Field of 68 Projection: Badgers Firmly In Field, Michigan Drops Out

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Of my 21 bubble teams battling for 11 available at-large bids, Wisconsin, Alabama, and Syracuse are the strongest. Michigan drops to one of my "first 4 out".

An * denotes current conference leader or best RPI (if tie for 1st).

FIELD OF 68 (through Feb. 21)

America East (1): Stony Brook (52)

American (4): Tulsa (37), UConn (39), *Temple (57), Cincinnati (59)

ACC (7): Virginia (5), *North Carolina (7), Miami (8), Duke (11), Notre Dame (27), Pitt (36), Syracuse (56)

Atlantic Sun (1): North Florida (162)

Atlantic 10 (4): Dayton (17), Saint Joseph's (26), Saint Bonaventure (33), *VCU (49)

Big East (4): *Villanova (2), Xavier (6), Providence (38), Seton Hall (42)

Big Sky (1): Montana (149)

Big South (1): Winthrop (132)

B1G (6): Maryland (9), Iowa (13), Michigan State (16), Purdue (24), *Indiana (29), Wisconsin (45)

Big XII (7): *Kansas (1), Oklahoma (3), West Virginia (15), Iowa State (18), Baylor (21), Texas Tech (22), Texas (28)

Big West (1): Hawaii (74)

Colonial (1): NC Wilmington (61)

Conference USA (1): UAB (85)

Horizon (1): Valparaiso (58)

Ivy (1): Yale (54)

MAAC (1): Monmouth (46)

MAC (1): Akron (40)

MEAC (1): Hampton (184)

Missouri Valley (1): Wichita State (44)

Mountain West (1): San Diego State (50)

Northeast (1): Wagner (190)

Ohio Valley (1): Belmont (84)

Pac 12 (7): *Oregon (4), Utah (10), Cal (19), Arizona (25), USC (30), Colorado (34), Oregon State (35)

Patriot (1): Bucknell (183)

SEC (5): *Kentucky (12), Texas A&M (23), South Carolina (31), Florida (32), Alabama (48)

Southern (1): Chattanooga (62)

Southland (1): Stephen F. Austin (100)

SWAC (1): Texas Southern (208)

Summit (1): Fort Wayne (64)

Sun Belt (1): UALR (43)

West Coast (1): Saint Mary's (53)

WAC (1): New Mexico State (104)

Last 4 In: Florida (32), Saint Bonaventure (33), Oregon State (35), Seton Hall (42)

First 4 Out: George Washington (52), Michigan (55), Gonzaga (66), Washington (71)

Others Considered (6): Butler (63), Vanderbilt (65), BYU (68), UCLA (69), Florida State (73), Ohio State (76)

Non-Power 6 At-Larges (6): Dayton (17), Saint Joseph's (26), Saint Bonaventure (33), Tulsa (37), UConn (39), Cincinnati (59)

Michigan yes, The Ohio State no

Would 11-7 not be enough for Ohio state and Michigan?

I think 11-7 gets Michigan in because it means they would have beaten Wisconsin and/or Iowa in these last 3 games. Add that to wins vs. Texas, Maryland, and Purdue along with having no bad losses (100+ RPI) and they should be fine. That's regardless what the Wolverines do in the B1G Tournament.

11-7 won't (shouldn't) be enough for Ohio State without getting 2 quality wins in the B1G Tournament. Buckeyes have to win 2 of their final 3 regular-season games (MSU, Iowa, @ MSU) to feel decent about their chances. They're 1-7 vs. the RPI top 50, and have a "whopping" 2 wins vs. the RPI top 100 (Kentucky & Michigan).

Sure would be nice if we could help put Wisconsin back on the bubble.

Yep, Badgers in pretty good shape for a bid, but not yet out of the woods. Gophers could put a major stain on UW resume.

Sure would be nice if we could help put Wisconsin back on the bubble.

Anything can happen this year with the Badgers. If you get the first 28 minute Badgers from last night, the Gophers could definitely win the game. When they play well, they are tough to beat. How is that for hard hitting analysis?

SS,

Badgers an interesting case because they have some really bad losses, but will have as many top 100 wins as almost at large team. Which is more important to the committee?

Anything can happen this year with the Badgers. If you get the first 28 minute Badgers from last night, the Gophers could definitely win the game. When they play well, they are tough to beat. How is that for hard hitting analysis?

The Home Cookin' in the last 10 minutes of that game was a strong as ever. It was as if Bo himself was there berating the officials. I was amazed Groce didn't get T'd up.

SS,

Badgers an interesting case because they have some really bad losses, but will have as many top 100 wins as almost at large team. Which is more important to the committee?

No way of knowing for sure, but bad losses have never bothered me as long as the team has plenty of quality wins. In the Badgers case, I think the quantity & quality of their wins would more than offset those stinker losses. ... especially when stacking up their resume vs. the other likely bubble teams.

3 at-large differences with Lunardi & Palm

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Lunardi and I differ on 3 at-larges. Lunardi has Butler, Gonzaga, and Michigan in the field, in their place I have Oregon State, Saint Bonaventure, and Tulsa.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

Palm and I differ on 3, as well. Palm has Butler, George Washington, and Michigan in the field, in their place I have Cincinnati, Saint Bonaventure, and Tulsa.

Last 4 In
Lunardi: Alabama, Butler, Cincinnati, Gonzaga
Palm: George Washington, Michigan, Seton Hall, Wisconsin
SS: Florida, Oregon State, Saint Bonaventure, Seton Hall

First 4 Out
Lunardi: George Washington, Saint Bonaventure, Tulsa, Vanderbilt
Palm: Cincinnati, Saint Bonaventure, Tulsa, Washington
SS: George Washington, Gonzaga, Michigan, Washington

Top Bottom