Former Gopher Dwayne Walker steps down at NMSU and heads to Jacksonville Jaguars

Man. You know your program is in the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ter when your head coach leaves to take an assistant coaching job. They should just drop to the FCS.

Who knows for sure why Walker is bolting? If I were to guess, it may have something to do with the program not having a conference and scheduling problems. They’ll play as an independent this year mostly because no one wants them in their conference. They also have something like four games they still need to schedule in 2013 which is unbelievable at this point in time. It was already difficult to recruit and win at NMSU and now it has only gotten tougher. Can’t say I blame Walker for taking an assistant NFL coaching job rather than being fodder for other teams. Speaking of teams that NMSU will play next season…

After last year’s debacle I shouldn’t say this, but we should absolutely destroy NMSU. For one, they’ll have a new coach and all the transition problems that go with it especially for a program like NMSU. Recruiting will probably be a disaster this year. NMSU plays UT to open the season and should get steam rolled. This is great because we play them the following week and will have nine vs. seven days between the first and second games. We should be hitting our stride after (hopefully) hammering UNLV while they’ll be reeling from what will likely be an embarrassing loss. After the UT game, NMSU will probably start thinking about game 3 which is a much more manageable task with it being TX-El Paso. The planets are aligning nicely for our date with NMSU.

Nick Saban was the head coach at Toledo and left to be the DC of the Cleveland Browns.

Nick Saban was the head coach at Toledo and left to be the DC of the Cleveland Browns.

Yeah, but Walker's leaving to be the secondary coach, not the DC. I can't ever recall a sitting DI-A coach voluntarily leaving his job to become a position coach in the NFL.

Yeah, but Walker's leaving to be the secondary coach, not the DC. I can't ever recall a sitting DI-A coach voluntarily leaving his job to become a position coach in the NFL.

I do remember the reverse. :)

In all reality, what job would he have gotten if he eventually got fired? Seems like his is just getting ahead of the curve. Since, I'm sure he wouldn't be getting a whole lot of offers after being canned at NMSU. Just my opinion.

A quick check at the Aggie boards and they don't seem very upset. Didn't like that he bailed right before recruiting, but they seem okay with the offensive coordinator Doug Martin taking over on interim basis.

A quick check at the Aggie boards and they don't seem very upset. Didn't like that he bailed right before recruiting, but they seem okay with the offensive coordinator Doug Martin taking over on interim basis.

man, he sure is gonna rack up the frequent flyer miles jetting between Las Cruces and Tampa Bay ;)

Top Bottom