Former Illinois Lineman Accuses Coach Of "Abuse And Misuse Of Power"

I Don't See it the way you guys do

Obviously, there are exceptions but I think it is exactly that, exceptions. Usually it's the player begging the coach to let him play. Because, Depending on the injury your answer is no because you don't want him dealing with a nagging injury playing half speed the whole year. End of season, ya, it's harder to say no, especially if they are seniors. It all depends what the injury is too. But all the kids I coached begged to play. All the pro teams and Gophers seem to hold guys out longer than you'd anticipate, rather than rush people back. I think thats the overwhelming norm, erring on the side of caution. I had parents disagree about their kid sitting out with an injury lobbying he should play because he convinced mom or dad he wanted to. Never anybody saying their kid was too injured.

I think the Hoke QB injury was a whole other thing. He did not want to play Gardner under any circumstances imo. That was bad and he's gone.

I saw a senior, not my player, play in a basketball game with an ankle
the size of a bowling ball. They duct taped it on the outside trying to get greater support. Saw it after the game....it was gruesome...totally black on a white leg and huge. The parents and the player were not listening to anybody. That kid was playing! I think that's more the case by far than coaches forcing anybody to play.

I think the trend is toward players incrementally gaining more say in the process, and more compensation -in the form of "full cost of attendance" and stipends for minimal living expenses - but I do not think we will see a fully unionized system in D1 athletics.

IMHO, it would create as many problems as it would solve. Let's say you have an Eliot Eliason situation where a player gets benched. Does he call in his union rep and file a grievance? If a FB team thinks their coach is working them too hard, do they refuse to practice until the union rep can seek a court injunction or TRO?

Before we see a fully-unionized college FB scene, I think it is more likely that we will see some type of minor-league FB setup for players who have no interest in going to college. If somebody can figure out how to make money by putting the games on TV, it will happen.

Saw this on an Illinois forum.

I know a lot of us don't care for Beckman. I also don't want to discredit Simon, because its possible that all of the things he's saying are true. That said...

1. Every player corroborating quit or transferred. Not everybody likes the coach, on any team. Two of the four players openly agreeing with his story never saw playing time.

2. This all happened to Simon, but his brother stayed on the team? Seems odd to me. I'd never stay somewhere where my family was treated in such a poor manner, but that could be something unique to each person.

3. Several players are coming out on twitter directly opposing Simon.

4. Simon really hurt his argument with the line about "Starting two Frosh Ts who got destroyed in the bowl game." That seems bitter, and adds a nasty flavor to his argument that may distort it.

I hope Simon is wrong, or exaggerating, or whatever it may be. If something comes out, I'll stand fully behind the players, just like I always do.

This is the part that stood out to me. If things are so bad, why would his brother go there and even stay there?

I do think there needs to be something done to help athletes deal with injuries the rest of their life.

IMHO, it would create as many problems as it would solve. Let's say you have an Eliot Eliason situation where a player gets benched. Does he call in his union rep and file a grievance? If a FB team thinks their coach is working them too hard, do they refuse to practice until the union rep can seek a court injunction or TRO?

Why would this be a result of a players union? Don't see these things happening in pro sports and they are unionized. It is not unreasonable for players to want to have a say in how their sport is managed and how their compensation is figured and how their eligibility is determined.

Top Bottom