Fire Maturi

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
It is time for Maturi to go. This football team is his mess, not Brewster's. Brewster is doing the best he can. Brewster's only sin is being able to sell himself into a job he can't handle.

Here is the truth: nobody wanted Brewster at the U except Maturi. This is on him and he knew from the start that if it didn't work out, that it was his problem.

And before you say the words "Tubby Smith", here is some more truth for you: Tubby's rep called the U first, not the other way around. He fell into Maturi's lap like a bolt of lightning from the heavens.

Isn't Gopher athletics overall pretty successful right now? Why would you fire the AD now? Just cause the football team isn't as great as we want it doesn't mean you fire the AD.

And I'm pretty sure the U made an inquiry about Tubby before his reps contacted the U.

we need to throw bruinicks (sp? pls forgive) to the wolves! it all starts at the top, people!

Yeah, because getting a $300M on campus stadium built after spending decades in a dump is a pretty small accomplishment. If all he was able to do in his time as AD was this then I would call him successful. I hope this thread is a joke. If not then you are an idiot.

Just cause the football team isn't as great as we want it doesn't mean you fire the AD.

Football brings in waaaay more revenue than basketball. I've never liked Maturi. Too much of a lightweight people-pleaser. Too much "We're proud of all our teams at the university" BS.

Maybe some day the university will get serious about revenue sports...

Good lord. Minnesota is not a 'football school'. This isn't the university of Alabama. Sure it's important, but frankly winning in men's basketball and hockey is equally if not more important. I do hope that Matui won't let Brewster linger just because he was his first 'key' hire.

Good lord. Minnesota is not a 'football school'.

Not now it isn't. Why is that?

frankly winning in men's basketball and hockey is equally if not more important.

Why? Who decides that? Are you saying the fans care more about basketball and hockey than football? I'm not saying I disagree or agree, I'm just curious where you're basing that.

we need to throw bruinicks (sp? pls forgive) to the wolves! it all starts at the top, people!

Since the U is funded by the state, they need to fire Pawlenty he's the Govenor, no wait, Obama is the president fire him!!! ((Wonders how far this thread will go.))

Let's start at the bottom, and fire 98% of the bloggers.

Football brings in waaaay more revenue than basketball. I've never liked Maturi. Too much of a lightweight people-pleaser. Too much "We're proud of all our teams at the university" BS.

Maybe some day the university will get serious about revenue sports...

You have either wittingly or unwittingly hit the nail on the head. Maturi is a total lightweight.

Here's another one group: I understand Bo Pellini refused a second interview here. In his first interview, he apparently sat around with a bunch of random people and was not asked a single question about football. That is a major league problem and a symptom of a disease called, "we don't care about having a major football program here."

You have either wittingly or unwittingly hit the nail on the head. Maturi is a total lightweight.

Here's another one group: Bo Pellini refused a second interview here. In his first interview, he apparently sat around with a bunch of random people and was not asked a single question about football. That is a major league problem and a symptom of a disease called, "we don't care about having a major football program here."

I'm with you all the way. I could complain, whine and preech about it all day but i'll save the soapbox. Like I said, maybe some day this university will get serious about revenue sports.

It is time for Maturi to go. This football team is his mess, not Brewster's. Brewster is doing the best he can. Brewster's only sin is being able to sell himself into a job he can't handle.

Here is the truth: nobody wanted Brewster at the U except Maturi. This is on him and he knew from the start that if it didn't work out, that it was his problem.

And before you say the words "Tubby Smith", here is some more truth for you: Tubby's rep called the U first, not the other way around. He fell into Maturi's lap like a bolt of lightning from the heavens.

Is this a joke or what. U made an inquiry about Tubby before his reps contacted the U. what you said about Tubby is not true at all and is a flat our lie. it was the U that made an inquiry about Tubby before his reps contacted the U.

Here's another one group: I understand Bo Pellini refused a second interview here. In his first interview, he apparently sat around with a bunch of random people and was not asked a single question about football. That is a major league problem and a symptom of a disease called, "we don't care about having a major football program here."

I just hooked up with 6 playboy playmates at the same time. I have no pictures, I don't even know their name. But it happened because I said so.

Do you have any link or proof of this? Or did someone random just tell you they heard that?

Is this a joke or what. U made an inquiry about Tubby before his reps contacted the U. what you said about Tubby is not true at all and is a flat our lie. it was the U that made an inquiry about Tubby before his reps contacted the U.

I tell you what, why don't you tell me why you think this is a lie. Then I'll balance your version of events with what I was told elsewhere. I would love for this to be a lie.

Isn't Gopher athletics overall pretty successful right now? Why would you fire the AD now? Just cause the football team isn't as great as we want it doesn't mean you fire the AD.

We need to ditch this whole overall athletic dept success deal that we brag up, its nice to use as ammo against Badgers and Hawkeyes, but lets get serious, we are judged on a national level by football and basketball.

I love Brew, I think the guy loves our University and works his rear off to get it to where we all want to be, but Handsome hit the nail on the head, its not his fault the AD hired him. I'm still going to give him his time; however, it is becoming more and more apparent that he probably wasn't the best choice.

Maturi is safe...

Regardless of the way the Tubby Smith hiring played out the fact still remains that Maturi hired him. As long as the cagers improve and the athletic program simply breaks even, Maturi won't be sent packing.

Someone nailed it earlier in the thread. The Administration really only pays lipservice to the FB program. They'll hang their hats on Tubby, the hockey program (mens or womens), and other non-major sports to say they want athletic success. Bruinink's dream of riding his horse in the Rose Bowl Parade may never be fulfilled. I feel for him...

Maturi isn't a good AD. No way to excuse the Mason firing right after a contract extension. He LUCKED into the Tubby situation and hired a crappy football coach. Yay!

Not much of an AD at all.

I understand Bo Pellini refused a second interview here. In his first interview, he apparently sat around with a bunch of random people and was not asked a single question about football. That is a major league problem and a symptom of a disease called, "we don't care about having a major football program here."
I'm surprised you haven't blamed Maturi for the missed call to John Wooden. Or that we didn't retain Bud Wilkinson.

BTW, I heard that Tony Dungie was all prepared to sign a package deal along with Flip Saunders when they both decided that they didn't like Joel's Iron Range accent. Uff da, eh?

Joel M hired exactly the guy he wanted...

a terrific recruiter at a bargain D1 price. JM rolled the dice on player development/coaching ability. EOS

a terrific recruiter at a bargain D1 price. JM rolled the dice on player development/coaching ability. EOS

For conversation purposes only, "Terrific recruiter" as demonstrated during his time here by? Again for conversation purposes only I'd argue the rolling of the dice side of the equation has been rather apparent thus far...

"Terrific recruiter" is used within the context...

of what has been documented on this board repeatedly by GH recruiting gurus...an absolutely woeful recruiting effort by previous coaching regimes relative to the Gs BT opponents vs TB's accomplishments in the past two years.

Top Bottom