Finally, we'll see less flops under the basket

It's a good start, no doubt, but what about the flopping 20 feet from the basket. The p*ssy basketball that is currently coached, executed, and rewarded by referees drives me crazy.

Another bit of great news in the article is they may FINALLY enforce the 3 second rule. College big men have been allowed to camp out for entire possessions, let alone worrying about a three second count. Referees weren't even aware of it, at time. I was screaming during the Texas game, as Pittman would set up shop and never leave the lane.

Good decision by the rules committee. Also like that the opposing coach can pick who shoots the FTs if a guy gets hurt.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=546606

I hate the rule. What is good defense (being in front of a player with your feet set) everywhere else on the court should be good defense near the basket.

The author's argument is flawed. Has he ever heard of a reverse lay up? Believe it or not but players actually run from one side of the basket to shoot on the other. Not to mention that there isn't a rule that says a player with the ball has to be trying to shoot it. A ball handler can actually dribble through the lane and go from one side of the court to the other without attempting a shot.

While there is no arc on the floor, if they use the same area that the NBA uses that extends beyond "underneath the basket."

The author of this is guilty of bad logic.

As best I know, there has NEVER been an "understanding" about not calling charges directly under the basket. Maybe in his mind, and maybe in some ref circles that are way above my pay grade, but not in anything I've been involved with.

I can also tell that this writer has never been the lead official (the one on the baseline) and had a split-second to decide a block/charge call.

As an official, I can only speak for myself, but I have no hesitation ringing a guy up under the basket if he blows right through the defender. Also, I do NOT tolerate flopping. If I see it, I warn the players to stay up. Sometimes it takes a while for them to get the idea., but the next time it happens, when I call the flopper for blocking and warn that the next flop is an unsportsmanlike conduct T, that takes care of it the problem.

Also like that the opposing coach can pick who shoots the FTs if a guy gets hurt.

I don't like that rule. Now instead of just fouling to stop the clock at the end of the game, the player can foul so hard as to knock the guy out of the game and get a bad free throw shooter.

I really don't think it will happen all that often, but I don't like any rule that creates an incentive to injure someone.

Also like that the opposing coach can pick who shoots the FTs if a guy gets hurt.

I don't like that rule. Now instead of just fouling to stop the clock at the end of the game, the player can foul so hard as to knock the guy out of the game and get a bad free throw shooter.

I really don't think it will happen all that often, but I don't like any rule that creates an incentive to injure someone.
That's something I thought about too. Hopefully an intentional foul is called to nullify that situation. BTW, I'd like to see a lot more intentional fouls called ... like most late game situational fouls to stop the clock. Are not these intentional?

I've written before that rules should be changed to limit the times fouling becomes a strategic advantage.

I think that we'll see more flagrant fouls called if teams are fouling hard enough to injure someone and take them out of the game. This is where the NBA has it right. If its called a flagrant the team who got fouled gets to pick who shoots the free throw and the injured player can come back if he can. If its not a flagrant then the opposing coach gets to pick. This prevents teams from wanting to commit too hard of a foul since it could be called flagrant then their coach gets to pick the 90% free throw shooter on the bench.

It's a nice start. Now we just need a way to eliminate, or severely decrease flopping. Refs too often reward an obvious flop.

What ever happened to ...

It's a nice start. Now we just need a way to eliminate, or severely decrease flopping. Refs too often reward an obvious flop.
Wasn't there a rule where flagrant floppers could get a technical? I think that, way back, I saw it called once.

Top Bottom