Final Rivals 150 Rankings Unveiled

Reaction score
Rivals Final 150 Rankings - 2010

Selby #1?.... OK.

At first glance.. looks like
+ one incoming Gopher (Mo Walker at #123)
+ zero kids from Minnesota
+ three Marquette kids (Vander Blue #24, Jamail Jones #52, Reggie Smith #112)... [JUCO POY Jae Crowder not eligible for the list]
+ Cory Joseph up to #8... still behind Irving and Knight

Not good for the home team. It looked bad in July when we weren't on the radar of many top players. It made sense to me at the time because we appeared to be looking for a top PG and depth to play behind the last two classes. The rest is history, losing top two recruits to legal issues, Cobbs on his way out, as is Carter, and not landing a PG.

Hopefully the net is being cast wide so we aren't in this position next spring. The lack of in-state talent this year is a killer too. Hopefully Coleman and Taylor have big summers and give us some help locally.

GW

Rivals Final 150 Rankings - 2010

Selby #1?.... OK.

At first glance.. looks like
+ one incoming Gopher (Mo Walker at #123)
+ zero kids from Minnesota
+ three Marquette kids (Vander Blue #24, Jamail Jones #52, Reggie Smith #112)... [JUCO POY Jae Crowder not eligible for the list]
+ Cory Joseph up to #8... still behind Irving and Knight

At least your "Warrior-side" can be upbeat!

As for me :(

What If (Maybe) Roster

At least your "Warrior-side" can be upbeat!

As for me :(

F Williams - Osenieks - Mbakwe - Dawson - White
C Sampson - Iverson - Walker - Eliason
G Hoffarber - Joseph - Nolen - Hollins - Cobbs - Allen

No need to frown (yet).

No need to frown (yet).

If the bolded is accurate, the Gophers should be pretty good. If it's not...there's not a lot of reason to expect a better result in 2010-2011 than we had this year.

fot

No need to frown (yet).

I do have great hope for our Gophers and in Tubby I trust! :)

Go Gophers!

No need to talk me off the ledge just yet. But this year's crop is approaching Dan Monson levels.

I think it'll be fair to expect year 4 to be a judgement year in regards to the product on the court, off the court, and in regards to recruiting. Coach Smith's salary is historically significant for the University and there should be an expectation that follows the investment.

No need to talk me off the ledge just yet. But this year's crop is approaching Dan Monson levels.

Walker is borderline Top 100.

Eliason is 2-time Gatorade POY and borderline Top 150.

Hollins is also borderline Top 150. Maybe the best of the 4 eventually.

Osenieks is unheralded Prep school player but has good international experience.

I think it'll be fair to expect year 4 to be a judgement year in regards to the product on the court, off the court, and in regards to recruiting. Coach Smith's salary is historically significant for the University and there should be an expectation that follows the investment.

Yes - time for 25 W season and 3 solid recruits (at least).

Osenieks is unheralded Prep school player but has good international experience.

Glass half full guy...I like that.

I don't fully understand why they would rate Selby #1 - he's clearly not as productive as guys like Barnes, Sullinger and Irving at this point. Rivals did rate BJ Mullens #1 in the 2008 class - I think it's fair to say they make some mistakes at the top. Barnes should be #1 in this class.

I don't fully understand why they would rate Selby #1 - he's clearly not as productive as guys like Barnes, Sullinger and Irving at this point. Rivals did rate BJ Mullens #1 in the 2008 class - I think it's fair to say they make some mistakes at the top. Barnes should be #1 in this class.

I think I would have had a hard time not rating Mullens number one in 2008. If the guy wasn't so lazy and played a little harder (from what I've seen) he could be dominant. Legit 7-footer with great athleticism. Many assume that he must not be very skilled, but that man is about as skilled as they come.

Glass half full guy...I like that.

But, being a dear friend of the head coach probably tends to make a guy look at things more favorably.

OSUfan said:
I don't fully understand why they would rate Selby #1

Me either, but I do hope Tyshawn Taylor enjoys watching him.

Flagrant Fouls came out with their top 100.. some bias I'm sure, but Mo is at #56 (Selby at #16... Cory #6... no Jamail Jones?!). Not that these various rankings mean a heckuva lot to me, but interesting to look at. Scout will drop their final rankings next week.

Flagrant Fouls Top 100

Ohio St. #5, 22, 39, 111, 132, 135

Illinois #35, 84,

Michigan St. #38, 115

Purdue #51, 101

Michigan #59

Minnesota #123

Penn St. #145

Ouch... Not going just by the top 150, but overall even with Cory we were only on-par with Purdue and behind Ohio State, Illinois and Mich State.

I think I would have had a hard time not rating Mullens number one in 2008. If the guy wasn't so lazy and played a little harder (from what I've seen) he could be dominant. Legit 7-footer with great athleticism. Many assume that he must not be very skilled, but that man is about as skilled as they come.

Seriously? I would take Tyreke Evans and Brandon Jennings (both in the '08 class) ahead of him in a heartbeat (no surprise to me that they both were picked well ahead of Mullens in the '09 NBA draft) - everything that's happened since their final ranking has said it was a big mistake to put Mullens #1. At some point a kid has to produce on the court in order to merit the ranking & Mullens hasn't played to his potential at any level.

Seriously? I would take Tyreke Evans and Brandon Jennings (both in the '08 class) ahead of him in a heartbeat (no surprise to me that they both were picked well ahead of Mullens in the '09 NBA draft) - everything that's happened since their final ranking has said it was a big mistake to put Mullens #1. At some point a kid has to produce on the court in order to merit the ranking & Mullens hasn't played to his potential at any level.

I just mean at the time the rankings were made. I just don't think it's too ridiculous to put a guy with that size, athleticism and skill at #1. His potential seemed limitless. You would know more than me, but I thought he was pretty productive with the time he received at Ohio State and I was very impressed with him when he came to the Barn. His numbers certainly would have been better if he had gotten more playing time.

Edit: Just to reiterate though, not saying it turned out to be right decision, but at the time it didn't seem ridiculous to me. I'm sure many will disagree though.

Ahh more voice of reason in the mob insanity.

Recruiting doesn't mean squat... Tubby will still manage to produce wins and get the best out of his players.

(yeah yeah I know, whatever I have to tell myself, right?)

Top Bottom