Ex Gopher Jim Carter said Hoosier star Tom Van Arsdale said U is a "laughing stock"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Ex Gopher Jim Carter said Hoosier star Tom Van Arsdale said U is a "laughing stock"

per Shama:

There is no shortage of highly qualified and motivated candidates that can form a blue-ribbon group. Former U athletic directors and athletes, present coaches and athletes, business leaders and other professionals offer a rich and diverse resource to Kaler if he will seek their counsel. “There is a huge talent pool,” Jim Carter said.

Carter said his friend Tom Van Arsdale, a former Indiana basketball star, told him the national perspective of the Gophers is that they are a “laughing stock.”

“How did we get to that, from where we used to be?” Carter wonders.

It’s an understatement to say Carter has been recommended for the search committee. “I know for sure I have over 125 nominations that have been sent to the president’s office,” Carter told Sports Headliners. “So if it’s by volume, I would guess they would have to put me on the committee, but you know…I’ve been outspoken a lot over the years.

“I’ve tried to be a truth teller—at least truth the way I see it, and it’s not been popular. I’ve been critical of Dr. Kaler and some of the people over there—so I certainly wouldn’t be their first choice, I am sure.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Carter said his friend Tom Van Arsdale, a former Indiana basketball star, told him the national perspective of the Gophers is that they are a “laughing stock.”

Finally!! A 73 year old from Indiana has chimed in on the national perspective.

Naaahhh.... we're perfectly fine. Just ask anyone recruiting against us. They would never speak ill of another school.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

First, during the Rutgers debacle I found myself laughing at this sh!t storm.
Second, the U has been a joke since Rocky and Bullwinkle called us Whatsamatta U. Nothing new there. Like the Cubs, it's almost a bragging right.
Third, Jim Carter is the Jesse Ventura of Alum. You just have to take him with a grain of salt as he busters away.

We are a laughing stock in a number of ways. Can't believe we have gone this long without a AD or even a concrete plan to hire one.

Why does this thread exist? I see nothing wrong with his comment as far as our athletic program is concerned.

As for hiring an AD, they will most likely screw that up as well.

All I care about is what color scarf he was wearing when he gave this sound bite.

We can make jokes about who said what but the truth is they're right. Not sure exactly when or exactly what caused this athletic department to go off the rails but it did. They can't seem to get out of their own way. There's very little if anything we as fans of the 'U' can do to right this ship but not admitting this school has a problem only makes it easier for non 'U' fans (and fans) to crack jokes about the school. Admitting the school has an issue doesn't minimize your status as a fan; in fact I'd argue it makes you a better fan.

Admitting 'we' have a problem is the first step.

I'll never get that 5 minutes back ...Good Lord

We can make jokes about who said what but the truth is they're right. Not sure exactly when or exactly what caused this athletic department to go off the rails but it did. They can't seem to get out of their own way. There's very little if anything we as fans of the 'U' can do to right this ship but not admitting this school has a problem only makes it easier for non 'U' fans (and fans) to crack jokes about the school. Admitting the school has an issue doesn't minimize your status as a fan; in fact I'd argue it makes you a better fan.

The rest of the nation is not giving Gopher athletics a lot of thought and the little thought that has been given, since from Norwood's departure, has been about the crushing Kill press conference when he retired, to the amazing Rachel Banham performances in February and Joey King's memorable interview after the Maryland game (one BTN analyst's top moment from the entire big ten basketball season).

Admitting 'we' have a problem is the first step.

Since the process of hiring an athletic director and building new athletics facilities are underway, wouldn't that be the third step?

Since the process of hiring an athletic director and building new athletics facilities are underway, wouldn't that be the third step?

You're not admitting we have a problem. A guy from back when I went to the U, campaigning way too hard to be important, cites a friend of his from another school and I am supposed to be ashamed? JHC, you can't make some of this up. The average fan from Minnesota could care less so I doubt that people from Ohio or Idaho or Arizona even know about it.

This is some real groundbreaking stuff here. Wouldn't have realized this otherwise.

I doubt Carter pal was laughing either of the times we squared off in hoops this year as for football well they don't have the right to laugh at anyone

More importantly, have we had a chance to ask or interview AJ Barkers, moms Friend on her thoughts on the U lately?

Top Bottom