Estan Tyler Pioneer Press player of the year

Blizzard

Reaction score
Congrats to Estan Tyler. :)

----------

Estan Tyler cracked the St. Paul Johnson varsity lineup as a starting point guard when he was a freshman.

He hasn't left since.

The senior has guided the Governors to a 105-15 record in his four years running the show, including last year's Class AAA state championship. He has Johnson on the threshold of perhaps another title this week when the top-ranked Governors play in the state tournament.

"This kid has a knack for winning," Johnson coach Vern Simmons said. "That's what makes him special. He does whatever it takes, whether it's scoring, handing out assists, going for rebounds or diving for a loose ball. This kid can do it all."

Tyler, who loves to push the ball up the court in the Governors' up-tempo attack, also contributes on defense.

"I like steals, I like taking a foul or deflecting a pass," Tyler said. "I don't have just one thing I can do on a court.''

For his dominance, Tyler was selected the Pioneer Press boys basketball player of the year.

THE JOURNEY

Tyler's first exposure to basketball came when he was 3 years old. He and his father, Willie, the Johnson girls basketball coach, would watch tapes of Michael Jordan. After analyzing the tapes, Estan would try to imitate Jordan's moves and dunks on a Nerf hoop.

"We went through a couple of the hoops," he said. "I tried to do everything like Michael. Things worked on a Nerf hoop, but I couldn't do those things on a real basket. I was hooked on the game."

The Tylers lived in the St. Paul Central neighborhood, and he played for Jimmy Lee Rec Center. When he was 5, the family moved to the Johnson community.

"Growing up in the community, it was very important to me to play for Johnson and win a championship for the school," he said. "It's much easier to think about it and want it. Going after it and accomplishing it takes a lot of hard work and dedication."

Tyler began playing AAU ball at 14.

"When we were traveling around the country and playing top teams and top players, I discovered I was holding my own," he said. "I was stopping top guys on defense. I never was intimidated. That might have been the first time I thought maybe I could play at the Division I level."

THE CARETAKER

"He doesn't need to score because he does so many other things well," Governors coach Vern Simmons said.

"What put him on the floor as a freshman was that he could find the open man," Willie Tyler said of his son.

Willie Tyler coached his son for many years of his development.

"There are challenges, certainly, when you coach your son," he said. "You want the best for him. I'll shoot with him. It's like fishing. We'll talk while he takes shots. We catch up and have conversations about different things."

LIFE AS A CHAMPION

When Johnson won last season's Class AAA title and brought a boys basketball state title to St. Paul for the first time in more than a decade, Tyler was an instant celebrity.

"It was very cool being a champion; people recognized me wherever I went," he said. "They said they saw me on TV. They thanked us for bringing St. Paul a title. Little kids would tug at my shirt, telling me I was cool and wanting my autograph."

Tyler felt an increased responsibility as a role model in the community.

"These little guys tell me that they want to be like me when they get to high school," he said. "Some of the kids even told me that when they play video games, they pretend they're me. Those things felt good to hear. It also motivates me to continue playing hard and make good decisions."

NO SITTING BACK

With a state championship to his credit and a Division I scholarship waiting at Missouri-Kansas City, Tyler could have eased up this season, but that's not his style.

"I wasn't about to sit back my senior season," he said. "I came into the season highly motivated. I want to have that championship feeling again. Nothing beats that feeling, knowing you're the best in the state. I owe it to my school and St. Paul to give it my all."

With Maxie Rosenbloom, last year's Pioneer Press player of the year and the Governors' stoic leader, graduated, Tyler took the initiative to become Johnson's floor leader. "I had to take some of those younger guys under my wing," he said. "I've had to remind these guys that nothing is given to you. You have to go after it."

MOVING ON

Even though Tyler has enough credits to graduate, he continues to be engaged in his schoolwork by taking additional classes. He made unofficial recruiting visits to North Dakota State, South Dakota and Wisconsin. His only official visit was to Missouri-Kansas City, a member of the Summit League.

