Faalele

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
Will Faalele be back for the bowl game? Have not heard that he wouldn't or would be playing.

We're probably not going to hear ahead of time. No reason to tell Auburn what to prepare for.

Not a word.

PJ and Co. don't like to talk about injuries by default.

There was a comment on this board shortly after the last game that said he broke his tibia (I believe) and would be out for the bowl game.

There was a comment on this board shortly after the last game that said he broke his tibia (I believe) and would be out for the bowl game.

It was a random comment by a random person. Could be true, but no proof or additional comment was given.

If the tibia is broken (or just leg in general), is this Dickson's time to shine? What are some guesses as to path forward?

Ok I'm not trying to be snarky here with this comment...what's the obsession so many have with Dickson? Guy hasn't cracked the lineup at all in a couple of seasons. I like his size...reminds me of Donnell Greene size wise (who I thought was pretty good) is that what everyone is thinking? He certainly could have potential but you don't hear his name thrown around by the staff.

The Gophers are going to make adjustments in Fa'alele's absence on the line if he indeed is not playing. If Dickson is their best option as a replacement starter, then so be it. He'll anchor Fa'alele's spot at tackle.

Otherwise, he may be a serviceable backup to allow the other tackles a breather. Dunlap and Fa'alele themselves needed a lot of encouragement in the beginning of the season and throughout by the coaches if you have watched their practices. The thing is Dickson has to seize the moment and play in the game like his life depended on it if given his chance. You can't teach big. Other things you can. The rest is up to the player as in the case of David Cobb. He has to develop attitude and self-confidence in his abilities. It's all up to him. He has to turn on the switch.

Last edited:

Ok I'm not trying to be snarky here with this comment...what's the obsession so many have with Dickson? Guy hasn't cracked the lineup at all in a couple of seasons. I like his size...reminds me of Donnell Greene size wise (who I thought was pretty good) is that what everyone is thinking? He certainly could have potential but you don't hear his name thrown around by the staff.
Hope that there is more there than we know.

If the tibia is broken (or just leg in general), is this Dickson's time to shine? What are some guesses as to path forward?
Same as what we've been doing, move Blaise to RT, Olson to LG and JMS to center. Should be fine.

I broke my tibia once.... you're out for 9 months easy if that happens.Fibula is a much different thing

I saw him walking around campus a week or 2 after the final game and he had a brace on his lower leg but was walking without crutches. This seems to me to support the tibia or fibula hypothesis.

I broke my tibia once.... you're out for 9 months easy if that happens.Fibula is a much different thing
Was thinking the same thing. However, if there is any chance he may re-injury the leg long term then he doesn't play. I'm sure everyone will do what is best for the player.

A good sign for earlier and easier recovery but would think the 400# load on the leg, despite it being the classically non-weight bearing bone in the lower leg, would prohibit him from playing until spring practice.

You can break both the distal fibula (distal shaft of the fibula +/- lateral malleolous) and the distal tibia (medial malleolus). More often then not, both are affected (or at least the deltoid ligament w the medial malleolus of the distal tibia).

The energy of ankle fractures break down into four categories for the most part.

For his mechanism of injury, it is probable
he broke the fibula and the energy of the fracture went through his syndesmosis and then broke his medial malleolus on his tibia.

Outcomes for those who get surgery and weight bear and those who get surgery and do not weight bear do not differ.

Just wanted to add clarification on this. It is not better to break either bone unless it is isolated fibula (which is unlikely given his mechanism).

You can break both the distal fibula (distal shaft of the fibula +/- lateral malleolous) and the distal tibia (medial malleolus). More often then not, both are affected (or at least the deltoid ligament w the medial malleolus of the distal tibia).

The energy of ankle fractures break down into four categories for the most part.

he broke the fibula and the energy of the fracture went through his syndesmosis and then broke his medial malleolus on his tibia.

Outcomes for those who get surgery and weight bear and those who get surgery and do not weight bear do not differ.

Just wanted to add clarification on this. It is not better to break either bone unless it is isolated fibula (which is unlikely given his mechanism).
Science!

A trauma to the body like that has to have consequential damage to inter-related structures. Take being shot for instance.

If he has any sort of break of some sort, I'll bet they shut him down and save him for the upcoming year. Fleck appears to be pretty good about that this year.

If he has any sort of break of some sort, I'll bet they shut him down and save him for the upcoming year. Fleck appears to be pretty good about that this year.
I would think so but PJ.... doesn't pull his QB often when he could.

They won't sacrifice Fa'alele's long term future. The docotr's advice will be very prominent.

Top Bottom