Former Lynx player player Tamara Moore hired as men's college basketball head coach in Virginia, Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Former WNBA guard Tamara Moore is taking a rare and historic path as she progresses through the coaching ranks. Moore, who has been a girls' high school coach in Minneapolis, has been hired as the men's basketball coach at Mesabi Range College in Minnesota.

Moore will be the only known men's college basketball head coach in the country. Her rise to the position comes after she played at Wisconsin from 1998 to 2002 and in the WNBA from 2002 to 2007.

"I'm beyond blessed to start this new decade with this amazing honor," Moore wrote on her Facebook page. "I would like to thank Mesabi Range College for this great opportunity & I know we will be successful."

Mesabi Range is a community college in Virginia, Minnesota about 200 miles north of Minneapolis. Her hiring as the men's basketball coach comes as a record 11 women served as assistant coaches in the NBA during the 2019-20 season, according to the Associated Press.

Go Gophers!!

Also the women’s softball coach...makes it seem less important since she is coaching two sports. But still awesome.

Quote from the article: “Moore will be the only known men's college basketball head coach in the country.”

Unless the coronavirus is worse than reported, I‘m sure that’s not true.

Quote from the article: “Moore will be the only known men's college basketball head coach in the country.”

Unless the coronavirus is worse than reported, I‘m sure that’s not true.
Yeah I caught that too

Hope she likes living in -30 to -50 degree winter mornings and traveling the backwater highways in a 15 passenger van...

Hope she likes living in -30 to -50 degree winter mornings and traveling the backwater highways in a 15 passenger van...
You make it sound like winter is like that all season. I grew up there, it’s not as bad as you make it out to be. There are usually a couple of weeks where it’s nasty. The rest of the time is not that bad. Back country roads, maybe to Vermillion’s campus but most others are to the south I think in that conference.

You make it sound like winter is like that all season. I grew up there, it’s not as bad as you make it out to be. There are usually a couple of weeks where it’s nasty. The rest of the time is not that bad. Back country roads, maybe to Vermillion’s campus but most others are to the south I think in that conference.
Hobbing, Grand Rapids, Ely, International Falls, Northwest Corner...not for the faint of heart. I too grew up in the sticks of the Arrowhead. I tell people when I moved to the Cities I moved to the tropics.
I recall at least 5 days in my childhood that were below -50. I can recall weeks where the day started at -30.
Now...it may be warmer now, but a person can still freeze an ass cheek off in a heartbeat on the Range.

An update:

Tamara Moore's historic hire at Mesabi Range College two years ago brought national attention to Minnesota's junior college ranks, as she became the first Black woman to be named head coach of a men's college basketball team.

Moore, 41, seems destined for a bright coaching future, but even when other possible jobs came into view, the Norsemen were still her priority. She didn't get to coach them until this season after last season was canceled during the pandemic.

"I had a couple of jobs that showed interest in me," Moore said. "But knowing we didn't play last year, I didn't want there to be an asterisk that I got hired but didn't coach a season."

The former WNBA player and Minneapolis North star dreams of leading a Division I program. She also studied analytics, scouting and networked at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas through the NBA G League coaches program last summer.

"I know I can go higher, but I want to make sure I'm doing it at the right time," Moore said. "I tell my players all the time, 'My success is based off your success.' But I'm not in a rush."

Mesabi Range, a 1,200-student two-year public institution in Virginia, Minn., made the Minnesota College Athletic Conference men's basketball playoffs for the first time since 2017.

Top Bottom