Field of 68 Projection (through Feb. 28)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Through games played Feb. 28. An asterisk denotes #1 seed in conference tournament, conference leader or, in the case of ties, the team with the best RPI.

FIELD OF 68
America East (1): Stony Brook (63)

American (3): Cincinnati (50), UConn (52), *Temple (59)

ACC (7): Virginia (3), *Miami (7), North Carolina (9), Duke (12), Notre Dame (30), Pitt (39), Syracuse (54)

Atlantic Sun (1): North Florida (155)

Atlantic 10 (4): Dayton (25), *Saint Joseph's (26), Saint Bonaventure (35), VCU (46)

Big East (5): *Villanova (2), Xavier (5), Seton Hall (31), Providence (44), Butler (55)

Big Sky (1): Weber State (136)

Big South (1): High Point (158)

B1G (6): Maryland (10), Michigan State (14), Purdue (18), Iowa (22), *Indiana (27), Wisconsin (33)

Big XII (7): *Kansas (1), Oklahoma (6), West Virginia (11), Iowa State (19), Texas (20), Baylor (23), Texas Tech (24)

Big West (1): Hawaii (88)

Colonial (1): Hofstra (60)

Conference USA (1): UAB (75)

Horizon (1): Valparaiso (42)

Ivy (1): Yale (51)

MAAC (1): Monmouth (53)

MAC (1): Akron (48)

MEAC (1): Hampton (170)

Missouri Valley (1): Wichita State (37)

Mountain West (1): San Diego State (58)

Northeast (1): Wagner (182)

Ohio Valley (1): Belmont (79)

Pac 12 (7): *Oregon (4), Utah (8), Cal (16), Colorado (28), Arizona (29), Oregon State (32), USC (43)

Patriot (1): Bucknell (168)

SEC (5): *Kentucky (15), Texas A&M (21), South Carolina (38), Vanderbilt (49), Alabama (57)

Southern (1): Chattanooga (62)

Southland (1): Stephen F. Austin (90)

SWAC (1): Texas Southern (198)

Summit (1): Fort Wayne (68)

Sun Belt (1): UALR (36)

West Coast (1): Saint Mary's (47)

WAC (1): New Mexico State (112)

First 4 Out: Tulsa (40), Florida (45), Michigan (56), Gonzaga (65)

Others Considered (4): Princeton (34), George Washington (61), Florida State (71), Ohio State (74)

Non-Power 6 At-Larges (5): Dayton (25), Saint Bonaventure (35), VCU (46), Cincinnati (50), UConn (52)

Breakdown of Field of 68 Heading into Championship Week

A breakdown of the Field of 68 using 4 different categories:

Automatic Bids/#1 Seed in Conference Tournament/Conference Leader (32)
Stony Brook, Temple, Miami-Florida, North Florida, Saint Joseph's, Villanova, Weber State, High Point, Indiana, Kansas, Hawaii, Hofstra, UAB, Valparaiso, Yale, Monmouth, Akron, Hampton, Wichita State, San Diego State, Wagner, Belmont, Oregon, Bucknell, Kentucky, Chattanooga, Stephen F. Auston, Texas Southern, Fort Wayne, UALR, Saint Mary's, New Mexico State

Locks (21)
Duke, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Virginia, Dayton, Xavier, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Baylor, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Texas, West Virginia, Arizona, Cal, Colorado, Utah, Texas A&M

That gets us to 53 of the 68 slots filled.

On the Cusp (3) -- 1 more win and these teams become locks
Pitt, Seton Hall, Texas Tech

That gets us to 56 bids accounted for.

Bubblicious (20) -- 12 of these 20 would fill out the field
1 Cincinnati (in)
Tulsa (first 4 out)
2 UConn (last 4 in)
Florida State (out)
3 Syracuse (in)
George Washington (out)
4 Saint Bonaventure (in)
5 VCU (last 4 in)
6 Butler (last 4 in)
7 Providence (in)
Michigan (first 4 out)
Ohio State (out)
Princeton (out)
8 Oregon State (in)
9 USC (in)
10 Alabama (last 4 in)
Florida (first 4 out)
11 South Carolina (in)
12 Vanderbilt (in)
Gonzaga (first 4 out)

Thanks, SS. Wanted to get your thoughts on Oregon State, as they seem to be a polarizing team. I've seen them seeded 8/9 in lots of places, while Lunardi had them out altogether until today. Great RPI/SOS but a few bad losses. They go to SoCal for UCLA and USC this weekend - does the game against USC turn into an elimination game?

