forgot how fast Terell Smith is

swingman

Reaction score
I remember him closing really fast in 2018 and showing great speed in covering the sideline, but he has been so limited and off the radar in 2019 and 2020 I forgot his impressive track background until skimmimg thru roster this week:

ran a 20.84 in the 200 meter dash (fifth best time in the country) in the GHSA Region 8-AAAAAAA meet • won the Georgia State Championship in the 100m (10.39) as a junior and the 200m (21.26) as a sophomore • his personal record in the 100m is 10.32 and in the 200m is 20.84, which makes him the fastest Big Ten corner commit since 2010

Fleck, Rossi sound very optimistic...Smith and Nubin stepping up would be huge for this defense

I remember him closing really fast in 2018 and showing great speed in covering the sideline, but he has been so limited and off the radar in 2019 and 2020 I forgot his impressive track background until skimmimg thru roster this week:

ran a 20.84 in the 200 meter dash (fifth best time in the country) in the GHSA Region 8-AAAAAAA meet • won the Georgia State Championship in the 100m (10.39) as a junior and the 200m (21.26) as a sophomore • his personal record in the 100m is 10.32 and in the 200m is 20.84, which makes him the fastest Big Ten corner commit since 2010

Fleck, Rossi sound very optimistic...Smith and Nubin stepping up would be huge for this defense
There must be differences from one individual to the next in terms of playing a position. Straight-line speed and game speed are two different animals. Sometimes, key injuries or learning how to play the position take time. Developing instincts is very critical.

In AWJr's case, he developed that instinct since he was three years old. He watched and mimicked his dad's moves by watching films. He developed film study skills at an early age being exposed to football all his life. He reads the quarterback's eyes very well and anticipates the plays effectively.

Terrell Smith will get better as Boye Mafe has done. The fourth and fifth year is where you are going to see the fruits of their hard work.

The story that is unfolding is that the NFL is paying close attention to Gopher Football as a developmental program that the NFL covets. The players coming out of the program are all disciplined quality individuals. I would expect the number of Gophers in the NFL will continue to rise.

Last edited:

I remember a play he made as a freshman where he showed astounding closing speed to break up a pass late in the game. Maybe he's not as assignment-sure as the staff would like, but the raw tools are there.

I've been mostly impressed with Smith thus far. I think he's got a chance to make an all Big Ten team. Both him and Durr. I actually expect Durr to make one of the teams.

I’d love it if T Smith picked off a few this year, especially ones where he broke in and got a clean steal while heading back toward our end zone. If he got a clean start with an INT, his high-end speed would be in display.

T Smith clearly has great speed in the 100 meter range. But I wonder if he could beat Jalen Myrick in a 40 yard dash? Myrick had blazing speed, running a sub 4.3 40 in some pro try out. If T Smith is that fast, and has any vision, maybe PJ should consider using him on KO returns. Myrick had some very nice returns. Of course, if T Smith got injured in a KO return, that would be real bad. So, never mind.

Top Bottom