Fleck seems unusually quiet

TNGophfan

Reaction score
Does PJ seem unusually quiet to you. Not much on Twitter, pretty subdued on season startup, don't see him all over BTN. New PJ or does he know he's got a pretty good team and keeping it under wraps?

Last edited:

I thought so too, but probably just focusing on winning and preparing for Michigan. It is “go time” now, time to focus. When RB13 is officially reinstated, I’m sure we’ll hear from our coach.

PJ has been unusually quiet, it seems to me, since the pandemic messed up everything for everybody. It does seem odd. He spoke out about George Floyd and did his part to keep recruits, players, families and fans calm.
I think some of it is the distancing of the media to zoom calls only pretty much.
I'd like to see him ramp up the rhetoric! It mostly fires me up, but an odd comment here or his hyperbole there gives me something to nitpick. ;) :geek:

PJ has been unusually quiet, it seems to me, since the pandemic messed up everything for everybody. It does seem odd. He spoke out about George Floyd and did his part to keep recruits, players, families and fans calm.
I think some of it is the distancing of the media to zoom calls only pretty much.
I'd like to see him ramp up the rhetoric! It mostly fires me up, but an odd comment here or his hyperbole there gives me something to nitpick. ;) :geek:

I think the part in bold is the key part. Media just doesn't have the same level of access right now to teams and coaches all over the country. You don't have the big press conferences and everything has to be much more scheduled. I am sure it will ramp up some as we get closer to the season starting.

PJ realizes in a divided world, anything he was going to say would fire up 1/2 the people and piss off the other half of the people. I think his focus is on what he can control and that’s being there for his players and now that we have a season again it’s preparing for Michigan.

Reason #4,932,165 that makes me so happy he’s our coach!!

PJ realizes in a divided world, anything he was going to say would fire up 1/2 the people and piss off the other half of the people. I think his focus is on what he can control and that’s being there for his players and now that we have a season again it’s preparing for Michigan.

Reason #4,932,165 that makes me so happy he’s our coach!!
I’d imagine once the season is actually under way you’ll see a man with all of the energy we’ve come to expect!

Fleck did his weekly podcast show with Gaard and Grim last Friday. Not sure if available through other channels as I just listen to the podcast. He seemed excited not only for the season to start, but to have some definitive answers. When will the season start, what will it look like etc. I’d post a link to it, but that’s above my abilities

I thought he was pretty vocal about the COVID and things revolving around the protests.

He had some pretty high exposure after B1G cancelled the season and then restarted ....

Call me crazy but I don't think he has been all that quiet.

I think that he has been generally cautious around the shutdown topic so as not to break ranks with his AD and President. That doesn't mean he hasn't been vocal internally, but has allowed the U to take a unified position publicly. I much prefer that to the situation in Michigan or Nebraska.

I think he has been around quite a bit. Even did two pizza commercials.

I think that he has been generally cautious around the shutdown topic so as not to break ranks with his AD and President. That doesn't mean he hasn't been vocal internally, but has allowed the U to take a unified position publicly. I much prefer that to the situation in Michigan or Nebraska.

Yeah in his last interview PJ talked about how he has been in regular contact with the AD and President (who apparently ahs been at practices).

PJ clearly is pretty self aware / capable of understanding that his words have impact beyond just expressing "I want this.". But just because he's not throwing a fit doesn't mean he's quiet. He has been pretty vocal about wanting to play & recognizing the situation and dealing with it.

PJ's mantra is as much about responding to situations positively, so no surprise he hasn't gone the pouting route.

I agree, I thought that PJ would have had more to say about the Big Ten season being cancelled, he was fairly quiet during that time.

I can only imagine PJ has spent many hours on zoom calls with his players and checking on them constantly. My guess is that he has been overly vocal and in touch with his team. I have no doubt that his players are very comfortable with their coaches visibility and awareness through these weird ass times.

Even the Energizer bunny rabbit needs a rest. Fleck is recharging his batteries, planning for Michigan, coming up with motivational tools for his players all the while working hard in a different way.

I agree, I thought that PJ would have had more to say about the Big Ten season being cancelled, he was fairly quiet during that time.
He's politically savvy, and I think saw that voicing an opinion that wasn't in line with the administration would be counter-productive or if he agreed with the cancellation just re-stating what the administration/B1G had already said was duplicative.

He's politically savvy, and I think saw that voicing an opinion that wasn't in line with the administration would be counter-productive or if he agreed with the cancellation just re-stating what the administration/B1G had already said was duplicative.

Up until 2020, that's pretty much been the status quo in B1G land.

Really everyone toed the line ultra solidly. Little game related trash talk with some teams, but everyone knew where the line was and was careful.

2020 and it all goes sideways.

I think PJ is sticking to what he does best, which is coaching football. If the team is doing well, then there's no reason to speak out publicly on these issues, which could end up causing some unnecessary tension within the team.

Of course, he will probably be forced to speak about this other stuff when the media starts doing more interviews, because some in the media just can't help themselves. It would be nice for the majority of sports fans if the questions and answers were all related to the particular sport, but that's not the world in which we live.

Right on command... PJ is live on a zoom teleconference right now - standing at a podium, taking media questions. Sounds as upbeat and engaged as ever.

I'm sure he's busy counseling his neighbor, Josh Donaldson on game ejections.

Fleck just did an interview on ESPN with Brock Huard, I only caughtt the summation but it sounded like PJ, touted the WR U concept.

Top Bottom