I grew up watching Beaver basketball and remember running home from school to catch the end of their loss to Ball State in the 1st round of the 1990 Tourney. I was crushed at the time but had no idea they wouldn't even sniff the dance again until now.

Lunardi & Palm latest Bracketology

Lunardi
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Lunardi & I have 2 differences. He has Florida and Michigan in the field, in their place I have Alabama and Saint Bonaventure.

Palm
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

Palm & I have 1 difference. He has Michigan in the field, in its place I have VCU.

Last 4 In
Me: Alabama, Butler, UConn, VCU
Lunardi: Butler, Florida, Michigan, Oregon State
Palm: Cincinnati, Michigan, Saint Bonaventure, Vanderbilt

First 4 Out
Me: Florida, Gonzaga, Michigan, Tulsa
Lunardi: Alabama, Gonzaga, Saint Bonaventure, Tulsa
Palm: Florida, George Washington, Tulsa, VCU

Thanks, SS. Wanted to get your thoughts on Oregon State, as they seem to be a polarizing team. I've seen them seeded 8/9 in lots of places, while Lunardi had them out altogether until today. Great RPI/SOS but a few bad losses. They go to SoCal for UCLA and USC this weekend - does the game against USC turn into an elimination game?

I grew up watching Beaver basketball and remember running home from school to catch the end of their loss to Ball State in the 1st round of the 1990 Tourney. I was crushed at the time but had no idea they wouldn't even sniff the dance again until now.

I was out in Corvallis for the games against Utah and Colorado about three weeks ago. They need to get a split in LA to get in. The problem is they play bad on the road. If they can get a sweep, they will be in for sure. Otherwise they need a couple wins in the PAC tournament. Their SOS is #1.
I was an undergrad when Ralph Miller won the conference four of my five years there.
Yes, it is astounding how such a historically great program went in the tank. A parallel to Gopher football. Did you see this?
Gary Payton II surprises dad by wearing his No. 20 for ... - FOX ...
Fox Sports › college-basketball › story
5 hours ago - Gary Payton II surprises dad by wearing his No. 20 for ... his famous father to his alma mater, but he didn't take his number. Until last night, that is. Payton II, who usually wears the No.

I was out in Corvallis for the games against Utah and Colorado about three weeks ago. They need to get a split in LA to get in. The problem is they play bad on the road. If they can get a sweep, they will be in for sure. Otherwise they need a couple wins in the PAC tournament. Their SOS is #1.
I was an undergrad when Ralph Miller won the conference four of my five years there.
Yes, it is astounding how such a historically great program went in the tank. A parallel to Gopher football. Did you see this?
Gary Payton II surprises dad by wearing his No. 20 for ... - FOX ...
Fox Sports › college-basketball › story
5 hours ago - Gary Payton II surprises dad by wearing his No. 20 for ... his famous father to his alma mater, but he didn't take his number. Until last night, that is. Payton II, who usually wears the No.

I watched the game last night and loved GPII wearing #20. Somewhere I have a ticket stub from the 1986 or '87 Far West Classic with a "Gary Payton #20" signature on it.

USC and UCLA have both seemingly gone in the tank, so the time is now for OSU to make good on this opportunity. Seeing them playing well brings back a lot of good memories of great basketball and listening to Darrell Aune.

I pretty much agree with Beavergopher. A split in LA will put them in really good position (especially if they beat USC), sweep and it'll be pretty much impossible to leave them out with that SOS. Yes, the road record is a concern, but the neutral-site win over Tulsa could be key if they end up on the bubble.

On the flip side, get swept in LA and the Beavers probably need to get to the Pac 12 semis to have a chance.

I'm rooting for them. I'm old enough to remember when they were really good under Ralph Miller, especially the Steve Johnson team.

I watched the game last night and loved GPII wearing #20. Somewhere I have a ticket stub from the 1986 or '87 Far West Classic with a "Gary Payton #20" signature on it.

USC and UCLA have both seemingly gone in the tank, so the time is now for OSU to make good on this opportunity. Seeing them playing well brings back a lot of good memories of great basketball and listening to Darrell Aune.

The last game I attended at Gill was the season finale against UCLA my senior year where they wrapped up the conference championship back in '84. Been a few years!
Still a great venue and boy did a lot of awesome memories come flooding back walking into the old place. I think they finally got the right coach. It will be crushing if they don't make the dance. Go Beav's.

What's the most losses combined the number 1 seeds have ever had? Seems like there is a top team or two losing every week. Could end up with multiple 1 seeds having 6 or 7 losses.

Top Bottom