For Belotti fans...

TCF=UnitedWeStand

Reaction score
here is an article from yesterday's Portland Tribune giving credit to Rich Brooks, not Belotti, for laying the groundwork for Oregon's rise:

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=128744062532874700

Another poster on here pointed this out to me in another thread (can't remember who it was) in which I mentioned Belotti as being someone who built the program from nothing. Belotti and Kelly have certainly carried it through, but folks out there seem to feel Brooks laid the foundation, which then combined with Phil Knights donations, led to the program exploding.

No one person deserves the credit for anything. Brooks got things going in the right direction. Bellotti took over and took them to a new level of success. Nike money helped but as the Chicago Cubs prove annually, having money doesn't ensure success. Oregon was successful because Bellotti proved to be an adept identifier of talent in assistant coaches and hired Chip Kelly, Chris Peterson, Jeff Tedford, and Dirk Koetter who all did great things for the program.

Brooks built them up, but as I recall it took about 13 years (administrations were more patient in those days). Belloti took it from there and had a really brilliant record.

The same thing can be said for a lot of good coaches.

Rich Brooks definitely deserves credit for getting Oregon on the right track, but you can't ignore the positive things that Belotti brought during the Brooks tenure. Belotti was the offensive coordinator of the Ducks under Brooks. Brooks never won more than 6 games in his 12 seasons prior to Belotti being on the staff. Brooks' real success didn't really start until Belotti became the offensive coordinator. I'm not saying this to diminish the things that Rich Brooks did, but you have to keep in mind that the foundation that was set by Brooks was partially due to Belotti.

Furthermore, Belotti went on to coach for 14 seasons after Brooks left. He certainly built on the foundation that Brooks (with his help) initially built. 14 years is much more than merely continuing on from the success of another coach.

Thanks, Husker.

I wasn't intending to discredit anybody; I like Belotti a lot. Just thought it was a good article that made sure people remember it wasn't JUST Belotti that built Oregon's program back up.

I think Belotti would be a great hire. He has proven that he can build a program. That includes identifying young coaches that could take over for him down the road. I think that is a key component for a coach that is older if the U decides to go that direction.

I just can't see Leach catching the same situation he had in Texas in MN. I'm not convinced he could recruit the speed needed for his offense.

The thing about Leach being able to "recruit" speed to Texas Tech, that's sort of a misconception. Many of the recruits who were amazing at Tech were low level walk-on type recruits. Danny Amedola and Wes Welker were guys who probably would have accepted a scholorship offer anywhere. So he is either really good at finding diamonds in the rough or at developing kids.

Crabtree was a 4 star guy, but the Texas Tech receiving corps were littered with countless kids who were big time recruits.

My top 5

Leach
Belotti
Bowden
Golden
Frazier

Belotti would be great for two reasons.

1) He built a successful program (or helped build) one before, and he left on his own terms while still very successful

2) His track record of spotting great assistant coaching talent is incredible. Assuming he is able to do the same at the U, there will be great replacement options when he steps down after 5-7 years.

He also doesn't have his crazy ex-wife around anymore as he divorced her a couple of years ago. Some of the stories around her boozing and rumored flings with players are legendary.

Top Bottom