Former Gopher Jack Brewer

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
I said what I meant and meant what I said. Anything else you're talmbout is an assumption or a bad faith argument. And I'm not going to entertain all your victim talk nonsense or your 'what you really mean' made up theory. You're making things up to prove a point and I'm not going on that fairy tale trip with you. You don't want to discuss it like men where you can't hide behind a word soup? Cool thing. But I'll be done here while you find new ways to pretend I'm a coward lol.

I disagreed with you and hid behind calling me a racist. Jack Brewer disagreed with you and you compared him to a slave who was against emancipation. I'm not making anything up, that is what happened. Keep ignoring this point!

There is no "what you really mean" made up theory. You literally did those things in para. 1. That is how you react to people disagreeing with you politically. I don't think you're a victim, I think you hide behind these crutches with people with whom you disagree.

If what I said was word soup for you, that's your issue. But no, I don't really want to talk to you on the phone. No offense, I don't really give my number out on message boards.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw, first of all, I was addressing a point that was made. Without directing comment to anyone in particular except oleboy41. I agree that most black/ African-American people would agree that what Jack said was stupid. Doesn't mean that Jack isn't a good human being, nor does it mean that Jack is stupid, it just means that the statement(s) in the linked article were/ are viewed as stupid statements. There are a myriad of reasons that many African-Americans and humans of all backgrounds would view the following statement as silly: "I've got to say this because it's Black History Month. Man, you're the first black president," So, in that regard, I totally got and agree with oleboy41's point. I will stop there.

Second, as an elder told me, watch your tone. Please. You stated that you don't necessarily think that any particular group of people think monolithically. With that said, thoughts regarding Mr. Brewer's statement has nothing to do with my background. All to do with the ability to discern.

If you'd wish to discuss this further you can PM me. No need to get into a pi$$ing match with a fellow St. Paul guy (or anyone else for that matter).

Cheers!

Just When I Thought I Was Out, They Pull Me Back In!

(1) Oleboy did not say "most African American people would agree that what Jack said was stupid". He pretended to speak for a gigantic and diverse group of people. When I pointed out this obviously stupid point, he called me a racist. LOL.

(2) I disagree with Jack Brewer. You do realize his comment is a reaction to the comment by Toni Morrison about Bill Clinton right? It was dumb when Toni Morrison said it, it was dumb when Jack Brewer said it, I disagree with it.

(3) I don't really need to watch my tone. If someone wants to call me a racist for saying a neutral comment that they disagree with, I am going to speak to them in whatever tone I find appropriate.

(4) What does your background have to do with this topic? I never pretended to have a first hand knowledge of how comment by people like Jack Brewer and Toni Morrison make African-Americans feel. I merely pointed out that the reaction is far from universal within that community. I wasn't even supporting/agreeing with one of the reactions, I was merely saying it was not universal. I don't think you need to be part of that group to say that the group had a diverse opinion on the subject.

Are you a racist for disagreeing with Jack Brewer on a topic close to African Americans? Were you trying to talk down to Jack Brewer to put him in his place? No and No.

oleboy41

Reaction score
I disagreed with you and hid behind calling me a racist. Jack Brewer disagreed with you and you compared him to a slave who was against emancipation. I'm not making anything up, that is what happened. Keep ignoring this point!

There is no "what you really mean" made up theory. You literally did those things in para. 1. That is how you react to people disagreeing with you politically. I don't think you're a victim, I think you hide behind these crutches with people with whom you disagree.

If what I said was word soup for you, that's your issue. But no, I don't really want to talk to you on the phone. No offense, I don't really give my number out on message boards.
Quote me calling you a racist... Didn't happen.
Quote me actually comparing Brewer to a slave.... didn't happen.
You're making things up. Stop while you're behind and stop showing your behind. If you actually are making these arguments in good faith then DM me and we'll continue there off line. I have no issue discussing things with people who are disagreeing in good faith but you're reaching a whole lot. Proof is in the pudding though. I won't respond in this thread anymore. DM or I'm done. Deuces!

MplsGopher

Reaction score
^^^ Bob is very, very sensitive about being called a racist.

STPGopher

Reaction score
(1) Oleboy did not say "most African American people would agree that what Jack said was stupid". He pretended to speak for a gigantic and diverse group of people. When I pointed out this obviously stupid point, he called me a racist. LOL.

(2) I disagree with Jack Brewer. You do realize his comment is a reaction to the comment by Toni Morrison about Bill Clinton right? It was dumb when Toni Morrison said it, it was dumb when Jack Brewer said it, I disagree with it.

(3) I don't really need to watch my tone. If someone wants to call me a racist for saying a neutral comment that they disagree with, I am going to speak to them in whatever tone I find appropriate.

(4) What does your background have to do with this topic? I never pretended to have a first hand knowledge of how comment by people like Jack Brewer and Toni Morrison make African-Americans feel. I merely pointed out that the reaction is far from universal within that community. I wasn't even supporting/agreeing with one of the reactions, I was merely saying it was not universal. I don't think you need to be part of that group to say that the group had a diverse opinion on the subject.

