Food delivery services

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
How many people are utilizing food delivery services lately such as GrubHub, DoorDash, UberEats, et al?

I've been tinkering with it more and more the last several months. It's not the most cost effective way to get food but when you're a horrible dinner planner like myself, it's an easy option to make sure you don't starve.

I'm sure some are more popular in some areas than others, or aren't available at all in some places. I've used GrubHub mostly, and recently used DoorDash a few times in the last week.

One upside I've noticed is that I've tried a few places that I had never eaten before, and a few I never even knew about before that were not far from the house.

Any takers here? Upside, downside, ...?

Haven’t yet tried any of the food delivery options you’ve listed. I have, however, tried
DineDash on more than one occasion, and found it a very economical way to eat.

If I’m ordering in I prefer Tinder.

Back in the day before mobile apps there was a pretty good food delivery company in Minneapolis. You’d call in an order and 30-45 minutes later it was delivered. I believe they got bought out at some point, this was years ago.

To the OP, I have mainly used DoorDash and FoodDudes. No real difference between them, just a question of which restaurant you want. DoorDash lets you see the delivery progress all the way though which is nice.

Haven’t yet tried any of the food delivery options you’ve listed. I have, however, tried
DineDash on more than one occasion, and found it a very economical way to eat.
Is that a sustainable and long term viable option? One would think you would only utilize that option in very rare situations

I use the Canadian version, Skipthedishes, a fair bit.

It is great if you are going to order in/ eat out. Frankly, with a few exceptions, I prefer to eat at home rather than in a restaurant. I used to have to pick up and there is nothing better than getting food delivered.

Pro tip: Order early and set a time to be delivered. On a Friday, I will order from work around 4:30 to have food delivered @7. I then leisurely go home, walk the dogs, have a beer and poof, delicious food is at my door.

As for cost, Ogee, I believe you have often lectured us about not valuing cost of personal time. Well, if you are going to eat out the cost is roughly another $5 or so for delivery (I tip the driver 15% or so on top of delivery- so tip is roughly the same), and that is $5 I am very happy to pay.

Downside is it too easy. When my wife was away, I ordered way too much. Cooking and eating at home is much cheaper and often a lot better.

Caveat: I am shocked at how many people order McDonalds for delivery. All those choices and people pay for Rotten Ronnies.

I use the Canadian version, Skipthedishes, a fair bit.

It is great if you are going to order in/ eat out. Frankly, with a few exceptions, I prefer to eat at home rather than in a restaurant. I used to have to pick up and there is nothing better than getting food delivered.

Pro tip: Order early and set a time to be delivered. On a Friday, I will order from work around 4:30 to have food delivered @7. I then leisurely go home, walk the dogs, have a beer and poof, delicious food is at my door.

As for cost, Ogee, I believe you have often lectured us about not valuing cost of personal time. Well, if you are going to eat out the cost is roughly another $5 or so for delivery (I tip the driver 15% or so on top of delivery- so tip is roughly the same), and that is $5 I am very happy to pay.

Downside is it too easy. When my wife was away, I ordered way too much. Cooking and eating at home is much cheaper and often a lot better.

Caveat: I am shocked at how many people order McDonalds for delivery. All those choices and people pay for Rotten Ronnies.
All good points.

Took me a few times before I figured out the ordering ahead of time. GREAT tip. I'll order from the office, around 2p or 3p maybe, for food to come when I want it. Only downside of that is at least one time they came a fair amount earlier than the time I specified and I was driving in my driveway when they had just gotten there already. WTF.

Sticking the company for the costs is also another benefit. Anything that can be put on the company card and made to look like business expense is a major plus.

We use it to try things we normally would not do as a family--Spicy Chinese or other ethnic food. Either have to get a sitter to try, or risk having a meal where the kids eat nothing. We order for the whole family, but if it gets to the point where the new food isn't eaten, it's easy to remedy with something from the fridge, and you spare the other diners the drama.

Top Bottom