Fleck Retains Staff for 2021

Looks like Marky has some work to do to move up in compensation......

Still don't get why Rob Wenger still is on the staff. What has he done to earn this?

2020 was a Covid & injury ridden season. They've made efforts to shore up the special teams. I hope that Michael Lantz is back from his (back?) injury. Mark Crawford was also out. I am still not happy with the Maryland and Wiscy OT loses. We have some serious competition.

He deserves a pass IMHO.

Per his bio:
"Minnesota's special teams have seen success under Wenger. The Gophers ranked second in the nation in punt return defense in 2018 (1.11) and 2019 (0.17) and led the nation in 2018 in punt returns with an average of 22.25."

2020 was a Covid & injury ridden season. They've made efforts to shore up the special teams. I hope that Michael Lantz is back from his (back?) injury. Mark Crawford was also out. I am still not happy with the Maryland and Wiscy OT loses. We have some serious competition.

He deserves a pass IMHO.

Per his bio:
"Minnesota's special teams have seen success under Wenger. The Gophers ranked second in the nation in punt return defense in 2018 (1.11) and 2019 (0.17) and led the nation in 2018 in punt returns with an average of 22.25."
The punt return yardage stat is very misleading. When you can't punt it 40 yards you sure better not let them return it.

The Vikings fired the special teams coach that deals with extra points and field goals. Is that on him or the kicker?

I'm personally fine with the coaches we have. 2020 hopefully will be the strangest year I will ever have to witness in my lifetime.

Nice I love continuity and think that it helps the players to have the same coach IMO for as long as possible.

Continuity in coaches is almost always a good thing for the players. That said, as long as coaches are leaving for bigger and better opportunities it shouldn't be viewed as a negative. Gets a little dicier when you see guys making lateral moves.

Having the whole staff back in tact is nice when you have a tough game like Ohio State looming to start the year. Coaches don't have to waste time getting used to each other or learning a new system.

Continuity in coaches is almost always a good thing for the players. That said, as long as coaches are leaving for bigger and better opportunities it shouldn't be viewed as a negative. Gets a little dicier when you see guys making lateral moves.

Having the whole staff back in tact is nice when you have a tough game like Ohio State looming to start the year. Coaches don't have to waste time getting used to each other or learning a new system.

Great points and can you imagine how great it will feel to beat them!!

Special teams coaches should have been fired after the season opener. Game was live in prime time and we come out and shank the opening kickoff. And every kick/punt that followed.

Will help us next season and the returning O-linemen should push Mo to the Heisman.
I like the optimism. I think we would need to be a top 25 team for him to get serious consideration. I do think he and our online are capable of Heisman numbers, but it isn't often lately a RB wins it.

Special teams coaches should have been fired after the season opener. Game was live in prime time and we come out and shank the opening kickoff. And every kick/punt that followed.
Also basically all our kickers were out due to COVID protocol? Like I agree that the special teams did not do well this season, but if there was any game where the kicking shouldn't be blamed on the Special Teams coach it should be that one...

Also basically all our kickers were out due to COVID protocol? Like I agree that the special teams did not do well this season, but if there was any game where the kicking shouldn't be blamed on the Special Teams coach it should be that one...

Yeah, I agree our special teams needs to get better across the board, but by all accounts our kicker depth was ravaged in 2020 by COVID. So not sure it is fair to hold Wenger accountable for what happened in our kicking game last year. Looks like he is going to have a decent stable of kickers to work with in 2021. Hopefully we will see some improvement in all of our special teams units. The coaches know this is an area where we have come up short and based on how active they have been in going after kickers it seems they are very motivated to address it.

Whatever we do, we shouldn't let our kickers anywhere near the Vikings practice facility.

Still don't get why Rob Wenger still is on the staff. What has he done to earn this?
Every time the any of the special teams steps on the field I fear something terrible is going to happen.

Top Bottom