Former Minnetonka coach now a badger coach?

Reaction score
I was reading this blog stating that James Farrow (Minnetonka) is someone we will be hearing about over the next couple of years and currently favors Wiscy since one of his former coaches is now a coach with the badgers. Who are either of these guys, Farrow and the former coach, and what, if any, are the implications for Beau's recruitment?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=Midwest_Recruiting

Thanks in advance.

Go Gophers!
SK Gopher

Former Badger Ben Strickland coached at Minnetonka last year and he has returned to Madison to be a quality control coach, or something like that.

I suppose it won't hurt with Allen, but Allen already has a ton of family connections to Wisconsin, so I doubt Strickland being there will be a deciding factor. I would expect the Badgers will be in it to the end with Allen. A lot of people that follow Badger recruiting closely think the Badgers will get Allen.

As for Farrow, it is obviously still early, but he seemed to be happy that Strickland was back at Wisconsin.

Choosing a school because of a relationship with a QC or GA at any school is a pretty bad idea. If everything goes well for the QC he moves on to a GA role the following year either at the same school or a different school. No GA wants to spend more than a year in the role but 2 is really the max that you could expect someone to be there before moving on to a lower level asst coaching position (Sun Belt, MAC, DI-AA, etc) until they can move up to a BCS asst coach. The hours/pay for a QC or GA are ridiculously poor, especially during the season, but it is a stepping stone to a career in coaching that everybody has to go through.

Somebody should point out to the HS recruit that the QC/GA won't be there for their entire college career and very well may not even be there when the player arrives on campus. They have virtually no lead time on new positions. I have a friend that has had a few of these jobs and he found out about a new position, got hired, and had to move all within the same week.

Top Bottom