Football vs Basketball Schedule

"To be honest with you I hardly care about preseason."

Fair enough.

However, there are others like you paying $30 per game who feel quite differently. I think a lot of us would feel much obliged if we were able to get our blood boiling a couple times prior to the start of the Big 10 season. I don't think that's asking a lot considering there are roughly 8-10 nonconference home games every season.

Like Anonymous said, if Morgan State & SFA are two of your "best" 3 home games. ... yikes!

You are right. It may be important to some people. This is just based on my experience. Again, when I was at West Lafayette, Keady invited UCLA for a preseason game. It was during Lavin era (he was on Keady's roster for a few seasons as an assistant). That year UCLA had a good team with Earl Watson, Kopono, Godizurik (not sure about spelling). That game was one of the most boring games that I have ever watched. That's why I don't even go to those games. I am more excited about Big10 games.

Esposito says now teams don't want to play @ The Barn
With Kansas and Seton Hall on record about playing at The Barn, what will Esposito be using as an excuse in the furure?

http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/123000aaa.html

"That game was one of the most boring games that I have ever watched."

Your definition of boring must be a lot different than mine. Purdue nearly came all the way back from a 16-point second-half deficit with 10 minutes left, cutting the lead to two with less than a minute to play. Yes, it sounds like it was a real snoozer. I'm guessing you left early.

http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/123000aaa.html

"That game was one of the most boring games that I have ever watched."

Your definition of boring must be a lot different than mine. Purdue nearly came all the way back from a 16-point second-half deficit with 10 minutes left, cutting the lead to two with less than a minute to play. Yes, it sounds like it was a real snoozer. I'm guessing you left early.

Believe it or not, I was there. It really wasn't pretty.

The real issue

is that, unlike most BCS schools, our basketball program has needed to turn a bigger than normal profit to cover for the lack of football income. We have been scheduling home opponents that do not require a large guarantee or a game back. We needed to have 13+ home non conference games. We have to - we needed the money. I don't like it - but it is the reality of the situation.

2009 is the dawn of a new era with The Bank. We will start, very soon, to see the real effects of on campus football - the $$$ that come with 50,000+ sell out crowds.

This is going to relieve some of the pressure on basketball - and I am guaranteeing that Maturi and Tubby will take advantage of it by scheduling more home-home BCS school in 2010 and beyond. Maturi is a competitive person, as is Tubby. They want to play (and be) the best.

If the 2010 still has few BCS games, I will stand corrected (and be pissed as hell)

Respectfully. ...

"The real issue is that, unlike most BCS schools, our basketball program has needed to turn a bigger than normal profit to cover for the lack of football income."

If that is the case, then how were we able to schedule 2 or more BCS home opponents in the 2000-01, 2001-02, 2002-03 and 2006-07 seasons? Weren't the Gophers playing football in the Metrodome those years?

Respectfully. ...

"The real issue is that, unlike most BCS schools, our basketball program has needed to turn a bigger than normal profit to cover for the lack of football income."

If that is the case, then how were we able to schedule 2 or more BCS home opponents in the 2000-01, 2001-02, 2002-03 and 2006-07 seasons? Weren't the Gophers playing football in the Metrodome those years?

SelectionSunday,
You have been watching way too many Law and Order shows. Just let it go man. You are shortening your likespan.

How so? Logic, reason, and facts will shorten his lifespan? :rolleyes:

No, worring too much would. Three years ago this team was ...... Now, that is getting national attention, we are fighting for more. Greed is good. Be thankful for what you have.

Respectfully. ...

SS,

Not to pick a fight, but most of those games were home/home with Nebraska and Marquette. Marquette drop us when the moved to the Big East. Not sure why Nebraska was not renewed.

Was not the Clemson game in 2006-07 the ACC Challenge game? I don't see an ACC team that season.

From 2004-05 through today, there is a serious lack of BCS teams. That is both Monson and Tubby. I still submit that it was financially driven and not just a coaches "preference".

Certainly St Joe's, SFA, and Morgan St are good opponents. I'd expect Gophers to sweep home OOC games.

I guaranteed nothing like that. Pure BS on his part.

Those are not good opponents.

To me, a good opponent is one that you're actually kind of maybe even just a little bit worried about. I am worried about 0 of those teams. Should crush them all.

Dont give us this crap about you talked to Esposito and all that garbage....you know nothing more than any of us, clearly.

As the other poster said, this schedule is not more to my liking.

No, worring too much would. Three years ago this team was ...... Now, that is getting national attention, we are fighting for more. Greed is good. Be thankful for what you have.

And 4 years ago in 2005 we played Oklahoma and Alabama in a pre-season tourney (much like this year) and made the NCAA tourney.

2005 Gopher record

Like I said at the start of this thread. Im ecstatic with what Tubby has done here at MN. But he NEEDS to start scheduling better. He has the talent, experience and expectations this year. Why not schedule like it!

I don't see how there can be an argument that this will be a poor non-conference season to attend. I'm among those shelling out a lot of money for the season. Count me as completely enthusiastic about Tubby and lacking enthusiasm for most of the non-conference choices. And I'm pretty easy to please - a night at the Barn is a good time and I can't wait to get there. And yet there are plenty I won't cry about if I have a scheduling conflict this year. And no one ask for my tickets - I'll find a use for them because the resale value is nil. Last year NC tickets went for $5 outside. That was usually all I could get for extras (people often give us tickets when they can't go knowing our kids might use 'em). So, knowing that the street value of the non-conference season tickets is 1/6 of what I paid for it, and it could be different - well - that's the complaint

We have added some local opponents (Duluth and Moorhead State for exhibition??) and while they may all enjoy coming to the barn and playing, they are usually snoozers, with the exception of NDSU (who we are NOT playing this year). Add to this the new regulations for students ticket purchasing (I know, I know - you're all for it - good for you) and I doubt the even the student section will have good attendance for the non-conference. I hope I'm wrong, but at this point the compelling games are all BT.

UST - you may be right about the economics.

I don't see how there can be an argument that this will be a poor non-conference season to attend. I'm among those shelling out a lot of money for the season. Count me as completely enthusiastic about Tubby and lacking enthusiasm for most of the non-conference choices. And I'm pretty easy to please - a night at the Barn is a good time and I can't wait to get there. And yet there are plenty I won't cry about if I have a scheduling conflict this year. And no one ask for my tickets - I'll find a use for them because the resale value is nil. Last year NC tickets went for $5 outside. That was usually all I could get for extras (people often give us tickets when they can't go knowing our kids might use 'em). So, knowing that the street value of the non-conference season tickets is 1/6 of what I paid for it, and it could be different - well - that's the complaint

We have added some local opponents (Duluth and Moorhead State for exhibition??) and while they may all enjoy coming to the barn and playing, they are usually snoozers, with the exception of NDSU (who we are NOT playing this year). Add to this the new regulations for students ticket purchasing (I know, I know - you're all for it - good for you) and I doubt the even the student section will have good attendance for the non-conference. I hope I'm wrong, but at this point the compelling games are all BT.

UST - you may be right about the economics.

This was the post on this subject. I am with you. I want to win BT. I want to beat NW, PT, and Michigan for sure. I don't care if we beat Duke in November. I would love to beat them in March.

Top Bottom