Former Gophers 4-star recruit making comeback at Minnesota-Duluth

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Harrison:

Former Gophers four-star recruit Trey Bixby has joined the University of Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs, according to his personal X account, formerly known as Twitter.

Bixby committed to the Gophers as the No. 1 recruit in Minnesota in 2022. He was forced to medically retire after redshirting his freshman season.

The 6-foot-4 defensive lineman announced in April he was medically cleared and was entering the transfer portal. In a post on X, he said he was "happy, healthy" and "in the best shape of my life."

Go Gophers!!

The name sounds familiar but I don’t recall his story. What high school did he go to? Anyways, best of luck young man

If he goes up there, excels, proves he’s healthy, I have no doubt that he will be able to transfer up a level or two next year.

Always odd when a player has to medically "retire" and then somehow is able to get cleared and becomes able to play again. Happened with Benjamin St. Juste here when he had to medically retire at Michigan.

They should rename the process of medically retiring and coming back "The Jerry Kill Plan"

Assuming it's the same reason, it doesn't sound like a St Juste situation. Awesome if everything is being managed now.

After trips to both the Cleveland Clinic and the Mayo Clinic, Bixby was diagnosed with exercise-induced anaphylaxis with anhidrosis. “As his body temperature would rise, which happens in sports, he’d have an allergic reaction,’’ said Kyle Goblirsch, Bixby’s stepfather. “It was limiting his ability to sweat.’’

“It got to the point where I couldn’t sit in a chair for too long because the body heat from the chair itself would trigger a reaction,’’ Bixby said. “I would have to take cold showers in the middle of classes to be able to make it through the day.’’

Assuming it's the same reason, it doesn't sound like a St Juste situation. Awesome if everything is being managed now.

After trips to both the Cleveland Clinic and the Mayo Clinic, Bixby was diagnosed with exercise-induced anaphylaxis with anhidrosis. “As his body temperature would rise, which happens in sports, he’d have an allergic reaction,’’ said Kyle Goblirsch, Bixby’s stepfather. “It was limiting his ability to sweat.’’

“It got to the point where I couldn’t sit in a chair for too long because the body heat from the chair itself would trigger a reaction,’’ Bixby said. “I would have to take cold showers in the middle of classes to be able to make it through the day.’’
Wow that sounds awful. Must have gotten some treatment to help that. Good for him! Seemed like a talented kid. Would love to see him have a successful comeback!

Yeah, I wonder if him transferring is just a fact that you can't undo a medical retirement at the same school? Like it seems like he medically retired because his condition was too unmanageable but it sounds like he's dialed in a treatment that allows him to exercise/train again at the level he needs to compete. I bet he'd be let back in the team in a heartbeat, just that the rules don't allow him to play football at the same school

He will be back with the Gophers. :unsure: That will be a nice comeback story if it happens.

Top Bottom