Favorite play from Saturday...

Jike Spingleton

Traveling Champ
Reaction score
OK, so there were more than a few "big plays" in that game. And Bennett's ridiculous TD catch won't soon be forgotten, but there was one play that stood out to me above all, on MSU's last drive. 2nd and 15 (maybe not the exact down and distance, as I was in somewhat of a daze by that point) near midfield, Sparty swings the ball out to the back and gets a nice block on Carter from one of the receivers, and it looks like the back will have room for a first down. But Garrett Brown never gives up on the play, tracks down the RB and keeps it to a 6-yard gain. And as we know, Sparty stalled and never got the ball back.

Little things like that hustle play sometimes go unnoticed, but it stood out to me when it was looking like we could be headed to a possible overtime. Glad to see Garrett get recognized by the BT today - he will be sorely missed next season.

OK, so there were more than a few "big plays" in that game. And Bennett's ridiculous TD catch won't soon be forgotten, but there was one play that stood out to me above all, on MSU's last drive. 2nd and 15 (maybe not the exact down and distance, as I was in somewhat of a daze by that point) near midfield, Sparty swings the ball out to the back and gets a nice block on Carter from one of the receivers, and it looks like the back will have room for a first down. But Garrett Brown never gives up on the play, tracks down the RB and keeps it to a 6-yard gain. And as we know, Sparty stalled and never got the ball back.

Little things like that hustle play sometimes go unnoticed, but it stood out to me when it was looking like we could be headed to a possible overtime. Glad to see Garrett get recognized by the BT today - he will be sorely missed next season.

+1 Garrett Brown's hustle was amazing. I actually thought about starting a thread related to that so thanks.

I watched Brown that whole play as he had just come back in from whatever his injury was (and had been playing well all night) and he pressured the qb and then recognized the swing and was able to get out there. Great play.

I watched Brown that whole play as he had just come back in from whatever his injury was (and had been playing well all night) and he pressured the qb and then recognized the swing and was able to get out there. Great play.

Me too. One fan next to me said we need to give him another rest so he can do that again later :clap:

Favorite play from Saturday...

I liked Brewster's post-game no-comment comment about Saturday's refs.

Jewan Edwards stuffing the run twice in the Goal Line Defense.

Dajon McKnight's unbelievable reception late in the 4th quarter to re-take the lead

I loved Tow Arnett that whole game! I've been waiting for him and McKnight to emerge all year and they played really good. Plus our line looked totally different on both sides. Weber had time and we were putting pressure on Sparty!

Dajon McKnight's unbelievable reception late in the 4th quarter to re-take the lead

The 50+ yarder to McKnight was my favorite. Weber hit him right in stride.

Was it Edwards that did it or McKinley/Brown?

I hope it was Edwards...NT play like that we have missed for years. Who did we recruit this year (Feb 2010 class) to backfill Edwards?

Is T-A ok after that hit on the last TD! That helmet to helmet looked nasty.

We were pretty surprised when we saw Brown get up after that tackle. Couldn't believe that he chased the guy down.

The opening touchdown Pass and the Goal Line stands were things of beauty too. Hell, seeing as how the Gophers won the game, the kick-off return to open the Second Half was played perfectly by the Spartans. Watching the Gophers come right back with their own TD was impressive. Damned heart-warming too!

Was it Edwards that did it or McKinley/Brown?

I hope it was Edwards...NT play like that we have missed for years. Who did we recruit this year (Feb 2010 class) to backfill Edwards?

Doral Willis of Pahokee HS in Florida is a big body who has committed to us. I think they are still recruiting a few more "big" DTs, notably Beau Allen, Richard Ash (who is not as large, but is very good), and Jonathon Hankins. Josh Tauaefa is a DT from Texas who has committed to the program, but he's not a big body like Edwards.

We need to keep bringing in the beef upfront on defense. Makes everyone better when you can force things wide.

Nobody has mentioned this yet but Brandon Green's touchdown in the 1st quarter was fantastic. He knew that he was going to have to slow down for the ball to fall to him so he let up quite a bit to let the ball arc over his head. Then he turned on the burners to get seperation from the defender and caught it in stride. Seeing it on LIVE was incredible...re-watching it on TV did not do it justice. Great grab, Brandon!

Keanon Cooper's pass break-up 30 yards down field. What an athletic play for a LB to make! When you're playing the Gophers, 9 times out of 10 that's a catch. Keanon is a great example of the type of athletes that Coach Brewster is bringing in.

My favorite play was the opening TD. To me, that was just a giant F***-U to everyone that said the Gophs can't score or win without Decker.

Some little things that were big. I believe it was Small playing on the OLine during our goal line run pushing the pile?

Since you didn't specify which game when you titled the post Favorite Play from Saturday
I have to throw my $0.02's in. Haha.

1:20 in the video.

99 Yard Run

Since you didn't specify which game when you titled the post Favorite Play from Saturday
I have to throw my $0.02's in. Haha.

1:20 in the video.

99 Yard Run

Show off!:p Nice run. Gotta love that wild boar head at the start of the video!

Top Bottom