Food For Thought For The Athletic Department

DL65

Reaction score
Some time in the next year or two, especially if the Gopher baseball team has a new stadium to play in and celebrate, the athletic department should consider sandwiching the spring football game between a doubleheader involving the Gophers and a Big 10 opponent. A good way to promote both sports teams.

In 1973, Minnesota played a doubleheader against the Illini. For a small ticket fee, Gopher fans could watch the football team's annual scrimmage that kicked off at 1:00 p.m. and the baseball games. The first baseball game started around 11:00 a.m. and the second game started around 2:30 p.m. I was able to take in the first game that featured Dave Winfield as the starting pitcher. The second game the future hall-of-famer played in the outfield. The Gopher were conference champs that baseball season.

We left shortly before the first game ended with the Gophers having the upper hand so that we could take in the spring football game at Memorial Stadium - Cal Stoll's second spring game. Following the spring game, we returned to Seibert Field for a few more innings of baseball. As a result of the sports scheduling, both teams enjoyed increased attendance at the two events.

It was a great opportunity to see Winfield finish his collegiate baseball career, after watching him play two years on the hardwood inside Williams Arena. If he had the time, I'm sure Winfield would have been an outstanding tight end. (The Vikings thought so, too, as they drafted him for that position.) He truly was a gifted athlete. He was drafted by the Atlanta Hawks of the NBA, if my memory is correct. He signed with the San Diego Padres, and as they say: the rest is history.

As my title suggests, something for the athletic department to think about.

Go Gophers!!

Perhaps not as appealing as this idea (great idea, BTW), but I think the big annual alumni association celebration falls on April 24th this year, so you could take in the spring game and then attend the dinner with Katie Couric as the speaker.

Top Bottom