Fleck on Taylor: “He’s really close (to) being out there, but I don’t make those decisions"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Greder:

“He’s really close (to) being out there, but I don’t make those decisions,” head coach P.J. Fleck said. “I support (our medical staff) 100 percent. I don’t make (the decision). (We) have a whole medical staff that makes those things. I know he was disappointed and he really wants to go, but our medical staff always has our players’ best interest at heart, and they are going to make those decisions. But he will be ready very soon.”

Go Gophers!!

I'm all for him sitting out Rhode Island if he is not 100% but hopefully he can get out there by week 3 to get some reps before Iowa when we are going to need him.

If he doesn't play at all, Fleck can't "run him into the ground". So that's a good thing, right?

I guess I don't care at this point. Until the playcalling changes, we could have Bo Jackson back there and we'll still generate no more than 200 total yards of offense

Speaking of Fleck how ridiculous was his statement we wished we could have played another 60. Guess what coach, you already stunk up 60.

P.J.'s entire act is wearing very, very thin.

Master of the non-answer. With platitudes thrown in as condiments.

I guess I don't care at this point. Until the playcalling changes, we could have Bo Jackson back there and we'll still generate no more than 200 total yards of offense
In 3 of the 6 games Taylor played in last year he crossed or nearly crossed the 200 yard threshold by himself so he might make a little bit of a difference to our offense. Kid is special.

They must have a rehab timeline/ETA but reinjury is always going to be possible. Why rush it when MN still has decent to good backs to carry the load. They will need him down the stretch as the others get banged up.

Fleck is going to be Fleck. I should learn to live with it, but it still rankles me.

If he's not going to provide any real information, then just don't say anything.

if someone asks about Taylor, just say "he'll play when he's cleared by the medical staff. beyond that, I have no comment."

don't tell us he's "really close." It means nothing. who defines what "really close" means?

beyond that - as long as Taylor is a Gopher, I fear that fans will just have to accept that he's only going to be available about half the time. they supposedly did all this extra work in the off-season to try and prevent injury - and he gets injured in practice running a pass route.

I do hope that we get to see Bangura and Mangham this week - just to see what they've got. assuming they're healthy and they know the offense, give them each some snaps.

In 3 of the 6 games Taylor played in last year he crossed or nearly crossed the 200 yard threshold by himself so he might make a little bit of a difference to our offense. Kid is special.
We also generated almost 250 yards last game, so I’d envision we’ll probably gain a few more against RI

I think a few comments were made in separate threads that all of the teams he racked up yardage against were basically the little sisters of the poor and he did nothing against Iowa. Not knocking Taylor because putting up big yardage in college games is relevant and I love our guys on the field, but my sentiment still stands. Without the threat of a deep passing game we do nothing against teams who matter, regardless of who's in the backfield.

I think a few comments were made in separate threads that all of the teams he racked up yardage against were basically the little sisters of the poor and he did nothing against Iowa.

The comments you mentioned are oversimplified and therefore misleading.

First of all, he really only played in 5 games last season and one of those was the bowl game against a MAC opponent. I don't count the opener against Nebraska because he had only one carry. In those 5 games, 3 were against power conference teams. He had 138 yards against UNC (6.3 per carry) and 198 yards against Northwestern (6.4 yards per carry).

He had only 59 yards against Iowa (3.7 per carry) but he had only 16 carries. Other players had 27 carries in that game. In any event, we know that Iowa is always a particularly elite defensive team.

The comments you mentioned are oversimplified and therefore misleading.

First of all, he really only played in 5 games last season and one of those was the bowl game against a MAC opponent. I don't count the opener against Nebraska because he had only one carry. In those 5 games, 3 were against power conference teams. He had 138 yards against UNC (6.3 per carry) and 198 yards against Northwestern (6.4 yards per carry).

He had only 59 yards against Iowa (3.7 per carry) but he had only 16 carries. Other players had 27 carries in that game. In any event, we know that Iowa is always a particularly elite defensive team.
I feel like you contextualized my comments and still validated my point.

I'm not trying to get into the weeds with this, the existing offensive scheme hurts our running game no matter who is in the backfield. Keep your foot on the opponent's throat, quit with this weak ass 'sit on the ball and have six snaps the entire third quarter' crap.

Fleck is going to be Fleck. I should learn to live with it, but it still rankles me.

If he's not going to provide any real information, then just don't say anything.

if someone asks about Taylor, just say "he'll play when he's cleared by the medical staff. beyond that, I have no comment."

don't tell us he's "really close." It means nothing. who defines what "really close" means?

beyond that - as long as Taylor is a Gopher, I fear that fans will just have to accept that he's only going to be available about half the time. they supposedly did all this extra work in the off-season to try and prevent injury - and he gets injured in practice running a pass route.

I do hope that we get to see Bangura and Mangham this week - just to see what they've got. assuming they're healthy and they know the offense, give them each some snaps.
Yes, I am affraid that you may very well be correct. Perhaps it's a Thomas Tapeh type of situation. Mr. Tapeh lived for conditioning. What happened, He had back to back "freakish" injuries. After that, he was pretty much injury free. No matter how much conditioning, a running back is vulnerable to injuries.

At this point, I would just expect DT to not play on any given week, and when/if he does, it would be a nice surprise.

Wouldn't it just be easier for you to not hang on every last word from PJ? Seems to get you really worked up. Every Gopher football coach I can remember spoke similar BS.

i have lowered my expectations and will just consider any game he plays in as a bonus going forward. sucks as a fan, sucks more for him, but it is what it is

Obviously you never played Tecmo Bowl!
Bo Jackson was unstoppable!

I don't understand why folks expect detailed injury insights and depth charts and all the plans from Fleck during the week.

It's a competition, not a TV show, and even if it was a TV show the writers would still make you wait for the show for all the plot details and surprises.

It's about as good of an idea as putting Project 2025 on the internet was.

Top Bottom