Ex Gopher football coaches and players

Gold Rush

Reaction score
Gopher fans who have been here for a long time have seen several coaches come and go, but in just about every case they left on a sour note and were rarely heard from - if ever - again and they moved on with very little fanfare. This seems to be the "nature of the beast". The former coaches each were the face of the program while they were here and the man we rallied around while they were here. They suddenly become the number one fan while they are here but when they leave most people are just glad they are gone.

Lou Holtz - retired - never heard from again.
John Gutekunst - Defensive analyst at ECU - never heard from in years
Jim Wacker - deceased - after he was fired he said he would always be a Gopher fan and came back to see his team in the Sun Bowl - classy move
Tim Brewster - UNC TE's coach - gone and forgotten for the most part
Jerry Kill - left on good terms - I thought he would be around the program for years - been through about 5 jobs in the last 6 years and has distanced himself from the program
Tracy Claeys - out of coaching - we will probably never hear from him again, at least in a positive way

I do not know if any of these men will ever be in a position to be a part of our community - they are gone and I don't know if I would want to see most of them anyways. But the one man who has been around the program and continues to be a Gopher booster is Glen Mason. Mase left on horrible terms but I think he was smart enough and classy enough to not hold a grudge against the program. In his case, the athletic director replaced him with an extremely questionable hire but Mason is still heard from weekly years later on the radio as well as TV and is still well liked by many around here - I like that! I am not sure if he is a huge help to PJ Fleck but the man is still a wealth of information and you can tell he wants the program to be successful. Glen Mason should be welcomed back, respected and honored around here! I would love to talk to him about all the big wins but I am sure I would eventually have to say something about why we didn't recruit more defense!!! lol.

This should not be the case for the ex players. They should never be forgotten. One thing PJ Fleck has done that I really like is bring back some of the ex players and have some of them speak to the team and I have seen more than ever ex players going to the games and welcomed back. THESE should be the men we should honor the rest of their lives, even if they may not have enjoyed the highest level of success as they sweated, bled and were injured all for our favorite football team. In many cases their sons become college players and its always nice to get some of them playing for us. Every one of these guys should feel welcome back here no matter how it all went down with their coach!

Last edited:

Nice post. I agree about the players. Now that you mention it, the ex players were somewhat forgotten until PJ changed the narrative (of course there was probably a lot I didn't see behind the scenes). They were all over the place for the PSU game and that helps fuel loyalty and a desire to continue the lineage. They do need to be a major part of this program.
Also agree about Mason. I always liked him and wanted him to succeed.

Gopher fans who have been here for a long time have seen several coaches come and go, but in just about every case they left on a sour note and were rarely heard from - if ever - again and they moved on with very little fanfare. This seems to be the "nature of the beast". The former coaches each were the face of the program while they were here and the man we rallied around while they were here. They suddenly become the number one fan while they are here but when they leave most people are just glad they are gone.

Jim Wacker - deceased - after he was fired he said he would always be a Gopher fan and came back to see his team in the Sun Bowl - classy move
Jerry Kill - left on good terms - I thought he would be around the program for years - been through about 5 jobs in the last 6 years and has distanced himself from the program
Tracy Klaeys - out of coaching - we will probably never hear from him again, at least in a positive way

I do not know if any of these men will ever be in a position to be a part of our community - they are gone and I don't know if I would want to see most of them anyways. But the one man who has been around the program and continues to be a Gopher booster is Glen Mason. Mase left on horrible terms but I think he was smart enough and classy enough to not hold a grudge against the program. In his case, the athletic director replaced him with an extremely questionable hire but Mason is still heard from weekly years later on the radio as well as TV and is still well liked by many around here - I like that! I am not sure if he is a huge help to PJ Fleck but the man is still a wealth of information and you can tell he wants the program to be successful. Glen Mason should be welcomed back, respected and honored around here! I would love to talk to him about all the big wins but I am sure I would eventually have to say something about why we didn't recruit more defense!!! lol.

This should not be the case for the ex players. They should never be forgotten. One thing PJ Fleck has done that I really like is bring back some of the ex players and have some of them speak to the team and I have seen more than ever ex players going to the games and welcomed back. THESE should be the men we should honor the rest of their lives, even if they may not have enjoyed the highest level of success as they sweated, bled and were injured all for our favorite football team. In many cases their sons become college players and its always nice to get some of them playing for us. Every one of these guys should feel welcome back here no matter how it all went down with their coach!
The firing of Mase, AFTER he was given a salary extension, and AFTER a bowl game (thus handicapping his successor in recruiting) was a terrible mistake in every respect. The replacement hire was awful, and we are just now again developing All-Americans, as Mason did. He shows no bitterness and still lives in the Twin Cities, despite the remarkable climate.

I believe Mason realized that he was not cut out to coach 100%. There were many good points about him, but at the same time he didn't cut the mustard very well when dealing with coaches and recruits.
Due to that he hung around, does his current work very well that he is cut out for 100% and is enjoying it very well.

As to the players. I'm glad that Fleck is reaching out to the players that use to play here. Gives them some sense of belonging that yes they did play for the Gophers. Once a Gopher, always a Gopher.

