Fleck: "We will evaluate everything we are doing." When asked about Morgan was still the best option at QB1, Fleck responded "absolutely."

While you're at it, evaluate special teams. Specifically, punt returns. Stop treating them like the most dangerous play in college football. Not going to rush? OK, then set up the return, AND RETURN it. Get someone back there willing and able to catch the frigging ball in the air, and willing and able to run with the ball after they do. Or try for a block. Or something.

What we do now is NOT elite.

Hard to blame the place kicking woes on anyone but the kicker. But the punt return issues are ENTIRELY by design. Let's play to win, instead of playing to avoid mistakes.

Can't expect him to really say anything else. I'm really hoping and trusting that he is taking a better look at things, as today was not a good day.

People point fingers at the assistants or players but this play not to lose mentality starts at the top. You can swap out Sanford, Callahan, Wenger and whoever else but the culture remains. I know Fleck studies Saban and he needs to make the same shift in approach that he did when things started to go stale at Alabama. There’s a cap on how far teams that try to ball control games to death can go and there’s no better example of that than when you look to our friends to the East.

Just so disappointing when you factor in how good the defense is this year and how mediocre our rivals have looked. Should have really been a cake walk to Indy.

While you're at it, evaluate special teams. Specifically, punt returns. Stop treating them like the most dangerous play in college football. Not going to rush? OK, then set up the return, AND RETURN it. Get someone back there willing and able to catch the frigging ball in the air, and willing and able to run with the ball after they do. Or try for a block. Or something.

What we do now is NOT elite.

Hard to blame the place kicking woes on anyone but the kicker. But the punt return issues are ENTIRELY by design. Let's play to win, instead of playing to avoid mistakes.
Yup - to that end, put someone who can break it as well - Bucky comes to mind.

We only have 2 healthy starting caliber RBs left, too risky to get one hurt on a punt return?
It’s 5 in the morning here, so I wasn’t 🤔 it all the way through at this point. I want someone more dynamic back there - Dylan Wright maybe? They’re not overusing have at WR and he has elite athleticism and deserves more touches.

Given we can play the young guys 4 games and not burn a shirt is there not a player (corner or WR I’m guessing?) that could give this a go given they haven’t gotten much from it this year? Maybe it doesn’t matter since they are obviously coached to act like the damn ball is a grenade and stay away from it?

It’s 5 in the morning here, so I wasn’t 🤔 it all the way through at this point. I want someone more dynamic back there - Dylan Wright maybe? They’re not overusing have at WR and he has elite athleticism and deserves more touches.
We are using Brock because he catches the ball. He had a return of 18 yards. He let a few bounce around but they were short kicks that took Illinois bounce. Hard to see on tv if those were kicks he should have run up on to fair catch or return.

We are using Brock because he catches the ball. He had a return of 18 yards. He let a few bounce around but they were short kicks that took Illinois bounce. Hard to see on tv if those were kicks he should have run up on to fair catch or return.
I don’t think he’s the only one Zach who can catch a punt on the roster- geez I hope not.
He has let many hit the turf that could have been caught and when your team is struggling, catching the majority of them is the minimum required - sets up the O for easier scores and helps with D field position while a great return can change the MO of the whole game. I’ll bet he has let more hot the turf than he’s caught this year - non elite as it gets.

Brew did most everything wrong, but Troy Stoudemire set the NCAA record for kick return yardage and still holds it- he caught everything and ran like a bat out of heck - in other words a dynamic playmaker. Bucky could have been doing this since game 1 when we had a full boat if RBs. If he’s the best returner we can muster we aren’t a championship level real yet- not a personal attack, just my 2 cents and a hangover if morose on the day after.

Top Bottom