Findlay Prep Plays On ESPN Tomorrow at 6:00

Blizzard

Reaction score
Cory Joseph at 6:00 tomorrow on ESPN. Followed by Harrison Barnes with his Ames, Iowa team.

just bringing this thread closer to the top. A little news other than royce is good

Cory looks very good...I think he'd be a starter from day one...

Cory Joseph

First time to see him .... taller than Devoe, probably a true 6'4 player.. Stronger with the ball than his brother. A true point, looks to pass first, and an excellent passer from seeing him during this one game. Goes either way, dribbles with both hands very well. Quick defender and very long....he'll be an asset to whatever team he decides to play for, as he should be rated this highly.

Does anyone know if Tubby or any other Gopher coaches were in attendance tonight?

I definitely liked what I saw out of Cory. Would like to have seen him shoot the ball more to get an idea of his shooting touch. But it's hard to complain about a point guard being pass-first. :) The announcer was sure raving about him.

On a side note, Texas recruit Tristan Thompson sure was a black hole in the paint. Did he even pass the ball once after getting it down low? Double-team or not, he was going to shoot.

him and royce= big ten champions ship and a 2 seed. Instead we get to think what if..........

him and royce= big ten champions ship and a 2 seed. Instead we get to think what if..........

Not really. You seem to forget OSU has the #2 player in the country and #1 class coming in next year. Why again would Royce White and CJ make us better than them?

Not really. You seem to forget OSU has the #2 player in the country and #1 class coming in next year. Why again would Royce White and CJ make us better than them?

If games were played on paper, you'd be absolutely correct. However, Thad Matta is the rich man's Tim Brewster. He can recruit, but he can't coach. I'll take a Tubby team with good recruits over a Matta team with great recruits any day of the week.

I definitely liked what I saw out of Cory. Would like to have seen him shoot the ball more to get an idea of his shooting touch. But it's hard to complain about a point guard being pass-first. :) The announcer was sure raving about him.

On a side note, Texas recruit Tristan Thompson sure was a black hole in the paint. Did he even pass the ball once after getting it down low? Double-team or not, he was going to shoot.
I saw the first three quarters and if I hadn't known he was a 5-star player I wouldn't have paid much attention to him ... just another solid player on the floor that did little to catch my eye.

How did he play in the final quarter?

I saw the first three quarters and if I hadn't known he was a 5-star player I wouldn't have paid much attention to him ... just another solid player on the floor that did little to catch my eye.

How did he play in the final quarter?
I also watched more of the first half than I did of the second. But with Findlay down by one, Cory did drive into the lane, shake his defender, and hit a shot from the free throw with about 6 seconds(?) to go. (Only to have Thompson foul Sullinger when they are leading by one.)

I think the announcer said that Cory usually takes and makes the big shots for Findlay when the game is on the line.

Clearly, he didn't look like a one-and-done type player. Regardless of whether or not he is worthy of his 5-star ranking, I still think he'd be a very good player to pick up.

I don't think there is any way he would start over Al Nolen or any other incumbent, experienced point guard. Just my humble opinion. :)

If games were played on paper, you'd be absolutely correct. However, Thad Matta is the rich man's Tim Brewster. He can recruit, but he can't coach. I'll take a Tubby team with good recruits over a Matta team with great recruits any day of the week.

Didn't a Matta-coached OSU team with great recruits make the national title game in 2007 and go 35-4? You wouldn't want that any day of the week? It could happen again next year!

Matta had to rely on mostly first and second-year players in '08 and '09 both (5 of the 7-man rotation in '08 were in that category, and last year after Lighty got hurt everyone was in that 1st or 2nd year category). Why don't you give him a chance to show what he can do with players he's been able to coach for a few years before making up your mind? Matta also coached a team with no "great" recruits to a Big Ten title and #2 seed in '06 and Xavier to the Elite 8 in '04. In all fairness, he hasn't done a good job of developing depth on this team, and a lot of it falls on him because he's either getting recruits that aren't content at being role players who leave after a year (or less!) or guys who aren't good enough to play for a top-25 type team, and he's got a team with a very thin bench now because of that, and of course the five 1 & dones the past three years.

Top Bottom