Florida Gulf Coast/Michigan State ending

gophersfan

Reaction score
Anyone see this. the Clock operator screw it up. he started the clock right after the Florida Gulf Coast player threw the ball in. horrible.

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/5tOb9EOTLWp/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

I couldn't believe they can't replay that in some form or fashion. seems to me that they need to look into that in a competition committee this year.

I couldn't believe they can't replay that in some form or fashion. seems to me that they need to look into that in a competition committee this year.

Wait? They didn't replay that? Seems like an easy way to get some home court advantage.

They would have found a way if it happened to Mich. St.

Where's the FIBA guy from the Russian Olympic game when you need him?

The refs start the clock so it was a official mistake. He didn't make it so who cares?

Well for those people not watching the game the buzzer went off as he caught the ball. I am pretty sure that'll impact his shot. Not to mention with 1.6 sec he should have had a dribble or 2 and then a shot.

Bingo.

The ref starts the clock with a device on his belt, and the clock stops automatically on a whistle.

Regardless of who starts and stops the clock, Tim's point is still valid. The buzzer would have sounded, altering the course of action and outcome potentially.

I saw it, it was ridiculous. I can't imagine the controversy if this happened in the Final Four. I also agreed with the announcer that just prior to this they took too much time off when the guy defending the inbounds pass spiked it back out of bounds. It was very quick and they took off almost a second. The fact the he missed the shot on the play in the vidieo should not matter. The buzzer went off signaling the end of the game before he even shot, that would have an effect on him.

The Big 10 put out a statement today admitting the error. They claimed it was the clock operator at courtside - not the officials - who started the clock early. apparently both have control - the officials and the clock operator.

The Big 10 put out a statement today admitting the error. They claimed it was the clock operator at courtside - not the officials - who started the clock early.

Actually, the statement said exactly the opposite of what you suggested. They said it was the referee who started the clock in error, NOT the clock operator.

Statement from Big 10

""While the on-court officials and Michigan State timekeeper have the ability to start and stop the clock, after a complete review of the timing error on the game’s final play with 1.6 seconds remaining, it was confirmed that a game official improperly set the clock in motion via his Precision Timing belt pack,” the conference release stated. “The subsequent adjudication of rules, allowing for use of the courtside video monitor and a handheld digital stopwatch to determine whether the shot was released prior to expiration, and if there was any time remaining in the game, were properly administered.”

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...016/11/21/michigan-state-fgcu-clock/94224688/

It is a crazy play. Had the guy made the shot, it would have counted and FGCU would have won the game. During review the officials would use a stop watch to determine the should would have been in time.

The argument is whether the horn becomes a distraction or not.

It is a crazy play. Had the guy made the shot, it would have counted and FGCU would have won the game. During review the officials would use a stop watch to determine the should would have been in time.

The argument is whether the horn becomes a distraction or not.

...and how could it not be? Heck, it was already sounding when he caught it. This kind of thing makes me sick to my stomach.

...and how could it not be? Heck, it was already sounding when he caught it. This kind of thing makes me sick to my stomach.

This is why the way they handle it is terrible. The mistake absolutely affected the play. The player rushed the shot because the horn went off.

Top Bottom