Football weightlifting Q

gophermartin

Reaction score

While I am not sure if Coach Klein does the clean and jerk, I doubt it is. But I would guess that "hang" or "power" cleans are part of the program.

I think that is a snatch and not a clean and jerk.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/weightlifter-sa-jae-hyouk-dislocates-elbow-london-olympics-083825819--oly.html
The link is a bad elbow injury on a clean and jerk. Do our boys do clean and jerks as a part of the weight training program under Coach Klein?

I'm not familiar with the terms etc of weightlifting. I know there are experts on this on our board.

Also...does Minnesota post the records of our past lifters?

Thanks,

GM

Gross link. Actually a snatch lift.
I'd bet the football guys do some sort of combo of clean/jerk, clean/chest press, or snatch. In fact if i'm right Klein is a big olympic lift guy.

It's not dangerous with the right technique and right supervision. This olympic weightlifter was doing astronomical weight and was a very small guy. I'd doubt the strongest snatch in D1 football is much more than what he was doing at 170 lbs.
Back injuries are most common due to poor core strength or bad technique, but this type of elbow blowout is not common, even for high weight.

Husker can go on about the weight room records:)

I've got to believe they do some kind of power clean. Like already mentioned, if done correctly, is not that dangerous. The jerk and snatch are much more dangerous as you're lifting that weight over your head. Power cleans are great for athletes. It uses almost your entire body. Great combination of strength, speed, and coordination.

"The jerk and snatch are much more dangerous as you're lifting that weight over your head."

I guess the danger increases the more she weighs?

Gross link. Actually a snatch lift.
I'd bet the football guys do some sort of combo of clean/jerk, clean/chest press, or snatch. In fact if i'm right Klein is a big olympic lift guy.

It's not dangerous with the right technique and right supervision. This olympic weightlifter was doing astronomical weight and was a very small guy. I'd doubt the strongest snatch in D1 football is much more than what he was doing at 170 lbs.
Back injuries are most common due to poor core strength or bad technique, but this type of elbow blowout is not common, even for high weight.

Husker can go on about the weight room records:)

That 170 is KILOS, not pounds. 170 kg = 374 lbs. willing to bet NO Division 1 football player is snatching 374. Very few can clean that much.

That 170 is KILOS, not pounds. 170 kg = 374 lbs. willing to bet NO Division 1 football player is snatching 374. Very few can clean that much.

Actually I meant that the weightlifter weighed 170 lbs and was snatching 357 lbs.
Yes likely there isn't a D1 football player doing that much, though it's possible.
That type of weight requires alot of technique and heavy weight training like that just isn't that beneficial to football players for one rep. I'll bet there are field athletes(shotputters/hammer/discus) that can do that much though. 400+ lb cleans are not out of the question at the D1 level for a thrower, but it's something that is worked on and has a purpose(intense singular reps to simulate a high effort throw)

The University of Minnesota Football Strength and Conditioning under Coach Klein one of the missing links in the program. He has taken a total approach from nutrition, fexlibilty, speed shuttle, lean muscle mass, core training, team building, in addition to power cleans. squats and bench press. Coach Kill is now talking about body transformations. See Kevin Love. I would not doubt Klein is actually measuring lean muscle mass using Hydrodensitometry Weighing in my mind the only way to truely determine lean muscle mass. As far as an Olympic Snatch or Clean and Jerk I doubt he would employ either. As far as the fastest, quickest, leader in the squat, bench, or power clean being published it aint going to happen. Leaving this in the dark, is just the way they want it.

Ok...is there a web site that can explain

-clean vs
-clean and jerk vs
-jerk and snatch vs
-power clean vs
-snatch

Maybe there are like 3 lift and multiple terms for the same thing.

Thanks inadvance.

