Five key position battles as Gophers open preseason camp -- and the favorites to win them.

the article said the Gophers were down to 3 scholarship CB's in Spring practice. I assume that is before transfers and before incoming FR.

after checking the roster and the Ryan Burns depth chart - that appears to be accurate. Looks like the Gophs added 4 transfers and 1 true FR at CB or Nickle and all of them are showing up in the 2-deeps (or 3-deeps).

I realize the portal works both ways - but without the portal, the Gophs could have been in a real sticky situation at CB.

I realize the portal works both ways - but without the portal, the Gophs could have been in a real sticky situation at CB.
The counter to that is that without the portal they also would not have lost some of the depth they did in the defensive backfield.

All in all though the portal has been a net positive for the Gophers in my opinion. We have had some tough loses to the portal but have brought in a lot of quality players to offset those loses and to fill other holes.

Will be interesting to see what the new faces bring to the 2023 squad.

Top Bottom