Forde: Louisville's Rick Pitino shows ugly side after loss to Kentucky

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat Forde:

Rick Pitino is paid roughly $6 million a year. You’d think part of earning that salary would be handling defeat – even bitter defeat – with an ounce of grace and accountability.

The coach of the Louisville Cardinals displayed none of that Saturday. On a day when his team played reasonably well and extremely hard before falling 75-73 to archrival Kentucky, Pitino made himself the talking point by bailing on postgame interviews and (perhaps) flipping off Wildcats fans on his way off the Rupp Arena floor.

Failing to face this particular music, after the Cardinals pretty much played their guts out, was an embarrassment. Sending out associate coach Ralph Willard to handle the press conference was a colossal copout. Willard has done a few other postgame media ops in Pitino’s place this season – including their only other loss, at Michigan State – but you don’t pull that maneuver here and now. Not after the Kentucky game.

If Pitino’s intention all along was not to do interviews after this game, that was never relayed to the media. And, again, this isn’t the game for that. This is no time for Ralph Willard. This is the time for the $6 million man.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/louisv...e-after-loss-to-kentucky-215617608-ncaab.html

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

People are human. Get over it. I'm surprised more athletes/coaches don't flip the bird to nobodies talking smack.

I have a much bigger problem with some of the other stuff he has been in the news for.

People are human. Get over it. I'm surprised more athletes/coaches don't flip the bird to nobodies talking smack.

I have a much bigger problem with some of the other stuff he has been in the news for.

Flipping the bird... sure looked like he couldn't help himself and pulled it back right away. Either way, not too interested in Rick Pitino, he's not our coach.

He couldn't have done it to a kinder and gentler fan base than Kentucky fans. [emoji15]

Hopefully the Kentucky fan or two that still come here to troll for Tubby were within flipping range.

I do wonder what the reaction here would have been had this been Fran McCaffery or someone else from the Big 10.

Our Pitino chimes in:

Anyway, adding to the controversy now is son Richard Pitino, who suggested it wasn’t a finger at all, but rather an entire fist, perhaps an instinctive reaction that fell just short of the message he really wanted to send. Richard laid out his thoughts on his weekly radio show on 1500-a.m. this week.

“I think he was about to give the finger, but he didn’t,” the younger Pitino said. “Like he put his fist up. So maybe it was like that Rocky 4 thing … But he definitely did not give the finger, because I was looking at it like ‘Oh god, don’t give the finger.’ And he didn’t. But again, it’s that fake outrage. It’s like he almost did it. Well OK. You can’t almost do anything. So it’s funny. But I’ll tell you the biggest thing you do to quiet any noise – you win, you win.”

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...t-to-give-the-finger-but-he-didn-t/363827001/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom