Explosive Plays

Gophers09

Reaction score
No solution here but many of the offense's struggles can be blamed on the lack of explosive plays. The longest offensive TD on the year was 26 yards (Decker v Cal). The next longest is 16 yards. Additionally, we do not have a 30 yard rush the entire season.

It's been like this for a while...I do occasionally miss 500 yard offensive games though.......

I don't think there's any real solution apart from executing the basics better. It's hard for receivers to make explosive plays when the line isn't creating clear passing lanes for the QB to deliver the ball down the field, or when the QB simply isn't making the reads necessary to get it there. Likewise it's hard for backs to bust big runs when the line does a poor job of weakside protection and fails to open gaps.

It's a reflection of the total failure of the offense more than a specific problem in and of itself.

Exceptional athletes are crucial for big plays along with play calling. I think this team has some good talent but they might be a little young yet. It also requires good QB play but the receivers also have to catch the damn ball. It's no secret that I want Gray to see more reps but it won't matter who is throwing the ball if we don't catch the throw. The thing I like about Gray the most is his ability to scramble/run while our OL is finding their groove as a unit.

The best read all year was the long drag in the OSU game

When Weber hit the fourth option and actually had time to throw to the drag route that opened up. What worked well that caused that play to work. The Route had just enough time to develop for Weber to deliver the ball on time. Weber got creamed on the play a little late, but that was actually one heck of a football play by the line giving him time, the QB seeing the route develop and the WR finding the seam in the zone. Gophers start to replicate that, get a ryhthem and some success converting first downs, and then we will have something. When re-watching that play, the QB can make plays if he hangs in there, get's time from the line and the WR run good disciplined routes. Passing seems to be this Gophers teams strength, give the QB's just enough time and they will put the throws there. Now the Gophers have to eliminate the drops. Ball hit's you in the palms you should catch it. Having seen that play again, Weber should still start, it takes a veteran QB to pick up that read.

dont get me wrong i like the big plays just as much as the next guy but we should still be focusing ont the small ones for now. who knows if we execute those well enough they might turn into big plays. i was a big fan of the 2 quick slants we ran back to back first to allen for 19 yards and green for 12 yards just driving the CB off then getting inside and the ball was there for a catch and run... simple is not always bad. with the week o-line play of late especially against some good dlines. i think we should do that more often 3 step drop, balls out. it seems like everything we throw takes way to much time to develop and pressure is surrondng weber. basically just get the ball out if his hands quicker..... and mark my words his numbers would rise......Thoughts..

dont get me wrong i like the big plays just as much as the next guy but we should still be focusing ont the small ones for now. who knows if we execute those well enough they might turn into big plays. i was a big fan of the 2 quick slants we ran back to back first to allen for 19 yards and green for 12 yards just driving the CB off then getting inside and the ball was there for a catch and run... simple is not always bad. with the week o-line play of late especially against some good dlines. i think we should do that more often 3 step drop, balls out. it seems like everything we throw takes way to much time to develop and pressure is surrondng weber. basically just get the ball out if his hands quicker..... and mark my words his numbers would rise......Thoughts..

I agree, short routes, quick hitters, etc should be involved more, if nothing else than to improve the confidence of the QB and get into a groove. The NW game we were able to give the QB time as well as execute the run and the PA.
As for big plays, if we can get better protection, I look for Bryant Allen to get a few go route calls, he's what Carpenter was supposed to be; a speedy if undersized deep threat, it'd be great to see him more involved.

so true. I'm sick of 1 yd runs...but I guess at this point im happy if we score at all.

Just out of curiosity, how good are the d-lines from here on out? Haven't seen much on the rest of the teams besides Iowa. Does anybody think we could contain the rest of the teams on that part of the game?

Here is the link to the scout's website with team offense and defense stats. It’s not the greatest but it’s what google gave me. To summarize what you were asking about; ILL has a terrible run D (although sadly not as bad as ours), Iowa and MSU have middle of the pack run support.

Scout.com Team Defense Stats

Here is the link to the scout's website with team offense and defense stats. It’s not the greatest but it’s what google gave me. To summarize what you were asking about; ILL has a terrible run D (although sadly not as bad as ours), Iowa and MSU have middle of the pack run support.

Scout.com Team Defense Stats

wow those stats make me sad

Top Bottom