Florida CB excited about Minnesota offer

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from SuperPrep.com:

Rashad Knight, cornerback from Jacksonville-Trinity Christian Academy, Fla., is adding scholarship offers on a regular basis. Knight reeled in an offer from a Big 10 program Monday and was excited about the new opportunity.

"Minnesota just offered me," said Rashad Knight. "I was real excited about the offer. I have never talked to any of their coaches before. I had received a few letters and then received the offer in the mail."

"Overall the offer was just really exciting, and I didn't expect it. I hope to learn more about them. I will probably take an unofficial visit up there."

Knight holds several offers including Michigan, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Purdue, Syracuse and Vanderbilt.

He finished the 2008 season with 63 tackles and two picks on defense. He added 693 yards rushing with five scores to go along with nine receptions for 150 yards.

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=2&c=862825

Go Gophers!!

5'10" 175. 4.45-40. sounds like a good target for CB.

Sounds like a good offer on paper, but if you are the Gopher coaches, how do you offer a guy without talking to him at all first?

Seems to me you'd at least want to talk to the kid to see if he is interested in coming here before you extend a firm offer?

Sounds like a good offer on paper, but if you are the Gopher coaches, how do you offer a guy without talking to him at all first?

Seems to me you'd at least want to talk to the kid to see if he is interested in coming here before you extend a firm offer?

You talk to his HS coach. Depending on the time of year there are restrictions on the college coaches contacting the prospect but there are no restrictions on talking to the coach.

hey god, whats your deal with grunkie? Everytime he posts something you attack him. Let the man talk, he usually gives good information. I don't really care if he is rehashing some other board, it's new to me. I don't see why you care so much. If he has an observation from a highlight video, let him make it, even if it is 30 seconds.

While I don't agree with GG's confrontational style, I do agree with his point. There is far too often way too much hype on this board for guys who have yet to take a snap in a college game, let alone even played their senior year of HS ball.

lots of people have taken college snaps and they suck, what does that have to do with anything? If the kids a gamer he's a gamer.

lots of people have taken college snaps and they suck, what does that have to do with anything? If the kids a gamer he's a gamer.

Gee, I don't know...maybe it has to do with the fact that you can evaluate them in live action against other college football players, and gauge their abilities accordingly?

Going off video and measurables leads to things like Mike Mamula getting drafted #7 overall.

Gee, I don't know...maybe it has to do with the fact that you can evaluate them in live action against other college football players, and gauge their abilities accordingly?

Going off video and measurables leads to things like Mike Mamula getting drafted #7 overall.

You had to go back 14 years for an example? Makes me wonder about your argument.

You had to go back 14 years for an example? Makes me wonder about your argument.

For crying out loud...I was just throwing out the first example that came into my head of someone whose measurables exceeded their ability to play football.

I could quite easily assemble a list running into the hundreds of players who were highly overrated coming out of HS or college. I have neither the time nor the inclination.

My whole point is that assigning superlatives based on watching a few seconds of video is tenuous at best.

While I don't agree with GG's confrontational style, I do agree with his point. There is far too often way too much hype on this board for guys who have yet to take a snap in a college game, let alone even played their senior year of HS ball.[/QUOTE

Isn't that one of the great things about being a fan? We can get excited about guys all we want even if we haven't seen them play or they haven't played in a college football game. If we land Seantrel to come play here can I get excited and expect big things from him? What damage does it do to get excited about your own players? Don't attack the guy for being an optimist and getting excited about the team.
________
Lamborghini miura

Did anyone say he was or will be as good as Antoine Winfield?! No, they did not. He was just being descriptive. I have an idea of his size and his style. If grunkiejr watched a 30 sec clip of him, that is 30 sec more than I've seen of him, so I appreciate the description. Thanks for ruining another thread, d-bags (GG, dpod).

Isn't that one of the great things about being a fan? We can get excited about guys all we want even if we haven't seen them play or they haven't played in a college football game. If we land Seantrel to come play here can I get excited and expect big things from him? What damage does it do to get excited about your own players? Don't attack the guy for being an optimist and getting excited about the team.

Nothing wrong with being excited. The problem lies when people start comparing them to players like Antoine Winfield. There is a .001% chance this guy will ever be even half as good as Winfield. It doesn't do anything but make the OP look silly for comparing him to one of the best players alive at his own position.