Tracy Klaeys - out of coaching - we will probably never hear from him again, at least in a positive way

Say what you want about PJ Fleck. He is a class act. He is masterful at public relations and in bringing back Gopher Pride. Glen Mason is another one who always has good things to say about the program after he was fired and stayed positive.

My sense is that he and his wife enjoyed living here in the Twin Cities and became Minnesotans. He's got a good gig as a sports commentator. He's part of the Gopher Football family forever. If only he had fixed the Defense...

The firing of Mase, AFTER he was given a salary extension, and AFTER a bowl game (thus handicapping his successor in recruiting) was a terrible mistake in every respect. The replacement hire was awful, and we are just now again developing All-Americans, as Mason did. He shows no bitterness and still lives in the Twin Cities, despite the remarkable climate.
And if that had not happened, Fleck would not be coach now. Time is a stream, not a set of singularities.

Ifs and buts don’t apply or mean anything.

Cmon.

Say what you want about PJ Fleck. He is a class act. He is masterful at public relations and in bringing back Gopher Pride. Glen Mason is another one who always has good things to say about the program after he was fired and stayed positive.

My sense is that he and his wife enjoyed living here in the Twin Cities and became Minnesotans. He's got a good gig as a sports commentator. He's part of the Gopher Football family forever. If only he had fixed the Defense...
Thought I heard Glen say on Barreiro he was currently divorced.

We had a coach Klaeys? Maybe that guy is a loser but I know the coach named Claeys will be heard of again and in a positive way.

We had a coach Klaeys? Maybe that guy is a loser but I know the coach named Claeys will be heard of again and in a positive way.
He will get another shot at as an assistant somewhere but he will never be a head coach again and I doubt he will be seen here except on the opposing sidelines.....

I’ve never been more frustrated by a defense than under the Mason years, but I love Mason. I think he always speaks very kindly of the program, and he has Minnesota’s back when they talk about it on Big Ten Network. Ex players like Decker, Maxx Williams, and a few others tweet and retweet about the Gophers after big wins or I think I’ve seen them reshare articles about the team. Tony Dungy is a big promoter of the program still. Outside the program, I’ve also found it interesting, but the guys at BTN really love our current program. They speak highly of it every chance they have, from what I’ve seen. When they have Meyer on, he always shows the Gophers respect. Same with Gerry DiNardo.

He will get another shot at as an assistant somewhere but he will never be a head coach again and I doubt he will be seen here except on the opposing sidelines.....
If he's smart... he doesn't want to be a HC at a high level.

It's just not his thing I don't think.

DC though, that's a good gig for him.

I've heard nothing but great things about Fleck and connecting to past players. I took a look at Kill/Claeys staff to see where they are now..

Claeys- out although making good money to sit
Sawvel- out and making some money I'm sure
Sherels- out medical
Kill- Assistant at VT
Brian Anderson- RB's at K-State
Jeff Phelps- DL at Washington State
Dan O' Brien- HC at St. Thomas Academy
Pat Poore- TE's at Southern Illinois
Rob Reeves- TE's at Eastern Michigan
Eric Klein - Strength at Catholic Diocese of Memphis
Lee Grimes - Quality at Texas A&M
Jay Johnson- OC at Colorado
Will Peagle- Quality at Colorado
Bart Miller- OL at Wyoming

Also:
Keanon Cooper at Augsburg
Jack Lynn graduate assistant at Southern Illinois

There is no way the U would welcome Tracy Claeys back (thinking on field acknowledgment type thing, obviously can't stop opposing team from having him on staff), especially as long as Coyle is here, but even after that. I would think once Coyle is gone, maybe the U would kiss and make up with Kill, as I think his problem is more with Coyle than the U itself. I don't think Brew would be unwelcome, but due to his lack of success and short tenure, don't think the U would choose to bring him back for anything. Maybe the 150th anniversary of Gopher football?
I've heard nothing but great things about Fleck and connecting to past players. I took a look at Kill/Claeys staff to see where they are now..

Claeys- out although making good money to sit
Sawvel- out and making some money I'm sure
Sherels- out medical
Kill- Assistant at VT
Brian Anderson- RB's at K-State
Jeff Phelps- DL at Washington State
Dan O' Brien- HC at St. Thomas Academy
Pat Poore- TE's at Southern Illinois
Rob Reeves- TE's at Eastern Michigan
Eric Klein - Strength at Catholic Diocese of Memphis
Lee Grimes - Quality at Texas A&M
Jay Johnson- OC at Colorado
Will Peagle- Quality at Colorado
Bart Miller- OL at Wyoming

Also:
Keanon Cooper at Augsburg
Jack Lynn graduate assistant at Southern Illinois
Don't forget Limegrover is at PSU as OL coach.

I doubt Claeys is making any money. I believe his buyout from the U is done and since he resigned I would be surprised if he is getting anything from WSU. Usually coordinators are year to year anyway, so I doubt he had much owed to him either way.

I think Kill tried to get some former players involved as well, but it seems like Fleck is emphasizing it more (though it could be just publicizing it more).

Top Bottom