Fisch rumor??

My mistake on that point. I forgot that he was fired before coming here. But the point still remains - he must've viewed being the OC here as a better job than a WR coach in the NFL, or he would've looked harder for one of those jobs. I just don't see him going back to the NFL as a position coach.

Kyle Shanahan already has an OC job with Houston. He won't be joining Dad in Washington unless Kubiak gets fired or they manage to make it a 'promotion' of some sort. If Kubiak gets fired, there's a decent chance Kubiak will be the OC in Washington.

This is incorrect. When Shanahan is hired (presumably by Washington), Kyle WILL be his offensive coordinator, and Bob Slowik his defensive coordinator. There are no other candidates for either position. You can write that down in ink.

My mistake on that point. I forgot that he was fired before coming here. But the point still remains - he must've viewed being the OC here as a better job than a WR coach in the NFL, or he would've looked harder for one of those jobs. I just don't see him going back to the NFL as a position coach.

This is incorrect. When Shanahan is hired (presumably by Washington), Kyle WILL be his offensive coordinator, and Bob Slowik his defensive coordinator. There are no other candidates for either position. You can write that down in ink.

Assistants aren't allowed to make lateral moves, on what do you base this claim? Certainly Kyle S and Slowik are logical candidates for those jobs, but I'd be willing to bet you bat no better then .500 on that prediction. If Kubiak is fired, there's a chance he would consider the job, and no doubt there's no one Mike would rather have then him. If Kubiak is not fired, Jeremy Bates would be a candidate. On defense, while there's a rumor that Shanahan's refusal to fire Slowik led to his firing, there's no denying how bad Denver's defense was in 2008. There's also no denying that the 'Skins defense this year is pretty good. He has to at least consider keeping the current defensive cooridinator in place. I doubt anything is written in ink.

Assistants aren't allowed to make lateral moves

Where in the world did you ever hear such a thing? Link?

"We all know that's part of football and as far as Kyle or any coach I have, I want what's best for them. I think we've all known that if Mike gets back in the business, which it looks like he will, that his son coaching for him someday is very important to him."

- Gary Kubiak

Why would he say that if "assistants aren't allowed to make lateral moves"?

Assistants aren't allowed to make lateral moves, on what do you base this claim?

I think that is improperly stated. I don't know the status of his current contract, but I believe that, if a coach is under conract for next year, the team employing him is not required to let him out of that contract to make a lateral move, but is required to do so for a promotion. That's why some coaches get hired as "Assistant Head Coach, Defense" or some such title. Also, as implied by Kubiak above, isn't it likely that his current employer would allow him to go coach with his father, even if they were not required to do so?

I think that is improperly stated. I don't know the status of his current contract, but I believe that, if a coach is under conract for next year, the team employing him is not required to let him out of that contract to make a lateral move, but is required to do so for a promotion. That's why some coaches get hired as "Assistant Head Coach, Defense" or some such title. Also, as implied by Kubiak above, isn't it likely that his current employer would allow him to go coach with his father, even if they were not required to do so?

It is generally thought to be in bad form to hold an assistant when there is an offer for him that is obviously better for him. It's the old what goes around comes around thing.

In the NFL, you can't hire assitants away from other teams if it's a lateral move. As you suggest teams sometimes offer them 'assistant head coach' tags to get around it, or thier current teams offer them such tags to keep them happy. I'm not sure if this rule is invalidated if Houston simply says "OK, you can go." That may be the case, and if so, I wouldn't be surprised if they allow him to leave. Kubiak and Shanahan are very close which is why his kid is there in the first place.

Where in the world did you ever hear such a thing? Link?

"We all know that's part of football and as far as Kyle or any coach I have, I want what's best for them. I think we've all known that if Mike gets back in the business, which it looks like he will, that his son coaching for him someday is very important to him."

- Gary Kubiak

Why would he say that if "assistants aren't allowed to make lateral moves"?

I don't have a link off-hand, but it's long been an NFL rule. 2nd Degree expalined it well. As mentioned you could be right that Houston would simply allow him to leave, though I'm not sure if it's a simple as that, or if Washington would have to offer him an asssistant HC tag to comply with this rule.

One thing that could keep Fisch away from an NFL job is the potential lockout that could occur in a couple years. The college game never has labor stoppage :)

Good god no more coordinator turnover please!

This is a very good reason to appreciate Cosgrove. Besides doing a good job this year, he lives in Wisconsin and isn't going anywhere!

Relax, Brewster can't make a move on the OC, he got reprimanded for letting Dunbar go after being told not to do it. The U doesn't have the payroll to cover the check anyway.

This would be a blessng, the hobit wouldn't be ruining our qb anymore. HERE'S TO MIKE GETTING THE REDSKINS JOB!!!!!

Relax, Brewster can't make a move on the OC, he got reprimanded for letting Dunbar go after being told not to do it. The U doesn't have the payroll to cover the check anyway.

What in the world does that have to do with the potential for Fisch leaving for a different job?

In the NFL, you can't hire assitants away from other teams if it's a lateral move. As you suggest teams sometimes offer them 'assistant head coach' tags to get around it, or thier current teams offer them such tags to keep them happy. I'm not sure if this rule is invalidated if Houston simply says "OK, you can go." That may be the case, and if so, I wouldn't be surprised if they allow him to leave. Kubiak and Shanahan are very close which is why his kid is there in the first place.

Since we're bumping, maybe this will make you feel better dpdoll...

Top Bottom