Oh, and using this guy's name in the same breath as Henderson is sacrilege.

Thanks for ruining another thread, d-bags (GG, dpod).

More than one person has thrown that around pertaining to me, and I have asked several times for someone to explain how I have been so, something that has not been done. Care to take on the challenge?

Nothing wrong with being excited. The problem lies when people start comparing them to players like Antoine Winfield. There is a .001% chance this guy will ever be even half as good as Winfield. It doesn't do anything but make the OP look silly for comparing him to one of the best players alive at his own position.

Oh, and using this guy's name in the same breath as Henderson is sacrilege.

Again, no one, except for you, is comparing his SKILLS to Winfield. When he said, think Winfield. I thought, little guy that can tackle well. I didn't think he would be a for sure be a stud and play 10 years in the NFL. Time to flip your pad.

Yeah, let's not overblow the comparison. The guy was giving Minnesota fans someone to relate this athlete to whom they would actually know. If he busted out some no-name guy whom he could really compare him to, would that comparison be very productive? I think not. As was said, when he said "think Winfield", it helped me put a visual on what kind of player he could be. I don't think anyone else could possibly have thought he meant he literally plays as well as Antoine Winfield and we should expect Antoine Winfield production if he commits here.

Again, no one, except for you, is comparing his SKILLS to Winfield. When he said, think Winfield. I thought, little guy that can tackle well. I didn't think he would be a for sure be a stud and play 10 years in the NFL. Time to flip your pad.

Flip my pad? Nice work with the sexism. Try harder next time - maybe a Midol reference or something.

When you invoke the name of a player, you ARE comparing him to that person, regardless of what you say. You're saying, this guy plays like Antoine Winfield. And no, no he doesn't. That's like saying "Ralph Sampson III plays like Hakeem Olajuwon" based on the fact that they're both 6'10" and have/had a good jump shot.

Still waiting for the explanation...

hey god, whats your deal with grunkie? Everytime he posts something you attack him. Let the man talk, he usually gives good information. I don't really care if he is rehashing some other board, it's new to me. I don't see why you care so much. If he has an observation from a highlight video, let him make it, even if it is 30 seconds.

My point is that unless you have seen extensive tape of a player or seen him play in person that you cannot evaluate the player and make statements about his ability accurately. A 30 second highlight reel is as the name implies the best plays and hits of that athletes career roled into one video. When you state an observation as fact without seeing the whole or atleast a larger body of work than a highlight tape you are potentially misleading others and representing yourself as an expert on a situation or athlete you may have little knowledge of.

Flip my pad? Nice work with the sexism. Try harder next time - maybe a Midol reference or something.

When you invoke the name of a player, you ARE comparing him to that person, regardless of what you say. You're saying, this guy plays like Antoine Winfield. And no, no he doesn't. That's like saying "Ralph Sampson III plays like Hakeem Olajuwon" based on the fact that they're both 6'10" and have/had a good jump shot.

That is just not true. If he said this guy is the next Antoine Winfield or something like that, it would be different. There is a difference between comparing abilities and comparing styles of play. Everyone except you and that d-bag GopherGod seems to understand that.
________
Buy vapir one

That is just not true. If he said this guy is the next Antoine Winfield or something like that, it would be different. There is a difference between comparing abilities and comparing styles of play. Everyone except you and that d-bag GopherGod seems to understand that.

Agree to disagree. There's no need to even mention someone's name, because you're setting up expectations by doing that. He could've just as well said, "he hits hard, like a safety" and left it at that. Everyone would've gotten the gist without including the ridiculous comparisons.

Nice Mamula reference. I was a big fan of his for awhile there. After he crapped out in the pros I decided it'd be in everyone's best interest that I not pursue a career as GM of a professional sports team.

Stop taking everything so literally. Everyone compares a prospect to a player that has made it to the pros. The comparison just gives a point of reference to the type of player he may end up being. Everyone knows that there are no guarantees, but it helps give perspective of what we MAY see.

As already pointed out, no one expects him to be A. Winfield or even close, but that does not mean the kid has no attributes similar to Winfield.

Maybe we should say that he is like Joe Schmoo of Schmooville, HS. Would that work?

Top Bottom