to Buckyville and complain that posters think Wisconsin will win the Big 10 this year.

Brew offered him before he went to Badger camp, but did it in a way that was very off-putting.

How exactly can extending an offer for a free 4 years of college be off-putting? Did Brew take a dump, put it in a poster tube, and have a written scholarship offer rolled up in the middle? Seriously. "Off-putting"? What does that even mean in this context?

Top Bottom