Fairfield could be a good challenge

Steg Money

Reaction score
Excited for the Fairfield matchup on Thursday (feels a little dirty writing that, but with the gophers non-conference schedule, you look for games where you can get them). They are a legitimate mid/low major team, and should be a good test. Seem to have decent starting five - and a 7 foot senior (Olander) who can play.

Me too, though I was a bit disappointed (and surprised) to see they lost at home to Providence last night.

Me too, though I was a bit disappointed (and surprised) to see they lost at home to Providence last night.

They overlooked Providence because they were looking too much ahead to playing the Gophers? :)

I don't think anyone won't be a good challenge for this team.

I don't think anyone won't be a good challenge for this team.

If we struggle Monday vs. Mount St. Mary's (91-37 losers to Marquette), then I'll be worried. The Mount is a bonafide cupcake.

I expect Fairfield to be a test, similar or probably tougher than Bucknell.

zambam said:
Awesome? Most people here don't care about the gambling side of sports.

I'd say the Gopher line is pretty relevant to this thread. Everyone posts the game lines.

almost every coach and players peek at the lines for pro and college games ...isnt there pick thread going here every day.... feel free to go there and complain about gambling themes

Thursday night could be a preview of the Old Spice Classic Championship game

With what we know now (Old Spice)

With the benefit of having seen a few results for all the Old Spice participants, my hunch is Gophers-Fairifield is still the most likely title-game matchup. If not Fairfield, perhaps Dayton.

Perhaps the two best teams -- the Gophers and Indiana State -- might actually meet in the semifinals?

Well, having had friends pass their tickets on to us, we again have more tickets for this game than we can use. Had to give away tickets. The excitement is limited. I love U of M BB, but don't kid yourself that this is a big deal in the scheme of things.

What a pooptastic tournament to look forward to. This will be the first time in a while without a very nice signature OOC win.

I was actually surprised by the Old Spice field. Isn't it normally better than that?

I was actually surprised by the Old Spice field. Isn't it normally better than that?

It is a weak field, certainly, but I think they usually set these up a couple years in advance. A lot of it is just plain bad luck for the Old Spice. There's no way to plan for ALL of Arizona State, DePaul, Minnesota, Texas Tech, Wake Forest and to a lesser extent Dayton coming off disappointing to terrible seasons.

That's why it's all the more important the Gophers win this thing. The only way they're likely to get a quality win (Indiana State and/or Fairfield?) out of this thing is by winning it. At most of these quality 8-team exempt tournaments (Old Spice, Maui, Puerto Rico, Paradise Jam, Diamond Head Classic, Battle 4 Atlantis, etc.), winning 2 of 3 is good for the resume. However, that doesn't apply to the Old Spice this year. Gophers need to go 3-0 in Orlando. ... they're the clear favorite from what I can see.

USC should be pretty bad this year actually. Even their coach said that fans shouldn't buy tickets to any games if their best player gets hurt because they'd be so terrible.

VT would be solid but definitely nowhere near the quality of our wins the past 3 years.

USC or VT would be pretty good.

Top Bottom