Football Talk---X's & O's

Reaction score
Here's a vid of the Northern Illinois game.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/llwbtcdX6To" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why did NIU put it on us?

Interesting, but I am not sure of the purpose. We played just as badly, and stupidly, as I remembered us playing. I don't know if Brewster thought he was going to wear them down, or what the strategy was, but at the end of the game they were a lot fresher than we were. They out played us in the trenches on both sides of the ball, we were consistently blocked and took ourselves out of positionon the DL and at LB, and we never really got most of their defenders blocked. But despite that complete failure in the trenches, and with all due respect to Coach Kill and his staff, I still think that game was winnable by passing because they never really stopped our passing attack, we did, because we were having too much fun proving were a power team by failing on fourth and one.

A few thoughts:

The penetrating nature of Claeys's D was the difference maker on those short yardage situations, guys hit our runners in the backfield rather than try to hold up the point.

Physically, NIU was not a MAC squad, there were some big guys on that team and some very sculpted athletes. Impressive.

Sloppy tackling and gap discipline was rampant, our defense was out of position/took play fakes way too much, and missed tackles in the hole.

Collado was another guy really out of position/lost his man in that game, he had a nice end of the year, but really got picked on.

I know Kill has mentioned John Teerlink(sp?) the former Viking D line coach and I think Colts D line coach, anyone really struck at how Claeys's scheme and defensive style looks like the early-mid 90's Viking D/Colts D, especially up front?.

It will be interesting to see how that scheme fairs against some of the classic power run teams of the Big Ten, wisky specifically. I think it's got a chance.
Penetrate, cause chaos in the backfield, maybe trip up some of those 320 lb pulling guards before they can get to the trap block. I dunno. I like the scheme though.

A few thoughts:

The penetrating nature of Claeys's D was the difference maker on those short yardage situations, guys hit our runners in the backfield rather than try to hold up the point.

Physically, NIU was not a MAC squad, there were some big guys on that team and some very sculpted athletes. Impressive.

Sloppy tackling and gap discipline was rampant, our defense was out of position/took play fakes way too much, and missed tackles in the hole.

Collado was another guy really out of position/lost his man in that game, he had a nice end of the year, but really got picked on.

I know Kill has mentioned John Teerlink(sp?) the former Viking D line coach and I think Colts D line coach, anyone really struck at how Claeys's scheme and defensive style looks like the early-mid 90's Viking D/Colts D, especially up front?.

It will be interesting to see how that scheme fairs against some of the classic power run teams of the Big Ten, wisky specifically. I think it's got a chance.
Penetrate, cause chaos in the backfield, maybe trip up some of those 320 lb pulling guards before they can get to the trap block. I dunno. I like the scheme though.

I agree, but the DTs and at least one DE have to be quick enough to get up field. I actually think Kirksey and Jacobs can play this defense, physically it really fits them, but it is a big change from what they were taught the last two years.

Top Bottom