Are you a racist for disagreeing with Jack Brewer on a topic close to African Americans? Were you trying to talk down to Jack Brewer to put him in his place? No and No.

Read the PM.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
Quote me calling you a racist... Didn't happen.
Quote me actually comparing Brewer to a slave.... didn't happen.
You're making things up. Stop while you're behind and stop showing your behind. If you actually are making these arguments in good faith then DM me and we'll continue there off line. I have no issue discussing things with people who are disagreeing in good faith but you're reaching a whole lot. Proof is in the pudding though. I won't respond in this thread anymore. DM or I'm done. Deuces!

Remember when you said you weren't a coward? This post isn't helping you.

You said that as a white man I was trying to put you in you, as a black man, in your place. Obviously, you were implying that I was racist. Obviously someone who wants to put another race in their place is a racist. You did call me a racist. I'm not shocked at all that you're backing down from this because you are a coward.

As for Jack Brewer, your comment was this "Hush, child. I'm sure there were a few house slaves that weren't happy with emancipation.". For now, let's ignore the irony of you saying I was talking down to you with how you started your post, but that's your actual response to me about Jack Brewer. Again, it's not surprising that you are backing down from this now too.

As I said in an earlier post to you, avoiding logical arguments hiding behind guilt is an act of coward. Thank you for proving my exact point.

So I'm losing this argument, yet you cannot stand behind a single thing that you post.

As to the arguments, they don't even exist anymore because you have backtracked on every point you attempted to make.

(1) You said you speak for all African Americans - I disagreed with you. You have now agreed that you don't. This argument is gone.

(2) You then implied I was a racist for disagreeing with you. You seem to now be stepping away from that. This argument is gone.

(3) You then implied Jack Brewer was like a slave against emancipation. You seem to now be stepping away from that. This argument is gone.

It sounds like we're aligned now.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Court must be easy, when you get to dictate what the other person implied, rather than be “limited” to the actual words that they said. (y)

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Again, you're trying to tell me, a black man, and a conscious, socially active black man, about black people. LOL.
You must have an incredibly difficult time with all the angry young white Liberals trying to describe your plight and how they know exactly what you want? They speak on the behalf of black Americans on a daily basis.

oleboy41

Reaction score
You must have an incredibly difficult time with all the angry young white Liberals trying to describe your plight and how they know exactly what you want? They speak on the behalf of black Americans on a daily basis.
I don't follow too many of those folks so it's thankfully not a problem I have to deal with

kellyleeks

GH Hall of Fame '10
Reaction score
Really sad that an update on former Gopher, Jack Brewer was deemed “off topic”. Jack was a leader of the defense and a big part of building to where we are now. Some so called Gopher fans trashed him and advocated for him to be removed from the football forum.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Really sad that an update on former Gopher, Jack Brewer was deemed “off topic”. Jack was a leader of the defense and a big part of building to where we are now. Some so called Gopher fans trashed him and advocated for him to be removed from the football forum.
Maybe it is sad to you, but it was absolutely the correct move. (y)

Trashy political arguments belong on OTB

oak_street1981

Reaction score
OleBoy41, that stuff I posted was pretty harsh and silly, after re-reading that. Hell, who knows, we might have met and spoke before in the concourse during a game, who knows? Message boards lead to extreme responses.

I like walking around and interacting with fans during football games a lot and being over the top does not help, usually in person interaction puts a stop to all this stuff.

I agreed with some of the stuff I saw you post before, pre off topic, so I'll lay off this.

KillmeNow

Banned
Reaction score
lol nice try. You condescendingly tried to put me in 'my place' with your comment and I'm not here for it. But sure pretend you're deeply offended at the mention of slavery lol. And nah, I'm not wrong. I think I can speak for black people when I say Jack made an idiotic statement that the vast majority of us think is stupid. But go on ahead and act like you're more qualified to speak on this than me lol. Oh and by the way I'm addressing you directly with no fake outrage and no filter so save the 'cowardly' talk for someone who cares. And feel free to DM me if you're unclear where I stand. Shoot I'll give you my number since there's no way you're goofy enough to have been sincere lol. The fact that the idiot I have on ignore liked your post should tell you something...
Dems liked slavery. They liked and supported the KKK, and Jim Crowe. They opposed Civil Rights, but their offering up some welfare checks was enough for you to sell them your soul, eh? WOW. Not impressed, not one bit.

oleboy41

Reaction score
Dems liked slavery. They liked and supported the KKK, and Jim Crowe. They opposed Civil Rights, but their offering up some welfare checks was enough for you to sell them your soul, eh? WOW. Not impressed, not one bit.
What did I say that had a thing to do with the Democractic party or suggests in any way that I'm a supporter? I'd have to say I'm not impressed with your reading comprehension. Not impressed one bit...

Top Bottom