For the geeks in the crowd....Decker's hit in the Cal game...

gophermartin

Reaction score
...I enjoyed this video and article.

Ouch!

I love that the other parts of the U are on the field and thinking football!!!

G Forces on Decker
GM

Not the most exact science, but considering what the physicist had to work with pretty cool. As noted, the fact that the impact was actually to a small portion of Decker's body makes it worse. After reading this link its not surprising that Decker was in lalaland for a couple of minutes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force#Human_tolerance_of_g-force

Without training and a g-suit most people will be lights out above 5-6g's. Anything above 50 and you're gonna be messed up. But duration is just as important as the force itself.

I had a Pac 10 fan at that game with me. He is a big "west coast" guy that is continually crowing about how the media ignores the west coast. He was pretty confident about the game going in and he of course knew 0 about the Gophers. I was going on and on about Decker before the game saying things like "Yeah, this will obviously be a big up hill climb for the Gophers but at least keep your eye on #7 as he will get his share of big plays." Well, Decker did indeed get 'his' and that touchdown took place right in front of our seats. By the time the third quarter ended and Decker had added a touchdown PASS to the two td catches, my guest was in awe. He has asked me about Decker ever since then and was regularly keeping track of him up until his injury.

Perhaps in some parallel universe out there this same Gopher season is playing itself out in a different way... with an injury free Decker continuing to lead the way. Reality sure can suck.

Although the Gophers lost to Cal, it was that game where I really realized how good TCF Bank Stadium can (and will?) be. Big game atmosphere, electric crowd, etc. etc.

Eagerly awaiting the followup study on the the miniscule g-force incident that ended Decker's college career.:confused:

As in all of life, it's often the little things that get you.

Top Bottom