Financial aspect of transferring

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
I asked this question in the midst of a transfer question about Combs but it was kind of buried in another topic that sprouted up. So I'll ask again in a new thread. Do most these kids that leave school and go to another school pretty much have a scholarship in hand?

My daughter's estimated bill at her college for books, room & board is around $18,000. I would not be too happy as a parent of one of these guys if they were giving up this type of money.

Completely agree.

Playing D1 football is a priviledge. And not just for the chance to play football on a big stage.

The education at a Big Ten school is worth a ton of $$....now and into their professional careers outside of football.

GM

Sometimes kids don't realize the value of their scholarships.

Sometimes kids don't realize the value of their scholarships.

I was watching the Big 10 Football tour show when they were at Northwestern and Coach Fitzgerald made a comment during one of the drills along the lines of "$48,000 a year boys. Make sure you earn it!"

At least at Northwestern, they know what they are getting.

Wow. Didn't realize it was that much to go there.

But those kids will make that money easily over their entire careers probably

crazy

That's what I was thinking ... it is just crazy to give up a scholarship in order to play somewhere else if you don't have it paid for. It is such a wonderful opportunity for a kid to do something with his life without being in debt for years and years.

I know maybe some of them think they have a chance at a pro football career if given a chance so maybe they think they are making a career move. However, we know that the percentage of kids that make it to the NFL is very low. So their chances of a career are best served by taking the scholarship and working hard in the classroom.

My daughter's estimated bill at her college for books, room & board is around $18,000. I would not be too happy as a parent of one of these guys if they were giving up this type of money.
The majority of kids transfer to be closer to home.

He's not giving up that. He's transferring to another school and will get his schooling paid for at his new school. In fact, he's getting an extra year paid for as he'll have to sit out a year before he can play.

Talk to a D-1 athlete. Ask them why players transfer. The majority transfer because the coach has decided they will never be good enough to play and let them know that. A portion of D-1 coaches 'make" players voluntarily transfer by giving them a hard time. I am firends with a former B-12 soccer player who lasted only a year. Once the coach realized he wasn't good enough (and to be fair a bit of a troublemaker), they started not informing him of mandatory meetings and then meting out punshment for missing the meetings. He pretty quickly got the message.

PS I may be cynical but I can't believe how the majority of fans of BCS football and basketball programs talk up the value of a scholarship/education to the players. I hope it is true but I suspect the majority of scholarship athletes have little interest in school unless sports are a part of the mix.

players/coaches

I had a guy on my dorm floor many years ago when I was in college. He was a big shot player from Nebraska but he didn't pan out on the college level. The coaches wanted him to give up his scholarship but he refused. He told me he would hold down the bench but he wasn't giving up his scholarship. A lot like that old movie with Robby Benson except this guy didn't turn out to be a star at the end of the movie.

Top Bottom