For those that can't go...please

Sorry ruppert, I won't be buying any tickets until or alumni association does something about making these trips more affordable for the average fan.

Every bowl I've gone to, (3 in the Mason era), I traveled on my own arrangements. Unfortunately you can't get to these (Orlando/Phoenix) warm weather cities with a low airfare.

What are you suggesting? Charter flights? Tent City outside Tempe?

Not trying to be a smartasp here, but what are your suggestions for making it more affordable? :)

Traveling to warm cities around the holidays will never be affordable. The airlines are trying a new strategy right now to turn a profit. Even though fuel prices have dropped, they're keeping the supply of seats incredibly low to drive up prices.

I don't think there is anything the University can do to change that reality. I guess they could put together a bus trip but I don't see many people willing to sit on a stinky bus for 36 hours.

I kind of wish the Music City Bowl was still an option, though I'm sure the organizers are more than happy not to deal with our small crowd every season!

As for donating tickets, when will the option to purchase tickets for donation be made available?

BCS Welfare?

Why should they make it more affordable? either pony up the cash or don't. Nobody is forcing anybody to go to bowl games.

I am however all for purchasing tickets and donating them.

Donated?

I feel fortunate to be employed. Some of my friends have been hit hard with the economy. I always try to make good choices when contributing to charities. The Red Cross is way down, and I've seen firsthand what they do. Same thing with Salvation Army. I saw Jimmy V's foundation on tv tonight that stirred me to make a small donation. But, donating Insight Bowl tickets? I cannot afford the trip and I would actually enjoy the game. To give a ticket to a native Arizona kid...for what purpose? I've got better things to do with my money.

Well said CWCWCW. As long as people pony up the $899 to go to a minor bowl game they'll keep charging the price their asking.

All I'm asking for is our alumni association, which I'm a lifetime member, to look at providing a cheap air only option. I got to believe at even $350 a ticket someone would make some money. You can book car and hotel on your own for 3 days for under $300. A savings of $300 to put into seat in our new stadium.

I feel fortunate to be employed. Some of my friends have been hit hard with the economy. I always try to make good choices when contributing to charities. The Red Cross is way down, and I've seen firsthand what they do. Same thing with Salvation Army. I saw Jimmy V's foundation on tv tonight that stirred me to make a small donation. But, donating Insight Bowl tickets? I cannot afford the trip and I would actually enjoy the game. To give a ticket to a native Arizona kid...for what purpose? I've got better things to do with my money.

You never know when some native Arizona kid is going to grow up to be a four star recruit, and remembering how nice some Gopher was to him when he was little>>>>

In our last bowl game to the Sun Bowl I bought 2 tickets throught ticket office and explicitly told the gal on the phone I wanted to donate them to the troops in El Paso as that was one of the programs at the time. "Sure, no problem." Well I received my Sun Bowl tickets in the mail 4 days before the bowl game. When I called the ticket office to tell them of the error all I got was an "Oops". :mad: 2 seats gone to waste.

And if he grows up to be something other than a stud athlete than he does not deserve the ticket, it would be a complete waste. (sarcasm) Agreed that donating to worthwhile causes is much wiser than donating tickets to a football game, but if you are in a position to do both.....

the truth is...

If you want to go to a bowl game, go. I have been to several and I have given up other things like the ice fishing trip or the Vegas trip or some of the bull crap I buy. I'm no rich dude but it comes down to priorities. Plan early and you can get there cheap. Quit bitching about the Alumni association and book your own trip. I have been on several Creative charters trips and while they are a bit more, its also very convenient. Every chooses what to spend their money on. If you want to go bad enough, start saving a little cash now for next years bowl, its really a great time.
Going on and on about how someone else should make it cheaper is a bunch of pussy complaining. There are several large aircraft charter companies put there so get a quote.

I disagree. I'm looking out for fans. It's not an excuse. I wish someone would do something about the cost.

I have taken atleast 5 CC trips in my life before, the best in 1999 when we upset Penn State.

They are great people, I don't agree with their price structure.

The U and others bitch about Minnesotans not traveling well, I've been to our bowls games. I personally think it's a joke to charge $899 for a 3 day trip to Arizona.

Congrats to those who have saved or who are rich enough to go!

Just as a way of comparison - the "official" Iowa Hawkeye alumni association bowl trip to Tampa - 3 nights with tickets costs $1535/person (four to a room).

http://www.winebrenner.com/documents/08bowlMCTPA3nt.pdf

The "official" Michigan State alumni association bowl trip to Orlando - 4 nights with tickets costs $1944/person (four to a room).

http://www.doddsathletictours.com/bowlf/tourinfo.asp?school_id=51&bowl_id=8&tour=796

The "official" Northwestern alumni association bowl trip to San Antonio - 3 nights with tickets costs $1729/person (four to a room).

http://www.northwesternbowltours.com/alamobowl/AIRH_.php

Clearly, these things aren't cheap. Minnesota's "official" alumni association trip - 3 nights in Tempe at $829/person (four to a room) doesn't sound so bad, I suppose, but it still sounds like a lot of money.

I know, check out Oklahoma's.

I'll save my money for two years when hopefully we play on New Years Day.

here is a great idea and solution

Start a charter company and make it non profit. Do all the work for free so the fans can get to the game....cheap.

After 30 years in retail, the complaining would decrease about 5% if the airfare was $100.00. The very next poo hoo would be the hotel rates and then the cost of beer and then the hot dog price and on and on. IF YOU WANT TO GO, YOU WILL FIGURE IT OUT.

Top Bottom