Former Gopher Jim Petersen plans to keep coaching Lynx ... and broadcasting Wolves

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per PiPress:

Jim Petersen will be seated on the Minnesota sideline when the Lynx open the 2016 season with a preseason game in New York on Thursday night.

The question for some is why?

This will be Petersen’s eighth season stationed on the Lynx bench. He was elevated from assistant coach to associate head coach during the offseason by Lynx head coach Cheryl Reeve.

Still, a better title was on the table. Petersen was offered the Connecticut Sun’s head coaching position this offseason. Connecticut features one of the league’s best young rosters, top-notch facilities and a women’s basketball-crazed fan base.

Reeve noted Petersen’s commitment to the Lynx and what they have built with their run of three WNBA titles in five years and a roster that features four U.S. Olympians. But just as responsible for keeping Petersen, a Gophers alum and St. Louis Park High School grad, in Minnesota was his broadcasting gig with the Timberwolves.

Petersen is the Wolves’ color analyst for Fox Sports North. He is paid on a per-game basis. Had he taken the Connecticut job, he estimated he would have had to cut 25 games from his regular-season schedule and wouldn’t have been able to work any postseason games should the Timberwolves ever get there.

With those limitations, it’s no guarantee Fox would have even been able to keep him. So taking the Connecticut job would have jeopardized Petersen’s entire situation, and he said the Sun couldn’t offer the financial compensation necessary for him to take the leap.

“I’ve got the best two jobs in basketball,” Petersen said. “Being the TV analyst for the Timberwolves and being an associate head coach with the Lynx, who has it better?”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/05/04/lynxs-jim-petersen-plans-to-keep-coaching-and-broadcasting/

Go Gophers!!

Petersen is an all around asset to the basketball community here. We are lucky to have him. I can't imagine how dismal the wolves' broadcasts would be without his insights, play by play breakdowns and honesty.

Petersen is an all around asset to the basketball community here. We are lucky to have him. I can't imagine how dismal the wolves' broadcasts would be without his insights, play by play breakdowns and honesty.

This was my first year getting Wolves games/FSNorth on my DirecTv package and I was so impressed by Petersen. He would make great observations about individual players, sets both teams ran, strategy, etc, etc...I even learned some things from a few of his on court demonstrations in the post game. It couldn't happen given his Wolves gig, but I found myself wishing he was on the Gophers staff working with the post players on more than one occasion. The difference between Jim Petersen and many of the national guys (Jon Barry, Chris Webber, etc) is striking.

This was my first year getting Wolves games/FSNorth on my DirecTv package and I was so impressed by Petersen. He would make great observations about individual players, sets both teams ran, strategy, etc, etc...I even learned some things from a few of his on court demonstrations in the post game. It couldn't happen given his Wolves gig, but I found myself wishing he was on the Gophers staff working with the post players on more than one occasion. The difference between Jim Petersen and many of the national guys (Jon Barry, Chris Webber, etc) is striking.

He's considered by many to be the best local color commentator in the NBA, especially by national writers who watch the Wolves on league pass.

Top Bottom