Even though I'm beating a dead horse...

Reaction score
...I can't seem to stop thinking about Gray's collegiate football experience thus far at Minnesota. To me, it's a significant story.

I've been watching a lot of college football this year (lots of fun). Watching WVU vs. UConn right now. I've noticed at least 4 or 5 quarterbacks this year that make me think of Gray. They're fairly tall, thin, fast, athletic, guys that run well and have strong arms with a smooth delivery. They're not superstars (except for the Auburn kid, Pryor and perhaps the Michigan kid) but they're definitely effective. They seem to be running spreads/pistols or whatever those offenses are called. Curious to know from those "in-the-know" whether Gray was considered to be in the top 20 of spread-type quarterbacks when he was recruited. Did a significant number of teams who had proved their commitment to the spread go hard after Gray? If so, it really makes me wonder why he chose Minnesota. Why would he take the risk with a no-name coach with little to no "history" running these types of offenses? Was he also open/interested in being a quarterback in a more traditional offense?

I realize many of you believe Gray's better off at WR for a number of reasons, most importantly for a possible pro career. It seems to me you're exactly right on this and it's impossible to refute it. I also remember many of you said to me very firmly that Gray should do whatever the coach asks of him to help the team win. If that's converting to WR, you clearly stated that he should do it. I disagreed and stated that the kid should pursue what he wants even if that means leaving Minnesota.

So, let me ask you this (and see if you can refrain from blasting the following analogy and just try to get my point): you interview for a job as salesman at XYZ company. XYZ spends considerable time and effort convincing you to join them in this role and that if all goes as expected, you're likely to make $500,000.00 annually. Six months, a year, two years later, after you've completed all your sales training, field training, etc., the company tells you that they really need some great guys like you in sales support and that you have the exact qualities they're looking for. In fact, you're their number one guy for that role. They've decided to move you into that role on Monday. And by the way, the role pays no incentive compensation. But, you'll make a nice living at $150,000.00 per year.

Ever since college, you've always dreamed of being a big time salesman and you've always believed you would make an outstanding salesman. Moreover, even though you don't need it, you've always set your sights on making big money. My question for you is this: Are you going to shut your mouth and "take one for the team" and move into the sales support role for the next few years even if it might pigeon hole you for the rest of your career? Or, instead, by the end of the day, will you call your head hunter and tell him to start looking for a big time sales position at another company for you?

I don't understand why he doesn't at least get some garbage time reps, or maybe a quarter of playing time here or there. Is he that bad at QB? If so, let's see it. Instead, we just lose one game after another with a QB who can't really run well and who is passing at something like 55%.

This is why I believe Adam Weber takes every snap, including in blowouts. I don't think the coaches consider Gray the number two QB. But they don't want him to know that and transfer, because he's still our best athlete. So rather than give Alipate some garbage time, they're stringing Gray along making him think he has a chance to be the starter next season. I think the plan was to complete spring training without naming a starter. Then in fall camp, Alipate (or someone else) wins the job, and it's too late for Gray to transfer and maintain two full years of eligibility, so he stays and plays WR.

I have no inside information; I'm only guessing based on the fact that any intelligent coaching staff would give next year's starter some reps in garbage time if there weren't any other reason not to do so. The OSU game could be interesting. If we're down by four touchdowns early in the fourth quarter, then what? Keep Weber in there? Makes no sense, unless there's something else going on.

btgc...sorry to hear about your troubles as a salesman. You remind me a little bit of an all-time-great salesman who went by the name of Willy Loman.

Any good salesman has got to know the territory...otherwise, if he runs away from a challenge, especially when a new coach is coming in to run his football program it just may be the death of that salesman.

Salesmn come and salesmen go, but the good ones stick around, work hard and see if they can hit the big sale...just once in their life. The territories some where else always look like easier pickings, but, sometimes the check bounces.

If a salesman starts believing the hype about himself, his sales might slip or not materialize. Hard work, finding a niche and taking care of business can really pay off for salesmen as well as a football player... Some salesmen are hyped up too much by their advanced billings, and they never can quite live up to the great expectations that the bosses and shareholders may have. Sometimes, the hype is all "stars" and "pie in the sky" and he may never quite recover from that injury that messed up his senior year of high school. Then, the fantasy recruiter ranking guys and gals just have to try to project what they thought theysaw earlier into the future. Sometimes plans have to change. Sometimes, it's hard to live up to all the hype. But, a good salesman...and a good football player can reinvent himself. And you never know what the change of leadership at the company or the football program may bring. I remember when JoeTiller came to Purdue, he found a senior qb who had never played a down before and a great receiver and between the two, they had a great season and the Boilers finished 2nd or
3rd in the conference very unexpectedly in Joe's first season. (Pre-Breeze) Our traveling salesman AND our aspiring qb/wr should hang in there. Now is NO time to be bailing out. But, what ever will be...will be. ; 0 )

Top Bottom