I'm sure Wikipedia could explain it to you in more detail, but basically:
A clean is to lift the bar from the floor up to your upper chest. The 2 main varieties are:
1. hang clean, in which the lifter does a dead lift of the bar off the floor up to their thighs and then repetitively does the motion from the thighs to the upper chest. Basically you try to lift the bar vertically off your thighs while sinking your body to "catch" the bar on your upper chest
2. power clean - once you get used to hang clean and develop good form, you graduate to power clean, where you repetitively do the whole lift (from the floor up to your upper chest).

The "jerk" is where you push the weight from your shoulder height straight up over your head to have your arms extended. You can do this from holding the weight in front of you (on your upper chest) or behind you (on your shoulders). In high school, we did "push jerks" where we'd take the weight off a squat bar behind us on our shoulders then you'd crouch down and explode up then try to sink to catch the weight. This really is more of a leg lift (and coordination lift) than an arms lift. Oh, also this can be combined with a power clean to produce a "clean & jerk" - which as you can figure from my previous description is a power clean from floor to upper chest, then a pause, then a jerk to get it straight up over your head.

Finally, there is the snatch - which I have never done and have no direct experience with, but judging from TV, I think the thing is it's kind of like a clean & jerk, but without any pause in the middle. You pull the weight off the floor and then fling it over your head all in one motion to catch it with your arms extended.

I don't think there is a "jerk & snatch" but I could be wrong.

I'm sure Wikipedia could explain it to you in more detail, but basically:
A clean is to lift the bar from the floor up to your upper chest. The 2 main varieties are:
1. hang clean, in which the lifter does a dead lift of the bar off the floor up to their thighs and then repetitively does the motion from the thighs to the upper chest. Basically you try to lift the bar vertically off your thighs while sinking your body to "catch" the bar on your upper chest
2. power clean - once you get used to hang clean and develop good form, you graduate to power clean, where you repetitively do the whole lift (from the floor up to your upper chest).

The "jerk" is where you push the weight from your shoulder height straight up over your head to have your arms extended. You can do this from holding the weight in front of you (on your upper chest) or behind you (on your shoulders). In high school, we did "push jerks" where we'd take the weight off a squat bar behind us on our shoulders then you'd crouch down and explode up then try to sink to catch the weight. This really is more of a leg lift (and coordination lift) than an arms lift. Oh, also this can be combined with a power clean to produce a "clean & jerk" - which as you can figure from my previous description is a power clean from floor to upper chest, then a pause, then a jerk to get it straight up over your head.

Finally, there is the snatch - which I have never done and have no direct experience with, but judging from TV, I think the thing is it's kind of like a clean & jerk, but without any pause in the middle. You pull the weight off the floor and then fling it over your head all in one motion to catch it with your arms extended.

I don't think there is a "jerk & snatch" but I could be wrong.

You've got it pretty well spelled out here.
Snatch requires a wide grip, which would be pretty dangerous to transition to a jerk(slide hands inside and catch while the bar with weight it over your head), also you cannot recover from a snatch to you chest, it's a floor to above your head move, so no snatch and jerk exists.

You've got it pretty well spelled out here.
Snatch requires a wide grip, which would be pretty dangerous to transition to a jerk(slide hands inside and catch while the bar with weight it over your head), also you cannot recover from a snatch to you chest, it's a floor to above your head move, so no snatch and jerk exists.

I love it when you guys talk dirty.

From what I understand, squatting is a huge part of Coach Klein's program(I'm sure he has more than one). If it's anything like a previous program of his that I've seen, I think they may squat, or do a squat variation, every day.

If snatch and clean are done correctly there is a squat aspect. Snatch requires the use of an overhead squat and clean requires a front squat. Both "lifts" require more explosive power vs. strength - if done correctly there should not be an pressing or lifting. All movement generated by the bodies momentum.

In both the snatch and the clean jerk the weight is locked above the athletes head. In the snatch, they lift the bar to arm’s length above their head in one movement. They do this in a squat position. Once the weight is "snatched" the lifter stands from a squat holding the weight above their head. In the clean and jerk, they lift the bar to their shoulders, stand up straight and then jerk the bar to arm’s length above their head.

The two lifts call for timing, technique, and strength.

Top Bottom