For those that still have questions on Jordan Taylor and/or Jared Berggren

EG#9

Reaction score
Tubby Smith was announced as Minnesota's basketball coach on March 22, 2007

http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2008/wisconsin-36

Jared Berggren committed to Wisconsin on January 8, 2007
Jordan Taylor committed to Wisconsin on November 6, 2006

Tubby Smith did not miss out on either player, they were both committed to Wisconsin before he came to Minnesota. Jordan Taylor was a Badger commit for more than a year before Tubby Smith arrived in Minnesota. Tubby Smith deserves ZERO criticism for either player leaving Minnesota.

There are plenty of legitimate things to criticize Tubby Smith for during his tenure in Minnesota, but this is not one of them. Wisconsin has not landed a Minnesota kid with a Gopher offer since Tubby became coach (and Tubby has not landed a Wisconsin kid with a Badger offer either).

Other than the fact that you love Tubby, your point is?

Other than a single poster in another thread, who else is blaming Tubby? Monson totally botched Leuer, but other than that, totally agree.

Molinari worked hard on recruiting Berggren but he was at a big disadvantage being the interim coach and the fact that he wasn't going to be around to much longer.

Other than a single poster in another thread, who else is blaming Tubby? Monson totally botched Leuer, but other than that, totally agree.

I have read posts on the board that said Monson was down to Hoff or Luer and Hoff took the scholarship first. Is there truth to that?

Hoff was a good player for us, though. Leuer was really good, but Hoff was acceptable. Plus, he beat Indiana and that was fun, as you know.

If you do a little work and read EG#9's posting history, you will find a poster who is critical, sometimes harshly so, in all things Gopher related, including Tubby Smith. You will also see a poster who, as in this case, approaches each topic he comments upon with a desire to be accurate and correct.

There is plenty of conjecture and false information on this forum-I appreciate EG#9's desire for accuracy, regardless of the narrative. That your response to a veteran poster who was accurately clarifying a point of debate is accusing said poster of blind love for Tubby Smith tells me you're the one with a myopic agenda, certainly not the OP.

I would agree coolhand, it would do good for some to read a little prior to making such comments.

I have read posts on the board that said Monson was down to Hoff or Luer and Hoff took the scholarship first. Is there truth to that?
No. Leuer had a standing offer for a year or so. After it became clear that he was going to sign with WI, it sounded like they turned their attention to Hoffarber.

Leuer signed with WI first, and the U was playing catch up with Hoffarber to make sure they didn't lose out on both players.

No. Leuer had a standing offer for a year or so. After it became clear that he was going to sign with WI, it sounded like they turned their attention to Hoffarber.

Leuer signed with WI first, and the U was playing catch up with Hoffarber to make sure they didn't lose out on both players.
I thought I remember reading in the Trib maybe a year or two ago that Leur was only offered to walk on?

I thought I remember reading in the Trib maybe a year or two ago that Leur was only offered to walk on?
Nope, Leuer definitely had a scholarship offer for awhile from Monson. They were trying to convince Hoffarber to walk on...must've gotten the players mixed up?

If you do a little work and read EG#9's posting history, you will find a poster who is critical, sometimes harshly so, in all things Gopher related, including Tubby Smith. You will also see a poster who, as in this case, approaches each topic he comments upon with a desire to be accurate and correct.

There is plenty of conjecture and false information on this forum-I appreciate EG#9's desire for accuracy, regardless of the narrative. That your response to a veteran poster who was accurately clarifying a point of debate is accusing said poster of blind love for Tubby Smith tells me you're the one with a myopic agenda, certainly not the OP.

Are you two dating ;)

Leuer was 4 stars, I sincerely doubt he was being asked to walk on.

I just remember reading an article leading up to a Wisconsin game a couple years ago in which one of the players from Minnesota mentioned being offered to walk on at the U.

Nope, Leuer definitely had a scholarship offer for awhile from Monson. They were trying to convince Hoffarber to walk on...must've gotten the players mixed up?

No, Monson offered Leuer only about a month before Leuer committed to Wisconsin. I believe the story was that had Monson offered Leuer a couple months earlier he would have locked him up but instead wasted too much time hopelessly pursuing Mbakwe.

coolhandgopher said:

+1

I recall hearing that Taylor was a big Gopher fan growing up. I think if Tubby would have pursued him he would have gotten him to switch. Tubby himself said that he regretted not perusing him.

I recall hearing that Taylor was a big Gopher fan growing up. I think if Tubby would have pursued him he would have gotten him to switch. Tubby himself said that he regretted not perusing him.

I seem to recall JohnnyGopher saying that Tubby wasn't a big fan of Taylor at the time.

Can't say anything in life for certain but I strongly believe that is not the case.

didn't Calipari once say something to the effect that a recruit's commitment to a school just tells him who he is competing against

would Coach really not have pursued these WI commit recruits hard if he thought they'd be crucial for his team?

didn't Calipari once say something to the effect that a recruit's commitment to a school just tells him who he is competing against

would Coach really not have pursued these WI commit recruits hard if he thought they'd be crucial for his team?
Tubby is one of those "nice guy" coaches that if a recruit says he is committed Tubby will respect that.

I thought it was Bobby Bowden who said that.

I thinkMarquette gets those guys that wiscy can't land in skunkland.
Tubby Smith was announced as Minnesota's basketball coach on March 22, 2007

http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2008/wisconsin-36

Jared Berggren committed to Wisconsin on January 8, 2007
Jordan Taylor committed to Wisconsin on November 6, 2006

Tubby Smith did not miss out on either player, they were both committed to Wisconsin before he came to Minnesota. Jordan Taylor was a Badger commit for more than a year before Tubby Smith arrived in Minnesota. Tubby Smith deserves ZERO criticism for either player leaving Minnesota.

There are plenty of legitimate things to criticize Tubby Smith for during his tenure in Minnesota, but this is not one of them. Wisconsin has not landed a Minnesota kid with a Gopher offer since Tubby became coach (and Tubby has not landed a Wisconsin kid with a Badger offer either).

a veteran poster who was accurately clarifying a point of debate

Not that it is a big deal, but EG#9 wasn't exactly accurate.

Taylor commits Nov. 6, 2006.
Smith is hired Feb. 22, 2007.

EG#9 said Taylor had committed more than a year before Tubby had arrived.

Well, Nov. 2006 to Feb. 2007 is four months. Not over a year.

Doesn't change the fact that Tubby arrived after the commit, but it wasn't over a year after.

Leuer was 4 stars, I sincerely doubt he was being asked to walk on.

GH.com: As far as the Gophers are concerned, what has been your communication with them?

Leuer: I talked to their coaches a lot. I think I have gotten to know Coach Ware the best. Right now they do not have a scholarship available, and they have asked me to walk on the first year. I am still interested in them, but we’ll have to see how it all plays out.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=572

Top Bottom