ESPNU 150

Sheer curiousity, do you think ESPN would rate based on the players' potential to reach and participate in the NFL and not their potential to contribute at the college level? I don't really know anything about the ESPN rankings, but I've seen excerpts and they get really technical, like a RBs ability to swivel their hips, etc. Perhaps they see a lot of the guys listed in their 150 as those who have the ability to progress physically and mentally at the college level and then again in the pro level? Just a guess.

Seantrel at #4 and Gjere is not even on it. what a joke.Thoughts/reasons?

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recr.../ncf/recruiting/tracker/espnu150?&season=2010

Reasons: Rankings are biased and are often based on where the players are from and who is recruiting the players.

Thoughts: Ranking the top 150 players is a futile exercise and can't possibly be done with any kind of accuracy at all. It is a great industry because it gives people something to talk about the other 8 months of the year.

Do you like Gjere any less because he is not in the top 150? I didn't think so.

Ranking the top 150 players is a futile exercise and can't possibly be done with any kind of accuracy at all.

Saying it hasn't "any kind of accuracy at all" implies that it is meaningless, and that it is not indicative of the quality of the players listed. In fact, as has been listed on this forum before, there is a strong correlation between star rankings and the number of players honored with All-Conference, All-America, Heisman, NFL draft selection, etc.

Are there outliers? Of course. But even if only 25% of the guys on this list make the NFL, that says something, as I can guarantee far less than 25% of the guys not on this list will make the NFL.

No one is saying that it is to be taken as gospel of the top 150 players, in numerical order, but to say it isn't at least somewhat accurate is in itself inaccurate.

Reasons: Rankings are biased and are often based on where the players are from and who is recruiting the players.

Thoughts: Ranking the top 150 players is a futile exercise and can't possibly be done with any kind of accuracy at all. It is a great industry because it gives people something to talk about the other 8 months of the year.

Do you like Gjere any less because he is not in the top 150? I didn't think so.
I agree with you. I've always thought this was another instance of ESPN tweaking things a little so they can talk more about the programs they get paid more to talk about.

I think it means something, but I also agree that if Gjere had signed with Ohio State, he'd probably be in the Top 150.

Top Bottom