ESPNU Top 150 recurit expelled for tweets

Not very wise decisions on his part and his parents didn't do a good job keeping him out of it either.

It sounds like his coach was warning him...yet he ignored the advice to stop using social media. I think Michigan is smart to stop recruiting him. It raises too many character questions.

My personal favorite was his tweet to @UMichGoBlue07. I know his tweets are inappropriate but something tells me someone who tweets recruits with that username doesn't leave them alone.

he was doin this at don bosco, too? the number one team in America if I'm not mistaken?

Why was the school even watching what he said on Twitter? This is a reason why I don't like Catholic schools.

Why was the school even watching what he said on Twitter? This is a reason why I don't like Catholic schools.

You're trying to deflect the blame to the school? Really?

Either way, he didn't have to go to this school. Just like BYU and the basketball player last year. People may not like the rules, but they all should know what they're getting into before hand.

Edit: And he was even warned many times to stop, but didn't. No one to blame but himself.

Edit #2: Who knows what the whole story was. Maybe someone initially told the school about his comments and then they looked into it. People are fired from their jobs all the time because of what they put on twitter or facebook. I don't see this being any different.

You're trying to deflect the blame to the school? Really?

Either way, he didn't have to go to this school. Just like BYU and the basketball player last year. People may not like the rules, but they all should know what they're getting into before hand.

Edit: And he was even warned many times to stop, but didn't. No one to blame but himself.

Edit #2: Who knows what the whole story was. Maybe someone initially told the school about his comments and then they looked into it. People are fired from their jobs all the time because of what they put on twitter or facebook. I don't see this being any different.
I just don't think a school should care what their students are putting on social media. BYU you have to sign something saying you will follow the honor code. Unless this school does something like that, I don't think they should be able to punish for something that doesn't happen on school grounds/at a school event. And how do you know he didn't have to go to the school? Maybe his parents didn't give him a choice in the matter?

I just don't think a school should care what their students are putting on social media. BYU you have to sign something saying you will follow the honor code. Unless this school does something like that, I don't think they should be able to punish for something that doesn't happen on school grounds/at a school event. And how do you know he didn't have to go to the school? Maybe his parents didn't give him a choice in the matter?

Virtually every private school requires that you sign a code of conduct agreement. Regardless, there is no way any school wants this kind of negative attention. At a minimum he should be suspended. I personally applaud the school for taking this stance. Our culture is getting a little out of control when it comes to this kind of thing and making excuses for something like this will only allow it to continue or get worse.

Virtually every private school requires that you sign a code of conduct agreement. Regardless, there is no way any school wants this kind of negative attention. At a minimum he should be suspended. I personally applaud the school for taking this stance. Our culture is getting a little out of control when it comes to this kind of thing and making excuses for something like this will only allow it to continue or get worse.
I went to private school. I never signed a code of conduct agreement.

Most private schools require you to do so. They are businesses and don't want their brand damaged. I say good for the school. Kid is a moron. Girls having "organisms." He is NBA ready.

I went to private school. I never signed a code of conduct agreement.

Either you or your parents did, for sure. You probably just signed it without reading it, like most people at mortgage closings do...

FYI:

Wright, a senior cornerback, was warned about social media consequences, according to (HC) Toal. Wright's account, which had more than 1,600 followers, has been deleted.

"We told them about 10 or 15 times to get off (Twitter) and not to be involved in it, but there is always somebody who thinks he knows better." Toal told ESPNNewYork.com. "What he wrote was pretty bad, to be honest with you, I can't even say what he wrote.

"He was told on numerous occasions not to be Twittering and there are consequences for his actions."

He was warned. He paid.

Either you or your parents did, for sure. You probably just signed it without reading it, like most people at mortgage closings do...
I signed something saying I agreed with the student handbook, but none of that dealt with conduct outside of school.

It's called having standards. Not even particularly high standards, considering that they tolerated it for a while. But by behaving the way he did, young Wright showed that he didn't believe what the school had been teaching him. Then it was his defiance that got him expelled. Moron.

A private school can pretty much kick anyone they want out for anything they want. That's why I laugh at vouchers for the solution to the inner city school problem (well one of the reasons I laugh at that solution).

Sorry that was off topic.

I signed something saying I agreed with the student handbook, but none of that dealt with conduct outside of school.

I would venture to say that the student handbook did deal with situations outside of school. For instance, almost every school (and the MSHL) has rules about drinking, outside of school. I went to all catholic schools growing up and we always had to sign something about the honor code. I'd be pretty surprised if the thing you signed didn't have some catch all provision that would have allowed them to kick you out for doing things outside of school.

Lastly, with the invention of twitter and the iphone, I imagine he might have been tweeting during school too.

A private school can pretty much kick anyone they want out for anything they want. That's why I laugh at vouchers for the solution to the inner city school problem (well one of the reasons I laugh at that solution).

Sorry that was off topic.

The voucher program as a solution to the plight of inner city schools is one of these logical ideas that has ever been put forward. I have to the conclusion that the only people who support it are: (1) incapable of understand that numbers can be VERY manipulated; (2) they really don't care.

The voucher program as a solution to the plight of inner city schools is one of these logical ideas that has ever been put forward. I have to the conclusion that the only people who support it are: (1) incapable of understand that numbers can be VERY manipulated; (2) they really don't care.

whoa bob ya drunk? its sunday...too much communion wine i hope! haha lol

The truth...

The fact of the matter is that any public school can impose consequences for actions taken off school property and outside of school hours, including social media posts, if the behavior causes a significant disruption to the school culture. That is why you see high school students being declared ineligible because a picture of them drinking at a weekend party surfaced on Facebook. Many hazing incidents are uncovered because of social media as well. I would imagine private schools have even more leeway on how they handle these situations.

Outside of the facts...he simply should have known better. Kids are told all the time now days that what you post is public and if you don't want your parents, principal, potential employer, or priest to see it, you better not post it. What a stupid way to cost yourself a great opportunity.

Top Bottom