"I loved it there," he said. "I loved how everyone was together and so close. It felt like Johnson."

He committed to play for the Kangaroos in November.

TOOLS OF HIS TRADE

Brain: "I watch a lot of film and do a lot of mental preparation that way. That gets me focused on the opposition. I try to think of different ways to get past defenders."

Eyes: "A lot of times I can see people open before they know they're going to be open. I can see plays develop, and that helps me in getting everyone involved on offense. When I'm driving in on a guy, I'll take a look at how his body is positioned. That helps me decide what I want to do."

Mouth: "I'm a quiet leader. If I see something that I don't like or something where a teammate needs to work on something, I'll go talk to them, but in a quiet way."

Upper body: "I'm a right-handed dribbler, but I can do the left, I think, equally well. I've worked on my upper-body strength, which has helped my shooting and passing. I've gone deeper into the low post, and my strength helps when I go against those big guys. We don't have a big rebounder on our team so I have to go in and help."

Legs and feet: "I have speed to get from the low post and move the other way. I'm a lot faster than most of my teammates, which helps us in transition. The quick feet help me on defense and put me in a position to make a steal."

"To win it again means everything. When we step on the court, it feels like the entire city of St. Paul is in our corner."

"The thing that stands out to me is his composure. I don't think I have ever seen him upset or rattled. He never lets you see him sweat."

It's about time SPP stops calling it POY award. Start calling it the SPP St. Paul POY. It's a great recognition of the St Paul player who for the most part seems to fall under the radar of the Trib etc. Similar to Max Rosenbloom last year. Great kid, leader but to say he was the POY was ridiculous. Unless POY stands for Person of the Year. Then I can buy it.

Visits

Kudos to Estan.

The only part of the story I did not like was this:

He made unofficial recruiting visits to North Dakota State, South Dakota and Wisconsin.

After Jordan Taylor I don't want to lose any point guards to Bo.

Kudos to Estan.

The only part of the story I did not like was this:

He made unofficial recruiting visits to North Dakota State, South Dakota and Wisconsin.

After Jordan Taylor I don't want to lose any point guards to Bo.

I thought he was signed (or at least verballed) to Missouri-Kansas City.

Tyler seems like he's already better than Maverick. He's quicker and more explosive. He's one of these guys that is small, but will hit shots, defend, pass and be a nice player. He's not a top of the line recruit but he could have brought something to the U. Best of luck to him in KC.

Still wondering why a university in the middle of the U.S. has a kangaroo as their mascot. Best of luck to him though.

I'd have a lot more respect if he (and the DOZENS of others in this week's state tourney) played for his neighborhood school. The 3A's and 4A's are basically all-star teams. Where's the fun in that?
Combine this with the watered-down 32-team field and you get a 1/4 full Target Center and almost no interest from casual fans. It's become a joke.

I'd have a lot more respect if he (and the DOZENS of others in this week's state tourney) played for his neighborhood school. The 3A's and 4A's are basically all-star teams. Where's the fun in that?
Combine this with the watered-down 32-team field and you get a 1/4 full Target Center and almost no interest from casual fans. It's become a joke.

It's most def become a joke, if they would have seeded the 3A tourney more balanced we could have ended up with a Columbia Heights sv. Johnson Championship match up. instead if they both advance they play eachother in the 2nd round.

but to the best of my knowledge he does play for his neighborhood school.
He grew up in st. paul, playing for Jimmy Lee. Now he plays for St. paul Johnson.
Johnson is probably 5-6 miles from Jimmy Lee, sounds like his neighborhood to me.

The article says he lives in the Johnson neighborhood. I stand corrected.
Good for him.
But the open enrollment thing is still killing HS hoops.

So, you read the article, but you somehow missed the next line, which stated that when he was 5, his family moved to the Johnson community?

Congrats Estan! I can definetely see him being one of those MN players that goes under the radar and ebds up being a scorer putting up 15-20 a game by the time he's an upperclassmen at a tiny school.

dang

I was really hoping on a hgts Johnson game "I" feel cheated

Top Bottom