Fantastic column from Chip: Football Across Minnesota: Chip Lohmiller, our most-famous kicker, now plays quarterback

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Chip:

Chip Lohmiller’s office features no football memorabilia. There’s not even a hint he was once an All-State kicker at Woodbury High, an all-Big Ten performer for the Gophers and an All-Pro selection in the NFL for Washington.
His desk doesn’t include photos of his magical moments at the old Metrodome — a 62-yard field goal against Iowa in 1986 (a Gophers record) and three field goals in Super Bowl XXVI to help Washington secure a 37-24 championship over Buffalo.

That was a different time in his life. Back then, he was Chip Lohmiller, the kicker.

Today, he’s Chief Lohmiller, fire chief of Crosslake in the Brainerd Lakes Area.

“It’s everybody’s dream: playing professional football and being a fireman,” he says. “I’m living it.”

He joined the Crosslake Fire Department in 1997 only months after calling an end to his nine-year NFL career. His father had been a firefighter, and he felt that same calling.

Now 58, Lohmiller has climbed the ranks to full-time chief overseeing a department of 25 paid on-call firemen. He also owns a company that trains firefighters across Minnesota. Lohmiller and his 54 instructors teach 30 to 40 classes per week in the winter.

Go Chip Lohmiller!!

Kicker when I first started to pay attention to and listen to Gopher games. Would love to see Kesich get a shot at the record sometime.

Per Chip:

Chip Lohmiller’s office features no football memorabilia. There’s not even a hint he was once an All-State kicker at Woodbury High, an all-Big Ten performer for the Gophers and an All-Pro selection in the NFL for Washington.
His desk doesn’t include photos of his magical moments at the old Metrodome — a 62-yard field goal against Iowa in 1986 (a Gophers record) and three field goals in Super Bowl XXVI to help Washington secure a 37-24 championship over Buffalo.

That was a different time in his life. Back then, he was Chip Lohmiller, the kicker.

Today, he’s Chief Lohmiller, fire chief of Crosslake in the Brainerd Lakes Area.

“It’s everybody’s dream: playing professional football and being a fireman,” he says. “I’m living it.”

He joined the Crosslake Fire Department in 1997 only months after calling an end to his nine-year NFL career. His father had been a firefighter, and he felt that same calling.

Now 58, Lohmiller has climbed the ranks to full-time chief overseeing a department of 25 paid on-call firemen. He also owns a company that trains firefighters across Minnesota. Lohmiller and his 54 instructors teach 30 to 40 classes per week in the winter.

Go Chip Lohmiller!!
A much more innocent time in sports. When Tommy Kramer and Studwell were hanging out at college parties during training camp.

It always surprises me that people live normal lives after they hang up their helmet.

Reminds me of being a kid and seeing your teacher at the grocery store... like a "you live a normal life too?" moment.

Would be fun to have some alumni recognized every game. There is enough of them...

Top Bottom